• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
7 7

458 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

First issue of an incredibly tough (and very intriguing) title. Even though the later issues with action covers and big names like Dashiell Hammett or covers by the likes of Earle Bergey are surely more highly prized, I'm not too shocked.  I don't know if the printing defect affected the price much, but it couldn't have hurt.

Brief Stories was published and edited by Will Kofoed who would have a long career in the pulps and later work in comics and is the same outfit that would later put out Laughter and first and most issued girlie pulp, Paris Nights.  I'm thinking some sort of financial misfortune strikes in the late 20s where these seemingly successful titles are sold off, and Kofoed has to go to work for Fiction House as editor of Fight Stories (where his brother also does a good amount of writing over the years).

Edited by Darwination

On 5/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, Darwination said:

Nice copy!  I recognize twinsies from a recent Heritage sale, September 1938:

29001305%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

I haven't seen a hard ID on this one but am pretty sure we are looking at William Soare:
https://www.pulpartists.com/Soare.html

some comps:
39-12,MystNvls.jpg

39-01,DblActD.jpg

Looks right thanks 

Posted (edited)

The bottom one is the winner by me.  I've noticed the cover a couple times before.  Love the thick outline on the looming villain and the cartoonish eyes.  My fave part is the lettering in the circle bottom left (thumbsu

Edited by Darwination

On 6/2/2024 at 4:38 PM, Darwination said:

But of course my internet is wonky all day and goes out during the Sunday auction (and the Vols baseball game) :makepoint:

Whoops forgot about this one.  Prices o the spicys doesn't seem too insane. Looks like in a number of cases grading didn't even cause a bump in price? Some books look like they even lost money like that 3 issue lot. 

On 6/2/2024 at 7:55 PM, waaaghboss said:

Whoops forgot about this one.  Prices o the spicys doesn't seem too insane. Looks like in a number of cases grading didn't even cause a bump in price? Some books look like they even lost money like that 3 issue lot. 

The Spicys finished shockingly low. Some nice-looking books... in slabs!... hammered in the $100-200 range. Got to be some unhappy sellers out there.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that Spicy Detective ThothAmon posted was one I was gobsmacked at.  I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a shying away from purple I wasn't expecting as much of.  Dunno if it's the trimming there (which isn't terrible by any means) or the glue (so damn common), but that's a pretty book.

I thought this was a solid and worthy result as far as a nice looking red circle (always an intriguing area as far as collector behavior) you don't see often:

Screenshot(243).thumb.png.ee45a62a862538f02659ffb3ab1ab72f.png

I thought the Mystery Adventures went kind of low (and these are two really good ones imo).  First one is kind of beat but the second is pretty nice

Screenshot(244).thumb.png.168b602677dfc94bd986bb85886b61e9.png

Screenshot(245).thumb.png.4a970fc0a7689a7032ee42b2549e243a.png

Color touch kill this or the chipping?  Either way this is a book that would have gone for far more without the resto recognized for sure (which is a good thing for those that care - I certainly like to know about color touch)

Screenshot(246).thumb.png.c0939ad2829e004b6e2fb525d812fceb.png

I like this Saunders cover and it's in nice grade, but as much as anything I'd have thought the word Marvel might bump this higher

Screenshot(248).thumb.png.17482817d59f74d83145b9f28a18ac5c.png

Didn't notice the tape on this one, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a copy this nice go for $100

Screenshot(250).thumb.png.c319f9b55c63d32124b63bea6313c7e6.png

Just a weird auction (and I need to stop missing the weekly ones now that more pulp is showing up) :screwy:

Edited by Darwination

On 6/3/2024 at 1:00 AM, waaaghboss said:

I think a couple conclusions might be drawn from these results.  Lower grade books, even graded, aren't garnering the frenzy they were even a year ago.  The novelty of pulp auction on HA is wearing off a bit.  I know myself I still try to watch them but the draw isn't as strong, and swapping them to the front of the comic auction rather than at the end means I've now missed the last 2.  Newer collectors drawn in by the grading and attention don't seem to be as interested in lower grade books, as some of the common stuff in mid grade is still selling for surprising numbers while other books like these spicys are going for probably what they would raw.

Higher end books still seem to get some decent numbers.  This spicy hit 2k today on ebay!  I just hope the seller does better with shipping, as his auctions last week were sent out in thin cardboard envelopes :facepalm:

Screenshot_20240602_215843.thumb.jpg.617121fea17e62c7c6e59571ce0d2678.jpg

She’s a beauty. Those from the earlier auctions were some nice books if my memory serves me with my Hail Marys falling woefully short of the mark.