• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

I can't provide footnotes or verifiable sources ( ... too lazy), but I've been led to believe that the user pool of Video Games DWARFS that of the comic book market ... by as much as several orders of magnitude... 4th grade pre algebra will tell you that a sudden explosion in popularity will leave comic book data as simply inadequate for a comparison. I get that that fellow was frustrated by his toy suddenly scooting out of his reach....  but to make a video highlighting the "butthurt" ?.... I don't know if I would have chosen that route... it will likely just make it worse. GOD BLESS....

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Just remember, if you don't use the block function, you're part of the problem 

I added a few more today. And there was already a lot of grey showing up on my pages already (blocked content)!

On 8/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, Wolverinex said:

exactly. If that doesn't seem manipulated to you , then you are in on it. 

That’s absurd.

The proclivity of so many people in this thread to make everything a black/white yes/no pure as the driven snow/axe murderer is bonkers.

Granted, I have some concerns with the video game prices and potential manipulation but that video and statements like that certainly aren’t the slam dunk that people think they are.

There is a discussion to be had here and currently some that are interested are having an ongoing one in this thread.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:11 PM, Bronty said:

How did wata “juice the marketplace”?   What does that mean?   If you’re referring to the Carolina collection , it has been noted already elsewhere that neither Dain nor Jeff were directors as the video claims.   Dain had already quit a full three years ago.   Jeff months before the transaction.   And to top it off, pedigree games have appeared to sell for no more or less than non pedigree.   

Which raises one of the general problems with the video. 

Instead of doing real, in-depth research and investigation, he's just going for "gotcha" moments.  

On 8/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Always happy to answer a question from someone who doesn't appear to have an obvious agenda.

Both questions have the same answer.......yes.

I then spent the last 2 years digging into the graded game hobby and doing research on it.  I belong to numerous game collecting groups on Facebook, read game collecting blogs and newsletters as well as every article about the hobby I come across or that's pointed out to me.  It's why a lot of this stuff is common knowledge to me, and to anyone else involved in the hobby enough to actually read about it.  Some people don't like those two words.  My only suggestion to them is read more, because the information is there for those that are interested in the hobby and not just how much money they can suck out of it.

There is difference between common knowledge within a collecting group and common knowledge among the general populous. 

Common knowledge within a collecting group is something like what I mentioned before that the brown Lego bricks produced around 2012 were composed of a very brittle recipe.  Most people would have no idea about that outside of Lego collectors.

Common knowledge amongst the general populous is that fire will burn. 

There are still many people that collect cgc comics that even visit these boards that have no idea what a Dupcak is or that there was a common link between CGC and Heritage and many other things.  So there has been a lot to come out of this discussion that has been quite a surprise to many of us.

@Bronty @Domo Arigato

So now I have a question.  At around what point is it considered that the video game market started purchasing video games with the specific intention to keep the item sealed?

There was a recent sale that really confused Jay and myself and it involves a game that I would bet money on could have easily been found still sealed in overstock and in warehouse finds. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

... you forgot one thing, multi million dollar offers for Action Comics 1 began being DECLINED  over 2 decades ago. No one is mentioning the HUNDREDS of examples of million dollar sales that have occurred in the Coin hobby over the last 30 years. Pardon my poop mouth, but a million dollar sale ain't *spoon*. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Good points.  We have been held back by one obstinate old dentist. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

There is difference between common knowledge within a collecting group and common knowledge among the general populous. 

Common knowledge within a collecting group is something like what I mentioned before that the brown Lego bricks produced around 2012 were composed of a very brittle recipe.  Most people would have no idea about that outside of Lego collectors.

Common knowledge amongst the general populous is that fire will burn. 

There are still many people that collect cgc comics that even visit these boards that have no idea what a Dupcak is or that there was a common link between CGC and Heritage and many other things.  So there has been a lot to come out of this discussion that has been quite a surprise to many of us.

I understand all of that, but it still doesn't mean it's not common knowledge.  We are not among the general populous right now.  This is a discussion in a collecting group about another collecting group.  People who don't know what they are talking about are trying to take what is common knowledge to anyone that was interested in it....and turn it into a "gotcha" accusation.  Things don't have to be as simplistic as "fire will burn" to be common knowledge.  Otherwise you could take it to the other extreme.  Perhaps there is some isolated tribe on some island that isn't aware of fire.  Then it must not be common knowledge.  The information was public.  It's readily available to anyone that has an interest in it.  And just because those who are ignorant of the knowledge want to jump into it and ask why someone was hiding it doesn't mean it's not common knowledge.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:52 PM, Buzzetta said:

@Bronty @Domo Arigato

So now I have a question.  At around what point is it considered that the video game market started purchasing video games with the specific intention to keep the item sealed?

There was a recent sale that really confused Jay and myself and it involves a game that I would bet money on could have easily been found still sealed in overstock and in warehouse finds. 

