• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WEREWOLF BY NIGHT starring Gael Garcia Bernal (2022)
5 5

182 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2022 at 2:55 AM, Microchip said:
On 11/5/2022 at 1:46 AM, PovertyRow said:

Sorry to keep on about WWBN Special Presentation but...there is an interesting parallel with the 1941 THE WOLF MAN. 
In WWBN Elsa returns to her family estate for her legacy after her father is killed. In THE WOLF MAN, Lawrence Talbot returns to his family estate for his long denied legacy (he was the 2nd elder son) after his brother John, the elder son, is killed in a hunting accident.

Also regarding the werewolf makeup, I had previously alluded to its similarity to the Universal 1935 WEREWOLF OF LONDON. In that movie Henry Hull (the werewolf) talked with makeup artist Jack Pierce about the werewolf makeup and suggested his face be kept recognizable, just as we have in Jack's makeup in WWBN. 

Just a couple of quick Povservations.

It was very odd to see such under-done special effects with the face, it obviously was a definite nod to earlier genre references.  

Even Man-thing had a certain look.  The keep it, stylistically simplistic, Jim Henson era peak of costumes.   

If you remove the humanity from the monster, nobody is interested. This is why DC was not as successful as Marvel in the 60s.

If you put TOO MUCH 'humanity' into the monster, nobody is interested. This is why comic book companies are NOT as successful as Marvel in the 1960's.

Stan Lee knew that 50 years ago. 

They did it to Hulk too in every iteration. He 'looked' like the actor that was playing him.

Throw backs and easter eggs are also effective in driving viewers. They did the same with Stark's dad when they made him look like Walt Disney and riffed the entire Stark Enterprise against Disney's history. 

The problem is, it's wearing thin. When you start to expect Easter Eggs it's no longer fun. It's a flogging. lol

On 10/14/2023 at 2:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

F8WW62VbYAAsZS1.jpeg.3c45b5e40a4f20dde615651a5300611a.jpeg

This saddens me a bit. I was hoping we would see that little easter egg in the intro voiceover "In our modern world, this is where monsters dwell" come to fruition with this year's Halloween offering and they would start pulling from the 70s Marvel horror books like Where Monsters Dwell. Since this was originally shot in color seems kind of a cheap way out. I have to wonder how much they actually had to work on this post production and if the amount of gore will remain in color. Still, I'll watch it and probably still love it, the way a parent loves a wayward child.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, Microchip said:
On 10/19/2023 at 10:09 AM, TupennyConan said:

Looks great! 

Agreed.  A lot better than I imagined.   

I can't speak to the story but the cinematography was really good. 

Is the story any good?

What I don't like is that it's just another shizzly cash grab from Disney, who is really struggling financially. 

They get to re-introduce the same movie by just re-showing it in color? lol

It's brilliant business because you double your profits with little effort, but I hate this sort of ideology and have no patience for a lack of integrity so I would refuse to watch the movie just out of principle. 

BTW, I refuse to go see Motley Crue too, because they said they wouldn't tour again and then reneged. They deserve every bit of heat they get now from Mick Mars. (worship)

I don’t see how releasing a colored version is “profiting off it twice.” I suppose there’s a handful of rabid WWBN fans who might resubscribe to D+ to see the color version but that number is barely negligible. Snyder’s JLA was a billion times more popular and turned out that releasing his cut barely moved the needle on Max subscriptions. 

The reason they’re redoing it is likely twofold. First, there are some goofballs who absolutely refuse to watch anything black and white. It could be the greatest masterpiece of all time, they see b&w they skip it. Probably use TikTok too. The other reason is Disney is so broke they can’t do a Halloween special this year so they’re reusing last years. 

FWIW, this and the GOTG Christmas were the only two great Marvel originals D+ ever made. Everything else is either forgettable to utterly unwatchable. I’m glad they put WWBN on Hulu since I cancelled my D sub and it’s really the only one I ever had a desire to rewatch bc it was freakin awesome. 

On 10/20/2023 at 10:45 AM, Cman429 said:

I don’t see how releasing a colored version is “profiting off it twice.” I suppose there’s a handful of rabid WWBN fans who might resubscribe to D+ to see the color version but that number is barely negligible. Snyder’s JLA was a billion times more popular and turned out that releasing his cut barely moved the needle on Max subscriptions. 

The reason they’re redoing it is likely twofold. First, there are some goofballs who absolutely refuse to watch anything black and white. It could be the greatest masterpiece of all time, they see b&w they skip it. Probably use TikTok too. The other reason is Disney is so broke they can’t do a Halloween special this year so they’re reusing last years. 

FWIW, this and the GOTG Christmas were the only two great Marvel originals D+ ever made. Everything else is either forgettable to utterly unwatchable. I’m glad they put WWBN on Hulu since I cancelled my D sub and it’s really the only one I ever had a desire to rewatch bc it was freakin awesome. 

The rabid WWBN crew has to be a tiny demographic, no?

I took the B&W release as a masterful nod to the golden era of cinema.   Lon Chaney Jr, Claude Reins, true legends in the pantheon of movie stars.     Friends who watched it, loved it.  WWBN already has 66,000 reviews on IMDB!   Thats a staggeringly strong response.   The B&W format was a winner.    This color version is a colorisation as well, the filter/fx effect looks appropriately selected.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Cman429 said:

Snyder’s JLA was a billion times more popular and turned out that releasing his cut barely moved the needle on Max subscriptions. 

That's actually not accurate. Nothing against you, as that was the Emmerich regime tamping down any news of success with this film's forced release.

Samba TV came out later and noted it was more than the 1.8M homes number that watched a 4-hour movie in it's entirety which kept being tossed around (3.7M was the reality). And that's just U.S. households.

E0QOGzoXIAUmEIu.thumb.jpeg.89c4ced0dde92d6d8722dfc350c8117a.jpeg

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, PovertyRow said:

This saddens me a bit. I was hoping we would see that little easter egg in the intro voiceover "In our modern world, this is where monsters dwell" come to fruition with this year's Halloween offering and they would start pulling from the 70s Marvel horror books like Where Monsters Dwell. Since this was originally shot in color seems kind of a cheap way out. I have to wonder how much they actually had to work on this post production and if the amount of gore will remain in color. Still, I'll watch it and probably still love it, the way a parent loves a wayward child.

Well I watched the color version and was very pleased to see it was not Marvel Studios Color but much more Hanner Horror Technicolor with that 60s/70s feel! It was instandtly noticeable and made th color version actually just as cool as the B&W. Glas to see some creative minds are, well, creating.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:21 AM, PovertyRow said:

Well I watched the color version and was very pleased to see it was not Marvel Studios Color but much more Hanner Horror Technicolor with that 60s/70s feel! It was instandtly noticeable and made th color version actually just as cool as the B&W. Glas to see some creative minds are, well, creating.

They really did think this one through.    I watched it last night, and felt it hit all the requisites exceedingly well, cast, acting, story, and cinematography.   I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The colorization thing seems unneeded to me, although @Cman429 is exactly correct about people who refuse to watch black & white movies/TV shows etc.  They are in fact mostly younger and that's fine - to each his own.  The color spoiled the tribute to The Wizard of Oz (as noted above) but it's still a good story, well-told and I like it a lot.  I would have preferred a new "Halloween Special" featuring perhaps another Marvel Bronze character, but I don't all the time get what I want.