• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There has to be an easier way
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Sweating my teats off tonight. I have a routine where I read, bag and board, catalog, and then into a long box. Every couple months or so, I file by alpha and end up having to make room in the boxes for new books by pushing everything forward a box until I get enough to make a new box. lol damn you OCD :pullhair:

What do others do?

I usually buy a new box when I'm getting close, then move some books from an existing box that's getting crowded into the new one.  Typically, the move will be all of a title where I have only 50-75 books or something, or maybe I'll have to start a new ASM box and move 50 books from the end of the old ASM box to the new one.  Initially, I try to create enough room in the right box for whatever I have coming in.  Hopefully, this doesn't create the kind of cascade you're talking about.

But overall I'm dealing with much smaller numbers than you are.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, universal soldier said:

Sweating my teats off tonight. I have a routine where I read, bag and board, catalog, and then into a long box. Every couple months or so, I file by alpha and end up having to make room in the boxes for new books by pushing everything forward a box until I get enough to make a new box. lol damn you OCD :pullhair:

What do others do?

I used to do this also but after 2 or 3 long boxes it started to get such a pain. I switched to boxing them alphabetically by the year.  Much easier.

I have to do the same thing. The key is having enough space where you can get to all the boxes easily and pull out several at a time. I try to fill my boxes about 3/4 full to give myself some leeway for awhile, but inevitably the time comes where I have to make a major shift. I've got over 40,000 of them, totally organized, so when I get to that point now, it's a pretty big project. But if I don't keep them organized, I get uptight about the horrible "mess" they're in.

I have my long boxes separated into various categories. I have a lot of Fantastic Four, so there's a category. Same for Hulk. I only put 250 comics in a long box despite there often being extra space. I have a single short box for "books to file" as well. I have over 9,000 books, and it's been working pretty well so far, though my "Marvel - Other" category may need to get split out in the near future. Maybe into "Events" and "Other".

On 8/31/2021 at 7:20 AM, Jemin said:

I used to do this also but after 2 or 3 long boxes it started to get such a pain. I switched to boxing them alphabetically by the year.  Much easier.

:ohnoez:you just made my OCD kick into high gear.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:04 AM, Pat Thomas said:

I have to do the same thing. The key is having enough space where you can get to all the boxes easily and pull out several at a time. I try to fill my boxes about 3/4 full to give myself some leeway for awhile, but inevitably the time comes where I have to make a major shift. I've got over 40,000 of them, totally organized, so when I get to that point now, it's a pretty big project. But if I don't keep them organized, I get uptight about the horrible "mess" they're in.

Wow, 40K! I'm closing in on 12K right now and that is daunting enough. I try to keep enough space in the boxes but now I am out of boxes and space for boxes :insane:

Thanks for the replies, some interesting thoughts and ideas. It never really ends though. I committed to mylar back in 2009 but still only have about half of my collection transitioned. Waiting on 2K of m2's and half backs from eGerber (likely shipped in mid-October). 

Even my boxes need replacing. The current boxes I find to be much less sturdy than the ones from the 80's. My shelving needs to change too (similar to the image below). The overhang on the back of the long box gets caught and rips the cardboard. I have a bunch with packing tape holding them together. Considering the move to short boxes. Lol, in short :censored:

black-hdx-freestanding-shelving-units-sl-wsus-110b-64_600.jpg.054d89c428baedb85a8377a3e8ad6f5e.jpg

I keep my books loosely organized. If I'm looking for a BA Invaders, I  generally know it will be in one of two or three boxes. By not being super-organized, I almost always come across a book or two I wasn't aware of and finding a hot book I wasn't aware of makes me feel better about my overall stock. 

I really only have my Amazing Spider-Man and related series sorted. Everything else I have in unsorted boxes which is as nightmare-ish as it sounds. The couple boxes I have with CGC-level high grade books are useful but then it's 20 short boxes of... I don't know what.

Have you tried that? I wouldn't recommend it but you could give it a shot :foryou:

On 8/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, universal soldier said:

What do others do?

Relax...  :foryou:

A different way of going about it...don't re-sort or categorize at all. Just add new additions to the end of the stack. Mark each box with a unique code (could be letters, numbers or combination of both). Have a spreadsheet of all your books with any information you wish to add and INCLUDE THE BOX CODE. Highly efficient way of locating your comics and no more having to shuffle books around across your boxes...added benefit is that it reduces risk of damaging comics by constant handling.

I would think that this is the way major dealers handle their ever-changing stock. Or some variation of it.

And yes, you have to create an inventory spreadsheet, but all collectors should be doing this already! :)

It must be awesome to own 40,000 comics but damn...what does an old man do with 40,000 comics when the time comes to let em go? 

Theres gonna be an Ebay listing for your collection after youre gone from this Earth. The keys will have been weeded out and whats left will be sold in random lots of 30 books for $50.

The listing pic will be of hundreds of long boxes stacked to the ceiling in some ran down storage unit...boxes collapsing on each other..