• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

The WWW is the crazy one to me.  I love Baumhofer, and it's striking as hell, but it's got a giant chip out of the corner and big tear on the right side and multiple pieces of tape at the spine.  WWW might be my favorite western pulp, and I think it deserves recognition, but I can't help but feel this is a book I could find in a five dollar box somewhere.  If I only knew where :D

Late era Fiction House has been collectible for a while (and is fairly common) but I think it's just going to do better and better with all the GGA, bondage, heroines and the like.  In fact, I'm surprised that Senorita Scorpion didn't do even better.  The Masked Rider did well!

It was an interesting auction with all sorts of oddball titles, was kind of funny to see bidders not know how to handle the romances.  The high prices (historically) for some of those lots was nice to see.

The Ace-High you've pictured is totally frickin iconic, but I thought this one was even better.

Ace-High_Western_Magazine_1936-08_cover_

I liked this kind of spooky Parkhurst, too.

Wild_West_Stories_and_Complete_Novels_Ma

The WWW has a great skeleton cover and teeters on horror. 1933 was a long time ago… but that does seem pretty high. Then, when are you going to see another one?

Pulps are just plain rare period. Unlike comics most have never been seen before.

Interesting that even Western, Romance and other genres are seeing big prices. Folks looking for those odd and unusual ones are figuring it out. That and folks who would have never looked twice at them are “getting the fever”. Many of these if they were comics would be sitting in boxes somewhere.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, Robot Man said:

The WWW has a great skeleton cover and teeters on horror. 1933 was a long time ago… but that does seem pretty high. Then, when are you going to see another one?

Pulps are just plain rare period. Unlike comics most have never been seen before.

Interesting that even Western, Romance and other genres are seeing big prices. Folks looking for those odd and unusual ones are figuring it out. That and folks who would have never looked twice at them are “getting the fever”. Many of these if they were comics would be sitting in boxes somewhere.

Absolutely, you see one you've never seen before, and you know you might not see it again - definitely the wonder of the pulps.  There's a ton of books on my huntlist I've never seen for sale.  And probably a ton of books I've never even seen images of that belong on my huntlist :D

That's not to say I'm not seeing books I've seen dozens and dozens of times fetching crazy prices in these recent auctions :kidaround:

Pulp Magazines Showcase Auction Featuring the Malcolm Edwards Collection at Heritage coming up in a couple days, a big one.  A ton of books, esp. Doc, Ghost Stories, Horror Stories, Operator 5, Magic Carpet/Oriental/a ton of Weird Tales, Terror Tales.  At least a few books I'm not sure I've seen.  Not too many in super high grade but just a huge collection.  Can the market absorb so much pulp at once?  Probably :D

I'd be hard pressed to pick out the top 3 books, but you'd think there will be bidders battling over some of the early Weird Tales.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:05 AM, Darwination said:

Pulp Magazines Showcase Auction Featuring the Malcolm Edwards Collection at Heritage coming up in a couple days, a big one.  A ton of books, esp. Doc, Ghost Stories, Horror Stories, Operator 5, Magic Carpet/Oriental/a ton of Weird Tales, Terror Tales.  At least a few books I'm not sure I've seen.  Not too many in super high grade but just a huge collection.  Can the market absorb so much pulp at once?  Probably :D

I'd be hard pressed to pick out the top 3 books, but you'd think there will be bidders battling over some of the early Weird Tales.

I'm eyeballing some of the terror and horror stories, but HA auctions seem to hit unusually high prices.  There are a couple "restored" copies I might have a shot at 😇

I'm liking a lot of the Baumhofer Doc Savages, not really a title I collect tho.  Some neat Ghost Stories, too.  The horror/menace selection is great, but not really books I collect, and I'll never recover from having seen the beauties in the thread here :roflmao:

The Thrill Books are super cool - I can see one of them is getting action.

The run of Weird Tales is something else.

Edited by Darwination

On 12/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, davet75 said:

This looks like the copy that sold at last year's Windy City Pulp Con for $14k.  It was considered an astonishingly high hammer price,  but looks like it paid off if it's the same copy.   

I'm just embarrassed I didn't recognize and predict as the top book!  

Nothing else was even close.  Top 9 books were all Weird Tales.

I never have managed to catch the R.E.H. bug...

