• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Honored to be there as "kid" buys his first ASM1
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, Dark Knight said:

I also remembered back then that I would look up phone numbers in the directory and literally call every single comic book/collectible store in my area to ask if they had a particular issue available (these were silver age keys).

Those were the days.  At first we didn't have a phone at home, and the only option was a urine-soaked public call box, an experience these new collectors have been tragically robbed of by 21st century mobile technology.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, Terry JSA said:

I remember seeing an ASM #129 ($500 for a raw copy back in 2018) I wanted and asked my dad if he could buy it for me, but he said no. lol

I was wary about telling my father I'd spent £5 on a comic, back in the 70s. 

Those clandestine, Bronze Age days. :cloud9:

On 8/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Those were the days.  At first we didn't have a phone at home, and the only option was a urine-soaked public call box, an experience these new collectors have been tragically robbed of by 21st century mobile technology.

Yep that was a lot of fun. No internet, just strictly hunting, calling and getting lucky. It's funny too because a couple of those businesses I called don't deal with comics (basically like I mentioned earlier they are a collectible store but didn't know what collectibles they sell) and I remembered calling those same stores a couple of times within a few weeks and they would get annoyed and wondered why again I was asking for comic books lol

On 8/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, Terry JSA said:

I liked this story considering I am “that kid” since I’m currently 19-years-old. I remember when I first got into the hobby back in late 2017 when I was just 15. I got interested in the collecting side of things and discovered Green Lantern #76 and I really wanted it due to its significance on comics at that time. 

I was able to eventually buy one after getting my first job and when I got my first paycheck. I went to my LCS, asked if they had a Green Lantern #76 and sure enough they did! It was priced at $250 but I was able to get it down to $175 even. Huge shoutout to Shelton at Heroes Aren’t Hard to Find for helping me acquire my first ever grail! 

Overall it’s nice hearing stories people about being able to get their grails, congrats to that guy on getting an ASM #1! :applause:

Green Lantern 76.. I love that particular book. I own several. I remember as a kid that was always considered a big bronze key with Hulk 181 and TMNT 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, Primetime said:

I acquired my first ASM 1 ( a raw VG) when I was 20 years old. I traded slew of Xmens 2-150 plus $500 to a friend. This was in 1995. I got it slabbed in 2000 and it came back cgc 4,0 blue. Here’s a picture. I ended up owning it for 14 years and traded it towards a Suspense 3. 

31CE867E-989F-472F-96BB-2CE037A2B21E.jpeg

5EA358D4-7FAF-4A74-9DAA-225B475F65EB.jpeg

Oh my.  I kind of want to slap my own face when I use this word, but that is my “grail”.  I’ve lost sleep over that book.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, Primetime said:

I acquired my first ASM 1 ( a raw VG) when I was 20 years old. I traded a slew of Xmens 2-150 (random issues scattered) plus $500 to a friend. This was in 1995. I got it slabbed in 2000 and it came back cgc 4.0 blue. Here’s a picture. I ended up owning it for 14 years and traded it towards a Suspense 3. 

31CE867E-989F-472F-96BB-2CE037A2B21E.jpeg

5EA358D4-7FAF-4A74-9DAA-225B475F65EB.jpeg

Wow! There aren't a ton of books I would trade a Blue label ASM 1 for, but Suspense 3 is one of them!!! Beautiful book! I hope you still own it! 

This is a great great thread. Love reading all these stories. 

My father worked in construction.  At some point in time he was working with a part time comic book collector / dealer. 

That guy (I wish I could remember his name) invited us to a comic book show and I was instantly hooked. I was probably 12 or 13. It was a smaller local show as most of them were in the early 90s.  My dad's friend had an ASM1 and I remember him saying he was going to put his kids through college with it one day.  I wonder if their two industries that have inflated more since then, than college tuition and funny books? 

Anyway, I can remember the buzz at that show was a Superman #1 that someone was selling for $7k.  I remember it so well because of my father's reaction to someone spending that kind of $$ on a comic book.  

On 8/28/2021 at 2:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, no phone at home? That must have been weird. We had one with luckily a long cord. Would stretch it as far as possible when talking to girls. With 4 kids, I took a lot of abuse and had to fight for the use of it. 

