• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a book slabbed from this year that sits perfectly in the middle inside the inner chamber?

7 posts in this topic

Is this intentional by CGC?  Every book I have that's graded and slabbed this year always seem to sit right on top or right on the bottom of the inner chamber.  I mean there is literally zero space in between the book and the indentation of the inner chamber; they are touching each other.  The books are designed to not shift around in there, correct?

With issues in the past that includes warping, newton rings, puddling, etc, I want to make sure this isn't a big deal and common.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:05 PM, Lirion said:

I'm new and only have a few and a couple of them aren't centered. They're not pinched in anyway, but don't seem to be "square (and are 9.8 grades).

Hey, thanks for the response.  I was trying to get the general feel about this.  It isn't the fact that they are not perfectly centered but more so the pinching that can happen I am worried about.  If the new cases are designed to have the book be completely secure I suppose it's safe.

It's definitely prevalent with any books graded this year.  I bought 6 all graded this year and it's always the same thing.  Either touching the indent of the bottom or top.  Mostly bottom, I only have one touching the top.

Thanks again, a new member & you're already a big help.

It's not about wither it's perfectly centered or not, but wither it can get pinched or rubbed against the inner chamber.  Just seems like it could potentially be an issue if books can shift around.  I was wrong about it being something from this year only though.  Here's an example from a book graded years prior that sort of illustrates what I am talking about...

s-l1600.jpg

Go to the bottom of the book.  This is not the best example because there is a very tiny sliver of space but it would at least give you an idea what I am talking about.  I only noticed this because the last book I bought was pressed against the indent of the inner well & there is a very small color breaking tick mark.  Could have been there during grading who knows.  Going by responses I guess I have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Sky1

On 8/26/2021 at 5:16 AM, Sky1 said:

Every book I have that's graded and slabbed this year always seem to sit right on top or right on the bottom of the inner chamber.

My only 2021 graded book is against the left side and bottom of the inner well. 

But, I hadn’t noticed until now. 🤬😂