• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2021 at 8:09 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

54332840.jpg.6ad5bd47b968f2b159794dfff62f8e32.jpg

WHAT is your favorite comic book-

On 8/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, kav said:

Dont think your homeowners assn would approve that baby.

I don't have a homeowners association.

Village code.

I think I would welcome a homeowners association as many of us would have overturned some of the nonsense lol .

On 8/30/2021 at 8:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don't have a homeowners association.

Village code.

I think I would welcome a homeowners association as many of us would have overturned some of the nonsense lol .

Lotta village insufficiently thoughtful people I suspect.

On 8/31/2021 at 5:37 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Posted without comment, make of it what you will.

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/video-game-grading-house-wata-told

For those who don't want to slog through the whole article, it's basically this:

WATA CEO Deniz Kahn has stated on multiple occasions that WATA employees are not allowed to have games graded by WATA or sell games graded by WATA. 

Meanwhile Mark Haspel, a name well-known to most of us, and a guy currently on WATA's Executive Team, has a lucrative side-hustle selling WATA games.

Basically he's doing what we all condemned PGX for doing. Self dealing.

:juggle:

On 8/31/2021 at 8:39 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

For those who don't want to slog through the whole article, it's basically this:

WATA CEO Deniz Kahn has stated on multiple occasions that WATA employees are not allowed to have games graded by WATA or sell games graded by WATA. 

Meanwhile Mark Haspel, a name well-known to most of us, and a guy currently on WATA's Executive Team, has a lucrative side-hustle selling WATA games.

:juggle:

If he is not submitting the games to WATA, other than Kahn's statement, is there anything wrong with buying and selling the graded games? Legit question.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:39 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Shocker!

On 8/31/2021 at 6:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If he is not submitting the games to WATA, other than Kahn's statement, is there anything wrong with buying and selling the graded games? Legit question.

The article claims that Haspel is having them graded through WATA and receiving very generous grades.

He's an expert collector, with a big wallet, so he might just be buying really high grade stuff. 

But to your original question, it's wrong when the WATA President states that no employees are allowed to sell WATA games, period. He's stating that as company policy. The reason he makes that statement is because he knows it's a conflict of interest and hurts the integrity of WATA. . 

On 8/31/2021 at 9:37 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

The article claims that Haspel is having them graded through WATA and receiving very generous grades.

He's an expert collector, with a big wallet, so he might just be buying really high grade stuff. 

But to your original question, it's wrong when the WATA President states that no employees are allowed to sell WATA games, period. He's stating that as company policy. The reason he makes that statement is because he knows it's a conflict of interest and hurts the integrity of WATA. . 

My question is if it is otherwise "wrong"?

On 8/31/2021 at 9:37 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

But to your original question, it's wrong when the WATA President states that no employees are allowed to sell WATA games, period. He's stating that as company policy. The reason he makes that statement is because he knows it's a conflict of interest and hurts the integrity of WATA.

Particularly because the person at the center of these allegations was groomed in a culture where conflict of interest, even perceived, was seen as a no-no. The strict avoidance of COI was bolstered as an important part of CGC's early days of maintaining impartiality in grading. People who weren't around in the early days of these boards might not know, or recall, but Steve and company were banging on the drum of keeping comic "collecting" separate from their occupation as impartial graders. I feel that when Steve left, those principles may have been loosened, but there is no way anyone with their history and involvement with CGC, can say they didn't recognize that even a perception of impropriety was possible from their conduct while being part of WATA.

Edited by comicwiz