On 12/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, davet75 said:

This looks like the copy that sold at last year's Windy City Pulp Con for $14k.  It was considered an astonishingly high hammer price,  but looks like it paid off if it's the same copy.   

Is that’s the same copy from Windy City for $14k the consignor barely made any money, perhaps lost some. 

Edited by manetteska

On 12/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, manetteska said:

Is that’s the same copy from WW for $14k the consignor barely made any money, perhaps lost some. 

High rollers can apparently negotiate a minimal sellers premium for their wares.  I'm sure a savvy consigner with high demand items would negotiate a more favorable rate.  

On 12/16/2023 at 2:32 PM, davet75 said:

High rollers can apparently negotiate a minimal sellers premium for their wares.  I'm sure a savvy consigner with high demand items would negotiate a more favorable rate.  

Let’s say he/she negotiated 0% commission. It’s $15k prior to BP so $1000 win. Then if there were any additional costs at Windy City, shipping/insurance to Heritage, etc. 

Unless you’re saying some of that BP can be adjusted as well. 

Was the Windy City copy the Edwards copy?

On 12/16/2023 at 3:38 PM, manetteska said:

Let’s say he/she negotiated 0% commission. It’s $15k prior to BP so $1000 win. Then if there were any additional costs at Windy City, shipping/insurance to Heritage, etc. 

Unless you’re saying some of that BP can be adjusted as well. 

Was the Windy City copy the Edwards copy?

I know that there is a lot of negotiation space from many angles.   I have been offered a zero percent seller's premium by Heritage for a specific item i own.  And i'm a tiny fish in a huge ocean of buyers and sellers.   

I was checking the pics from the Windy City auction and it looks like a different copy than the one sold by Heritage.  The Windy city copy was nicer,  but I don't know the provenance, and it was not mentioned in the description. See below.  Considering the Windy City auction was April 2023, it still wouldn't have been a bad quick turnaround.  

Screenshot_20231216_160915_DuckDuckGo.jpg

On 12/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, davet75 said:

I know that there is a lot of negotiation space from many angles.   I have been offered a zero percent seller's premium by Heritage for a specific item i own.  And i'm a tiny fish in a huge ocean of buyers and sellers.   

I was checking the pics from the Windy City auction and it looks like a different copy than the one sold by Heritage.  The Windy city copy was nicer,  but I don't know the provenance, and it was not mentioned in the description. See below.  Considering the Windy City auction was April 2023, it still wouldn't have been a bad quick turnaround.  

Screenshot_20231216_160915_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This was not the Windy City copy that we sold in April 2023 at our auction.  

On 12/16/2023 at 5:10 PM, Pulpvault said:

This was not the Windy City copy that we sold in April 2023 at our auction.  

Then somebody should tell Windy City that they posted the wrong image, since I got directly from their 2023 auction website.  Check the link yourself:

https://windycitypulpandpaper.com/home/?page_id=37

Screenshot_20231216_182445_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20231216_183136_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by davet75

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  The image you posted from the WC website was the one that sold at WC.

What I meant was that the Heritage copy was not the one that sold at WC.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:26 PM, davet75 said:

Then somebody should tell Windy City that they posted the wrong image, since I got directly from their 2023 auction website.  Check the link yourself:

https://windycitypulpandpaper.com/home/?page_id=37

Screenshot_20231216_182445_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20231216_183136_DuckDuckGo.jpg

On 1/4/2024 at 4:02 PM, Pulpvault said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  The image you posted from the WC website was the one that sold at WC.

What I meant was that the Heritage copy was not the one that sold at WC.

Thanks for the clarification,  that makes a lot more sense!

I actually went and looked at a couple items I won at the windy city auction and compared them to the images on the website to make sure I wasn't confused.   :foryou:

An all story Oct 1912 is coming up in seven days from HA.  Complete unrestored in VG, be interesting to see how it fares.  Already at 39k.

1.thumb.jpg.79b7204e87462c3a4f5fc644430c8a10.jpg

More in my wheelhouse is a bound copy with the mars trilogy.  Looks tempting but not sure how the covers are.

1.thumb.jpg.6c048bfb73aaaa6c95849dcb6fc11a70.jpg

And of course a couple shudder pulps im gunning for but based on HA price histories I'm not holding my breath :)