• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 60th Birthday to Fantastic Four #1, The Birth Of The Marvel U
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2021 at 2:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

My personal favourite book from the early phase is the villain team-up, issue 6, which has some of Kirby’s best ever Silver Age art in it.

That said, the introductory splash page to me looks quite a bit simpler and looser than what he draws later on in the story, but, for some reason, I’ve always absolutely loved it.

ff006_03.jpg?w=768

There’s a sense of wonder, it’s still early days when The Torch’s control of his ability is evolving and there’s an energetic, rough crudeness to his appearance, just as The Thing’s skin was in the process of rapidly changing from dinosaur hide to stony plates.

It’s always had that powerful effect on me; not the best image in the book, hardly Kirby’s career peak, but, despite having no idea really as to why, in that context, I think it’s so absolutely brilliant, it is one of my lifelong, all-time favourites from any comic, going all the way back to when I first experienced it in the 70s in a Marvel Treasury Edition.

4 and 6 are the two best early issues I agree.   In general, all the early namor appearances were great.   Much more than so than Doom. 

BDD8A255-1126-4758-AF33-C04173EA6013.jpeg

On 8/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Miket123 said:

One of the things I enjoyed most about early FF is Kirby drawing Johnny as basically living fire when he used his powers. 

I just think that looks wayyyyy cooler than the actual design he finally settled on. 

I feel the same way about the Thing. I liked the original look before he became "rocky". I know many people didn't like the Byne run, but I did like the idea of bringing back his early look.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:27 AM, Miket123 said:

One of the things I enjoyed most about early FF is Kirby drawing Johnny as basically living fire when he used his powers. 

I just think that looks wayyyyy cooler than the actual design he finally settled on. 

Yup. One reason why I like the splash page from FF 6 that I posted.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, mysterymachine said:

I feel the same way about the Thing. I liked the original look before he became "rocky". I know many people didn't like the Byne run, but I did like the idea of bringing back his early look.

Byrne’s version was great.  A much more refined look taken from that early period when it was more dinosaur hide than rocky plates…

d34db181b92f95aa471d846bc6b082f2.jpg

byrnefantasticfour19.jpg?w=468