• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 2:58 AM, waaaghboss said:

1600 on ebay recently, listed as fine+ with tan pages.  I didn't come close, about 1k short on my last bid xD

123.thumb.jpg.8f8fa57bd2426c9eb0904d629a6fe8e9.jpg

This detective mag went for 2175, listed as VG/high grade.  Caught me by surprise, but didn't realize it was the first issue when I threw a much lower bid at it.  Figured it went high because of the strength of Hubbard's writing.  Listed as scarce in Bookery.

123.jpg

There is a small pile of mid grade Weird Tales ending on HA tomorrow.  I have bids on a few, but pretty sure I won't get them.  Be curious to see where mid grade weird tales end up, spans late 20's to early 40's with a couple Brundage covers, and the third printed Conan story.

Expand  

"I’ve been getting into pulps slowly over the last couple of years. Is Hubbard really heavily collected?"
> Only by Scientologists. They have pushed up the prices on pulps with L Ron's stories.

"For me that cover is the big draw; there are quite a few Popular Detectives with incredible cover art."
I have never bought a pulp because of the cover. 

"I’m curious to see if the pulp market is as cover-driven as comic books (particularly pre-code)."
> No. Pulps are collected primarily for the fiction.

"I know previous generations collected them for their content, but with CGC slabbing pulps I could see that shifting."
Not among pulp collectors. How does one read the fiction in a slabbed pulp? It not as if you can read the stories online.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:32 AM, Rick Hall said:

"I know previous generations collected them for their content, but with CGC slabbing pulps I could see that shifting."
Not among pulp collectors. How does one read the fiction in a slabbed pulp? It not as if you can read the stories online.

I buy some pulps for their stories and some pulps for their covers.  Most pulps in my collection I've bought to scan.

I'd point out that the pulp scanning community has indeed spent countless hours not to mention dollars making cover to cover pulps available online.  Thrilling, Amazing, Startling - in fact every single science fiction pulp and digest has been scanned and is available to read.  Every single issue of Weird Tales has been scanned and thousands of other pulps as well. We are still working on Adventure, The Popular and many other titles (don't get me wrong, there is still so much work to be done and books to be donated).  The neglected genres like romance or sports or the inordinately priced genres like the Spicy/Speed/Saucy or weird menace have fewer representative scanned issues, and, of course, there are plenty of scarce titles from the 20s and 30s we would like to get our hands on, but there are issues of many to sample.

All this to say - if anyone out there would like to read some pulp, go to the Internet Archive put a title in the search box and start reading.

Edited by Darwination

"I’m curious to see if the pulp market is as cover-driven as comic books (particularly pre-code)."

I'm sure there are some collectors who collect pulps to read, but with almost every story by notable authors reprinted in some form or another, why would someone read a 2-40,000 dollar pulp? Seriously, why would someone shell out 240,000 dollars to read the first Tarzan story other than to own it, when they can read it for free or on the cheap in multiple other forms?

People don't own First Editions of the Maltese Falcon, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby or even Harry Potter to read. They own them to collect.

From my perspective, I buy for the covers and for particular authors. I have and would assume a lot of pulp collectors have already read most of the notable stories throughout their reading lifetimes.

Pretty sure I have read all of Chandler, Heinlein, Asimov, Blish, Lovecraft and lesser authors etc.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:58 AM, johnenock said:

I'm sure there are some collectors who collect pulps to read, but with almost every story by notable authors reprinted in some form or another, why would someone read a 2-40,000 dollar pulp? Seriously, why would someone shell out 240,000 dollars to read the first Tarzan story other than to own it, when they can read it for free or on the cheap in multiple other forms?

People don't own First Editions of the Maltese Falcon, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby or even Harry Potter to read. They own them to collect.

From my perspective, I buy for the covers and for particular authors. I have and would assume a lot of pulp collectors have already read most of the notable stories throughout their reading lifetimes.

Pretty sure I have read all of Chandler, Heinlein, Asimov, Blish, Lovecraft and lesser authors etc.

Although I have read a lot of Bradbury, Lovecraft and a few others. Also a lot of shudder pulps especially the Spider, I have always mostly been a cover collector.

Unlike comics that I usually crack out of their slabs, slabbed pulps don’t bother me. The only problem would be lack of storage space.