There’s no magic date.   Its a continuum fir one thing, but mostly it really depends on the specific item in question.    Consider asking someone: as of what publishing  date are all comics common in 9.8 and therefore worthless?     

It’s just a question that’s difficult to work with without more information because maybe it’s common, maybe it isn’t, maybe it’s worthless, maybe it isn’t .

If you care to name the title I’m happy to give whatever thoughts I can. 

Edited by Bronty

On 8/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, Buzzetta said:

@Bronty @Domo Arigato

That would be a better question for Bronty....and he's been in this game MUCH longer than I have (oops....too slow....he beat me to it).  Although, I would suspect there isn't a magic answer.  I started in the mid 2,000's.......but only because I wanted sealed copies of games that I liked in my collection.  I'm sure others started in the 90's or possibly even earlier for various reasons.  

And absolutely yes......there are games right now that are being bought, then graded, and sold for fairly high amounts that can still be bought off the shelf.  People mention it on Facebook quite often....and I've seen some youtube videos where guys will go shopping at stores like Wal-Mart and Target.....buy games off the shelf....and then flip them for a pretty significant profit (ungraded and graded).

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 8/29/2021 at 4:20 PM, Park said:

That’s absurd.

The proclivity of so many people in this thread to make everything a black/white yes/no pure as the driven snow/axe murderer is bonkers.

Granted, I have some concerns with the video game prices and potential manipulation but that video and statements like that certainly aren’t the slam dunk that people think they are.

There is a discussion to be had here and currently some that are interested are having an ongoing one in this thread.

This is absurd. Great. 

On 8/29/2021 at 5:03 PM, Domo Arigato said:

And absolutely yes......there are games right now that are being bought, then graded, and sold for fairly high amounts that can still be bought off the shelf.  People mention it on Facebook quite often....and I've seen some youtube videos where guys will go shopping at stores like Wal-Mart and Target.....buy games off the shelf....and then flip them for a pretty significant profit (ungraded and graded).

.... The purest and vilest form of evil :whatthe: ...MF's making bank ... gotsta be something fishy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/29/2021 at 4:58 PM, COI said:

So I agree with your points, but imagine this scenario:

For whatever reason, someone decides to start collecting Lego and they buy a used collection of Lego... playsets?(not sure if that's what they're called) from this 2012 period you mention. They use the sets to play with their kids, and stuff starts breaking. They make a video about this brittle Lego that goes viral, making all sorts of claims about how poorly made Legos are, using his experience as evidence, and a whole bunch of people are like 'wow, I thought Lego was cool, didn't realize they were such a trash company', and so on.

The guy made the video in earnest, but his lack of experience and perspective on Lego across the decades, and lack of context about the factors that contributed to 2012-ish Legos caused him to take truths about his experience and a fact pattern with a limited scope and turn that into a narrative that, while based in truth, doesn't paint a fair or complete picture of Legos.

Not a perfect analogy, but similar to what I see with Karl's video. 

And I agree with you there.  What I think that many of us were / are alarmed at is once again Halperin's involvement and the alleged activities for the previously stated reasons.   

On 8/25/2021 at 10:04 PM, Domo Arigato said:

From the current Comic Connect video game auction.

Current.jpg.1d4b9d48dd2b7416a7eeab7e1af9c390.jpg

Rumor is....the high bidders user ID is 69JHalperin420.

THAT DOES IT  ! ! !

Sold today on Comic Connect. 

Link

@Bronty Do you know if this is a new record for this title?

Sold.jpg.b0c3ca1ff06f32d3325510c142401c19.jpg

On 8/29/2021 at 5:29 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Sold today on Comic Connect. 

Link

@Bronty Do you know if this is a new record for this title?

Sold.jpg.b0c3ca1ff06f32d3325510c142401c19.jpg

I think so.   

And before others take that sale and run with faulty conclusions it should be noted that Mario 2 came out not long before the changeover from the black to the white seal of approval.    That’s a black (early) copy and as a result surprisingly difficult sealed.    Data points on the white (later) copies, are not very relevant.     

But yes, that’s another very strong sale.    Most Mario titles just keep doing well.  

Edited by Bronty

On 8/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

A WATA founder (with others) bought your game for a record price, promoted it as evidence of a booming market, went on TV and posed as an ordinary collector, not disclosing he's actually a founder of the grading company that graded the game he's holding in his hand, has a discussion with the president of the the grading company he helped found, they pretend they don't know each other while talking about the million dollar value of the game. 

If you don't see it, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to explain it in terms you would accept. Though you sure seemed surprised.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 2.23.19 PM (2).png

What is the little picture you attached at the bottom of your post for?

Are you suggesting that the game Bronty sold is the one that later sold for $1.5 million that Bronty is reacting with surprise to?

It's not.  Those were two completely different games.

And if that was your intent, this is partly what I'm talking about.  People with little to no knowledge of the hobby trying to jump in with their "GOTCHA" moments.