I remember getting yelled because of my long distance calls to comic sellers in the Comic Book Buyer’s Guide ads. 

We had one b/w TV. Could only watch when my dad wasn’t home. When he was, my brother and I were the “human remotes”. 

In spite of it all, life was a lot simpler and less stressful than it is today...:preach:

Yeah, you would remember "The Twilight Zone" when it was a new show.... we left the house unlocked and keys in the car (sometimes) back in those days. Kids walked to school.

I recently watched a 10 year old buy the 60's Teen Titans #1 for 50 dollars of his own money. My story was a convention in 1975 or so ... it was near the end. I wanted the guy's X-MEN 1 and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 85, both around 9.0. He had each one at $ 8 each.... problem was, all I had left was $ 11. He let me have both for $ 11. It probably helped that I had bought from him at another show.... a young man putting himself through Grad School by selling his collection of books bought off the rack. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Well, I regret to say I never had a shot at a book like this when I was collecting heavy in the 70s.  I told the guy at the LCS that I wanted books like this, but the best he ever showed me was a "reading copy" remaindered FF 10 for $10 which I declined.  If that had been a complete copy, I'd own it today.  For whatever reason, early 60s Marvel books either weren't available, or were being hoarded by someone locally, and I didn't have the brains to go find them somewhere else.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, jimjum12 said:

Yeah, you would remember "The Twilight Zone" when it was a new show.... we left the house unlocked and keys in the car (sometimes) back in those days. Kids walked to school.

I recently watched a 10 year old buy the 60's Teen Titans #1 for 50 dollars of his own money. My story was a convention in 1975 or so ... it was near the end. I wanted the guy's X-MEN 1 and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 85, both around 9.0. He had each one at $ 8 each.... problem was, all I had left was $ 11. He let me have both for $ 11. It probably helped that I had bought from him at another show.... a young man putting himself through Grad School by selling his collection of books bought off the rack. GOD BLESS...

Yeah, I remember Twilight Zone well. That and Outer Limits really spooked me. Much more than monster movies. Was something that could possibly happen. We walked or rode our Sting Rays to school never locking them. A friend got his stolen and the word went out. Some kid saw another kid riding it. A bunch of us went over and “retrieved” it. That was the end of stolen bikes in my area. 

Wow, two classics for $11 bucks! Probably even then. He was probably happy paying cover price. I am constantly amazed when I sell books I bought off the rack especially these days. 

I long ago learned as a show dealer not to brush off kids. It amazes me sometimes when a kid pulls out the cash.

I recently sold about 5 average Spirit Sections to a kid about 15. I was amazed he knew who Eisner was. I loved his enthusiasm and sold them for half price. Remember, the more young collectors who enter the hobby is it’s future...

On 8/29/2021 at 10:09 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, I regret to say I never had a shot at a book like this when I was collecting heavy in the 70s.  I told the guy at the LCS that I wanted books like this, but the best he ever showed me was a "reading copy" remaindered FF 10 for $10 which I declined.  If that had been a complete copy, I'd own it today.  For whatever reason, early 60s Marvel books either weren't available, or were being hoarded by someone locally, and I didn't have the brains to go find them somewhere else.

I used to get tons of them at “used book stores” (anybody remember those?) They were only a few years old at the time and were cheap.

Finding any “ten centers” was a HUGE score. Anything if it had a 10 cent cover price. 

Garage sales and word of mouth also brought me a lot of old comics. 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

I don't do shows anymore, but I remember gifting a kid an FF 28 at a Mall show .... his Mom brought him back later to make sure everything was cool. She was cute, too... but I didn't know that when I gave it to him... he had that look on his face like he was handling the Rosetta Stone.... I HAD to give it to him :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

He will probably tell that story years from now just like we are now. 

On 8/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, Robot Man said:

I used to get tons of them at “used book stores” (anybody remember those?) They were only a few years old at the time and were cheap.

Finding any “ten centers” was a HUGE score. Anything if it had a 10 cent cover price. 

Garage sales and word of mouth also brought me a lot of old comics. 

I take some comfort in the Twilight Zone episodes where people try to go back and fix mistakes they've made in their lives, which efforts inevitably make things worse.