• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GCG grading for Detatched cover
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi - Overstreet grade description for 2.0 says a book may have a detached cover.

Does CGC use this same grading guidance for detached covers?

If not, what is the best grade GCG will assign to a book with a detached cover?

And as a separate question, what if the detached cover is not otherwise perfect?  Will other defects like a partial spine split and moderate edge chipping affect the grade here?

Thank you for your help.

On 8/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, JZQX said:

Of course. Why wouldn't it?

Absolutely. All detached covers are not the same. assuming at a 3.0 fully detached cover...add the following: partial split..drop a grade or two...complete split...drop two or three grades...missing a wrap...drop four or five grades...etc...my opinion...

Edited by Funnybooks

My understanding has been that the max a book will grade with a completely detached cover is 4.0.

Looking today I could find a couple of examples, but nothing higher than this grade. 

Screenshot_20210808-122808_Chrome.thumb.jpg.77edfac462ef7d0dbf42bf8cf87f4563.jpg

You'd think the book would have to be otherwise flawless, but this Jr would perhaps suggest otherwise.

Screenshot_20210808-122743_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9ba5a3f3ee622b852cd26920ae2f2ed.jpg

How this USA received a 4.0 with both the cover and centerfold detached is somewhat baffling.

Screenshot_20210808-122539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.179f16f8d8b33c5a2cc21f52ddd578f8.jpg

Thank you for your help and insight!

On 8/8/2021 at 2:36 PM, grendelbo said:

My understanding has been that the max a book will grade with a completely detached cover is 4.0.

Looking today I could find a couple of examples, but nothing higher than this grade. 

Screenshot_20210808-122808_Chrome.thumb.jpg.77edfac462ef7d0dbf42bf8cf87f4563.jpg

You'd think the book would have to be otherwise flawless, but this Jr would perhaps suggest otherwise.

Screenshot_20210808-122743_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9ba5a3f3ee622b852cd26920ae2f2ed.jpg

How this USA received a 4.0 with both the cover and centerfold detached is somewhat baffling.

Screenshot_20210808-122539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.179f16f8d8b33c5a2cc21f52ddd578f8.jpg

On 8/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, djzombi said:

I'm honestly shocked to see comics with detached covers get a 4.0 grade.  I've been grading per Overstreet standards for decades and detached cover would automatically be 2.0; 4.0 may be detached at ONE staple.  
Just another way in which CGC's grading standards are different from Overstreet.  

Yeah.

I've been thinking more and more about this.

Overstreet is a great place to begin learning at how to grade. Other resources such as those specific to certain sellers (ie, Mile High, mycomicshop, Heritage) can help hone skills as will online tutorials and our very own PGM.

But CGC is clearly the hobby's leader at grading and increasingly the standard by which many of us use to judge our own books - those that we keep, sell or buy.

When I play in PGM I'm increasingly less likely to grade a book according to my own standards and beliefs (which are an amalgamation from a lot of sources and I have my own pet peeves, defects I detest and others I can live with) but more according to what I think CGC will use.

It gets hard though since CGC is not public about their standards and criteria. It takes looking at a lot of slabs which hopefully don't have hidden flaws to figure out any steadfast "rules." And it seems pretty evident these rules change and are sometimes loosey-goosey.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, B2D327 said:

Are we only talking universal grades because I recall seeing green labels as high as 9.0 with a detached cover. I believe it was a DD 158 from about a year ago

Yes.

I think most books are receiving Qualified labels for this defect if they are Bronze or younger.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that it's worth noting the 4.5s were graded during a 'loose' era in CGC's history.

Also one is a squarebound, so no staple tears.  That's kind of a different thing than detached from staples.  The other is a single staple book, so maybe they consider detached from 1 staple less of a defect than detached from two? 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, buttock said:

Also one is a squarebound, so no staple tears.  That's kind of a different thing than detached from staples.  The other is a single staple book, so maybe they consider detached from 1 staple less of a defect than detached from two? 

Most excellent observation of these books and a very valid reason for the 4.5 grades! Thanks for the input.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, buttock said:

Great information, and I think you're correct on both inferences.