• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Usagi Yojimbo and Bone fans out there?

93 posts in this topic

Last, but certainly not least...my grail of original art. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The original wraparound cover to Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special #1, the first comic book dedicated solely to Usagi Yojimbo:

Usagismall.jpg

This is the small version, so that the thread doesn't get stretched out. Here's a link to the large version: Usagi Cover

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Then, of course, I had him sign a copy of Albedo #2 for me...

Yes, of course. mad.gif

You could risk it by buying the copy of Albedo #2 up on eBay right now...that's the seller that divadrabnud had his feedback removed because of "WTF". poke2.gif

gossip.gif It'd be worse if you lived near SF...I torment Jbud73 on a regular basis with my CGC 9.0 copy. yay.gif

Really? The one on the 3 day auction right now? I took a look at his feedback and passed.

I can't believe you own 2 copies of that book, one signed, as well as one of the best Usagi covers ever. Yep. It's official. I hate you. grin.giftongue.gif

Really? The one on the 3 day auction right now? I took a look at his feedback and passed.

I can't believe you own 2 copies of that book, one signed, as well as one of the best Usagi covers ever. Yep. It's official. I hate you. grin.giftongue.gif

poke2.gif I've been a big fan for a long, long time. yay.gif I got lucky (on a number of fronts)...I had just gotten laid off from a big law firm, so had a large severance in my bank account. A couple of weeks later, WonderCon 2003 was in SF, so I went (first Con in years). Someone had it pinned up in his small booth, and I talked him down from $2000 or so to $1250. 893whatthe.gifyay.gif I had to put down a deposit and come back the next day for the rest.

Konnichi wa,

I discovered Usagi Yojimbo through Stan Sakai's participation in producing Sergio Aragones' Groo the Wanderer comic series.

I have been reading and collecting Usagi for a bit over a dozen years now, and it has long since replaced Sergio's Groo series as my favorite. (For one thing, it is still being produced)

I grew up reading comics and had several favorite "accumulations" as a kid, but had given up the hobby by the time I entered high school. I started buying comics again after chancing upon a few issues of a friend's Groo comics. Then the acumulation of issues transformed into a real collection as I learned more about the hobby and the industry.

When I started to read and collect Stan's Usagi series, I was aware of and incorporated the wide range of related collectables that are produced and available.

I have a collection that includes all the individual isues of the Usagi Yojimbo series, as well as all the anthology titles (From Albedo to Drawing the Line) which contain Usagi stories.

I have prints, posters, calendars, original art and sketches, trading cards, signing cards, fanzines, magazines and newspapers featuring articles and interviews, etc.

I have material which was published in Germany, France, Belguim, and Spain.

My favorite piece of art is below:

untitled116ik.gif

Abayo...

PS

I found and bought a vf / nm copy of Albedo vol. 1, no. 2 in a half-price sale ad in Comics buyer's Guide for $25.00 plus delivery. grin.gif

Where do you guys/gals buy all your original sketches, pictures and signed comics?

The ones I posted were both free. You just have to find a convention that Stan Sakai is at, and ask him for a sketch. He is a VERY nice guy and I am sure he would be happy to oblige.

I got my sketch at the Chicago Comicon in 1994. I have a hard-bound sketchbook and get sketches done by artists I like.

The art is for sale in a number of places. There's a thread with a list of art dealers in the Original Art forum.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...ge=0#Post917236

Thanks guys. I live in a small [embarrassing lack of self control] hole down in the middle of no where...imagen the TV show Northern Exposure I live in Cicely!! I will never get to attend any comic cons. I have to buy my comics via mail. This is one of the reason I love these message boards, probably the only chance for me to see stuff like this. Thanks all.

Thanks guys. I live in a small [embarrassing lack of self control] hole down in the middle of no where...imagen the TV show Northern Exposure I live in Cicely!! I will never get to attend any comic cons. I have to buy my comics via mail. This is one of the reason I love these message boards, probably the only chance for me to see stuff like this. Thanks all.

Stan lives in Northern California, so if I see him at another Con, I'd be happy to get a sketch for you. He's a really nice guy.

I'm a huge Yojimbo/TMNT fan. And Bone is pretty much my favorite all-time independent comic.

Funny/stupid story: In 1993, for a 5th grade school project, I wrote to Jeff Smith asking for a copy of Bone # 1 (we had to write to a company requesting some sort of sample). I never received anything. frown.gif27_laughing.gif

I've never been able to get ahold of a Bone 1 first printing that was in decent shape.

I've been a fan of Bone since 1998, it was one of the first comics I picked up beyond my Betty/Veronica years, and it's still a favorite. Right now I'm enjoying the big Bone paperback with the whole series, I read about 1 chapter a day and it's so much fun. It's so unique, but there's something comforting about it to me- kind of like the feeling I get when I read Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes. Love it!