• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Honored to be there as "kid" buys his first ASM1
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, jcjames said:

It was raw, I didn't page though it myself, but based only on the cover that I saw and what he said about the centerfold, it looked like maybe a 2.0 incomplete. It was priced around $2800 and I *think* he got it for maybe $2500ish. I didn't want to be too obviously hovering right next to the buyer while he was looking at it or making an offer. 

Even if it had resto (which was not obvious from the front cover when I picked it up while the dealer was initially loading the shelf) I still thought it was a good price raw 2.0ish appearance. 

Oh yeah.  You should have said, I'll take it for 2900

On 8/27/2021 at 9:44 PM, jcjames said:

It was raw, I didn't page though it myself, but based only on the cover that I saw and what he said about the centerfold, it looked like maybe a 2.0 incomplete. It was priced around $2800 and I *think* he got it for maybe $2500ish. I didn't want to be too obviously hovering right next to the buyer while he was looking at it or making an offer. 

I don't know if it had any resto but even if it had resto (which was not obvious from the front cover when I picked it up while the dealer was initially loading the shelf) I still thought it was a good price raw 2.0ish appearance. 

Living the dream!

It used to be common place, if they came in that is, to find those lower grades raw priced at a couple of grand.....

Woulda coulda shoulda. I even tried lay away when I had the money outright but didn't go through to put it on layaway cause of college  

Wah wah whahaha

On 8/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I don't like to generalize from one specific, but this is a good anecdote for those worried there won't be anyone to buy their comics in the future.

I really think most people have confidence in stuff like ASM1 and X1 and H181 in the future.  I think a lot of the worry is regarding stuff like moderns, ratio variants, various artist books, "hot" stuff like SW/Clone Wars, and lesser/villain keys like ASM 238/361.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, Terry JSA said:

I liked this story considering I am “that kid”since I’m currently 19-years-old. I remember when I first got into the hobby back in late 2017 when I was just 15. I got interested in the collecting side of things and discovered Green Lantern #76 and I really wanted it due to its significance on comics at that time. 

I was able to eventually buy one after getting my first job and when I got my first paycheck, I went to my LCS, asked if they had a Green Lantern #76 and sure enough they did! It was priced at $250 but I was able to get it down to $175 even. Huge shoutout to Shelton at Heroes Aren’t Hard to Find for helping me acquire my first ever grail! 

Overall it’s nice hearing people being able to get their grails. Congrats to that guy on getting an ASM #1. 

To a lot of us, you are a “kid” (respectfully). 

I was truly a kid when I started at about age 10. I bought comics off the stands that I liked. One day, I discovered MAD Magazine. #1 was my grail of grails. An older guy saw my passion and sold me a copy for $50. I had to pay it off in payments. It was a LOT of money when I was 12. 

When I paid the last payment and took it home it was my most prized possession. 

Welcome to the crazy world of comic collecting. GL #76 is a great one to start with. One of the best arcs in comic history. Now go out and get the rest! 

Oh, and I got my copy off the rack for cover price...:preach:

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/28/2021 at 1:35 PM, Robot Man said:

To a lot of us, you are a “kid” (respectfully). 

I was truly a kid when I started at about age 10. I bought comics off the stands that I liked. One day, I discovered MAD Magazine. #1 was my grail of grails. An older guy saw my passion and sold me a copy for $50. I had to pay it off in payments. It was a LOT of money when I was 12. 

When I paid the last payment and took it home it was my most prized possession. 

Welcome to the crazy world of comic collecting. GL #76 is a great one to start with. One of the best arcs in comic history. Now go out and get the rest! 

Oh, and I got my copy off the rack for cover price...:preach:

I’m aware that I’m still considered a “kid” to most adults. xD

MAD #1 is a nice book to get at 12-years-old (for $50) considering what the prices are for that book now. It must’ve also been nice being able to buy Green Lantern #76 off the stands as well. 

I forgot to mention, I did own Green Lantern #76-89 at one point but ended up selling all of it (except for #76, #85, #86, and #87 of course) in order to fund other books I wanted. 

Edited by Terry JSA

Always so nice to read about examples of pure excitement and joy when a fledgling collector acquires a book that they really care about, in a field of interest which I tend to believe is otherwise dominated by cold, predatory greed.

That polarity, and kinship with the former, gives me hope.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I also remembered back then that I would look up phone numbers in the directory and literally call every single comic book/collectible store in my area to ask if they had a particular issue available (these were silver age keys).  One of them was a DD 7 which I bought off a local shop. When I asked them over the phone how much, they responded that they don't give prices over the phone and for me to go down to the shop and ask about it. I pleaded that it was somewhat far of a drive and if they could just do me this one time with the price. They caved in and said $60. 

When I got to the store, I told em I was the same person who called about it. Looked at the book and I told them I will buy it. When I came up to the register, they said the price is $80. I questioned them and asked why the bump up in price, you told me $60 over the phone. I don't quite remember what the guy said back but I bought it anyways.