• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the WATA/Heritage Scandal spill over into our beloved comic books ?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, zosocane said:

1:20 is Jimmy Page; Jeff Beck comes in at the 1:34 mark.

C'mon, with a name like that I'm sure you know that at the time of that movie the only "god of guitar" in the minds of the audience on that stage was Beck.  Page's Yardbird's output was below his talent level both with and without Beck. 

On 9/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

C'mon, with a name like that I'm sure you know that at the time of that movie the only "god of guitar" in the minds of the audience on that stage was Beck.  Page's Yardbird's output was below his talent level both with and without Beck. 

True, but by the last year, Page had pretty much taken over The Yardbirds and was telegraphing what was to come.

I watched the video and I also did some of my own research & realized there was a lot of inaccurate or misleading information/speculation/opinions being narrated as facts. I don't have a dog in this fight but I do know the collectable markets & almost everything he said in the video seems to have been public knowledge and pretty easy to find & even known by many gaming collectors/investors long before this video popped up. I also remember this same kind of crapola all over the net 20 yrs ago when CGC books started to take off and we see where that market is at today  So while we may be in the wild west days of graded games I think it's fair to say their world wide cultural impact & generational popularity leads me to believe the graded gaming market is going to continue to grow & see impressive numbers regardless of this so called conspiracy. What I find so hilarious is how collectors are taking all the facts in the video as 100% legit. It's kind of ironic but from the post I have read it seems like a lot of older collectors are feeling locked out of hobby ( which is one thing I can relate to in comics) & really want to make this a much bigger deal then it is. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 9/7/2021 at 4:57 PM, zosocane said:

True, but by the last year, Page had pretty much taken over The Yardbirds and was telegraphing what was to come.

I think Page's telegraph was louder on this:

And Plant had his own telegraph:

And I still think that Hurdy Gurdy Man was the first proto-Zep song no matter what Page says about who played lead guitar.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, this is a point I've made to Bronty several times, as he seems to have been one of the biggest proponents on these Boards of slabbed video game collecting.

It's why I've never had the slightest interest in collecting video games, because of the completely artificial nature of the hobby.  All the action is in what are essentially warehouse finds of games which never left the stock room, let alone be paid.  And what games never left the stock room?  Dud games that no one wanted to buy.  There seems to be zero correlation between demand/price and how popular a game actually was in its heyday.

It's so different from comics, cards and other collectibles that were intended to be disposable, where part/most of the fun is in finding items that miraculously managed to survive for decades in great condition despite their disposable purpose.  The main action in comics is also in titles that were actually popular and well read. 

If the comic hobby were like the video game hobby, every copy of Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men would be worth pennies, while the most valuable books would be file or warehouse copies of weird, esoteric titles that never made a ripple commercially.

If I wanted to collect something that I have zero emotional attachment to, then I'd collect coins or stamps.

Thats why my focus has been in the collecting area of the future, download codes for games.  Hoping to create my own grading company for them.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:46 AM, batman_fan said:

Thats why my focus has been in the collecting area of the future, download codes for games.  Hoping to create my own grading company for them.

Once upon a time I would've assumed this was a joke, but these days... ?

What I want to know is how can the WATA/Heritage scandal spill into our hobby if it hasn't even spilled over into WATA/Heritage ? They're still chugging along like the Red Eye to Omaha ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, jimjum12 said:

What I want to know is how can the WATA/Heritage scandal spill into our hobby if it hasn't even spilled over into WATA/Heritage ? They're still chugging along like the Red Eye to Omaha ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I don't know, ...maybe it has something to do with the new Goldin Rule.    ;)

Not sure what people in this thread are talking about. The biggest sellers to date have been high grade copies of the no-brainer titles...Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Mario 64, etc. Not prototypes, not dud games.

All of the sales approaching a million dollars that I am aware of are the biggest household names. The video game equivalents of Spidey and Batman. Maybe early production runs on a few, but still ubiquitous and widely distributed titles. That, in the cae of 1.5m Mario 64 sale, is what led to such head scratching. It's not rare sealed.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:59 PM, october said:

Not sure what people in this thread are talking about. The biggest sellers to date have been high grade copies of the no-brainer titles...Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Mario 64, etc. Not prototypes, not dud games.

All of the sales approaching a million dollars that I am aware of are the biggest household names. The video game equivalents of Spidey and Batman. Maybe early production runs on a few, but still ubiquitous and widely distributed titles. That, in the cae of 1.5m Mario 64 sale, is what led to such head scratching. It's not rare sealed.

There's always the killjoy, who feels compelled to weigh in and spoil a perfectly good conspiracy theory.