• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things you hate but see all the time in comic art
1 1

103 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, Amazeron said:

Overly crowded pages (art included). Sometimes there’s just to much plot relevance, narration, panels, word bubbles, etc. crammed all on one page. 

I love him, but John Byrne.

lf.jpeg.240003a919bd3e8afea4c676e73601b8.jpeg

On 8/13/2021 at 10:00 PM, grendelbo said:

I love him, but John Byrne.

lf.jpeg.240003a919bd3e8afea4c676e73601b8.jpeg

As much as I like Byrne's stories, that is a bit dense with words, almost on par with EC's Al Feldstein. Who's also one of my all-time favourites, despite that.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, Ken Aldred said:

As much as I like Byrne's stories, that is a bit dense with words, almost on par with EC's Al Feldstein. Who's also one of my all-time favourites, despite that.

letterers get paid by the page.  I bet they hate seeing scripts like this.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:34 AM, Kerdese said:

I hate it when artists feel the need to shadow the tip of the nose. Makes the character look like a cat. The tip of the nose is never shadowed like this. It’s one of the shiniest parts of the face. 

0CBE3A2D-EE3F-4D00-ADEC-611DE2924884.jpeg

Those look like J Scott Campbell's work.

I noticed this all the time when I followed Chris Bachalo's artwork back in the 90s on Shade and Generation X.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/13/2021 at 5:22 PM, Ken Aldred said:
On 8/13/2021 at 3:34 AM, Kerdese said:

I hate it when artists feel the need to shadow the tip of the nose. Makes the character look like a cat. The tip of the nose is never shadowed like this. It’s one of the shiniest parts of the face. 

0CBE3A2D-EE3F-4D00-ADEC-611DE2924884.jpeg

Expand  

Those look like J Scott Campbell's work.

I noticed this all the time when I followed Chris Bachalo's artwork back in the 90s on Shade and Generation X.

Yes its Campbell,  which I assume is a artist choice, but I think it is meant to be freckles for a redhead. I have freckles and dont have red hair, but my mom had more freckles and red hair. So I think it's an artist choice, but frame of reference comes to mind from the viewer. :tink:

On 8/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes its Campbell,  which I assume is a artist choice, but I think it is meant to be freckles for a redhead. I have freckles and dont have red hair, but my mom had more freckles and red hair. So I think it's an artist choice, but frame of reference comes to mind from the viewer. :tink:

Campbell here is how ya do freckles fyi:

Screenshot 2021-08-13 3.45.29 PM.png

On 8/13/2021 at 11:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes its Campbell,  which I assume is a artist choice, but I think it is meant to be freckles for a redhead. I have freckles and dont have red hair, but my mom had more freckles and red hair.

Classic description of a red hair recessive gene carrier.  I'm the same, though no redheads in the family.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, bob jr said:

I don't think the artist was worried about her hair , he must've been a butt - man cause " baby got back " if you get my drift :facepalm:

:whistle:

On 8/13/2021 at 6:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Really dislike the Campbell nose shading.  Has ruined, for me, many great covers he has done.  ASM #4 variant to name but one of many.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, Poekaymon said:

Really dislike the Campbell nose shading.  Has ruined, for me, many great covers he has done.  ASM #4 variant to name but one of many.

It makes no sense.  None.  WHY
Makes me think they have a cold and runny nose and stuff.  rubbed red with tissues.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:21 AM, bob jr said:

I don't think the artist was worried about her hair , he must've been a butt - man cause " baby got back " if you get my drift :facepalm:

Don't even try to understand this artist. That way lies madness.