• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,157 posts in this topic

I have not had any issues with waiting for buyers to pay but I only have 20 items currently and 35 or so sold.

I did sell a Planet Comics there this past week!

On 4/12/2022 at 8:08 PM, Beastfeast said:

Taking an absolute beating on this Prime Auction :ohnoez:

I just bought a comic! Sorry to hear you are not doing well. If it was an Avengers, FF or Planet 58 (underbidder, missed it by this much) I at least put some more in your pocket :wishluck:

On 4/12/2022 at 8:08 PM, Beastfeast said:

Taking an absolute beating on this Prime Auction :ohnoez:

As a seller?

So far my results have been between meh and :cry:

On 4/13/2022 at 10:36 AM, Ryan. said:

As a seller?

So far my results have been between meh and :cry:

As a seller, yeah.  about $1000 off 90 day right now but the last book is a total wild card.  One hasn't sold in grade for years so :wishluck:

Decided last year to focus my collection in specific areas and so sell those parts of my tiny collection that didn't "fit in".  I am inherently lazy so the thought of dealing with the process of selling was causing me stress just thinking about it.  Granted once I consider my cost of grading and the commission involved I'm probably close to 50 cents on the dollar but, I think it's still worth it to me given the complete ease of the transaction.  One mailing to CGC and one mailing to MCS and badda-bing badda-boom I get a nice check in my PayPal account and can now go shopping for something I actually want.  Tried to price everything 10% under "market" and that seemed to work well as most everything I had sold within days.  Don't know if anyone mentioned this in the thread yet, but the data MCS provides regarding sales of the comic you are listing is truly worth the 10% commission itself.  It really lets one set a "fair" price pretty easily.

Excellent service and GREAT product.  Kudos to MCS for their consignment process!!

Now if I could just get back the books I sent for cleaning and pressing sometime this century it sure would be nice :(

Edited by Laszlo the Mudjar

On 4/14/2022 at 2:15 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

the data MCS provides regarding sales of the comic you are listing is truly worth the 10% commission itself.  It really lets one set a "fair" price pretty easily.

it is very helpful, I agree

glad you're happy with the sales...what did you buy? :sumo:

On 3/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Update #2 - I put three of the books in an upcoming auction, and I set a price on the fourth.  That one just sold within a few minutes of my posting it.  :banana: Thanks, MCS!

Update #3 - Two of my auctioned books ended yesterday and the third one ends tonight.  I was hoping to get at least $100 each for those two, and I got $89 and $105, so close enough.  (thumbsu  My third book has been steadily going up the last couple of days and is now finally at $10 over the minimum price I was hoping for.  Hopefully the bidding war will continue for the next two and a half hours.  :wishluck:

My auctions in the first three days ended below where I was hoping. Much lower actually. But my auctions ending tonight look like they will do well so, overall, it looks like even stevens.

I sold two books in the auction.  Was hoping to clear $300 and they sold for $306, so I missed by  7%.   I've got four more tonite, but they are drek that I was surprised they allowed in this auction.  I'm hoping for $250 tonite, and they are currently at $130. 

I got shut out on every Spiderman but won a few books at great prices, and a few others at a decent price.  9.4 copies of X-Men 56 and Daredevil 43 , both of which I consider classic covers,  went well below what I was willing to spend.  Some other books I was blown out of the water on.  I'll be relisting my buys in the next week or so.

I don't put stuff in the auction for at least two months after I list it for sale.  They are better to buy from than to sell in, imo.

Edit- the four books in the modern auctions brought in exactly $250.

Edited by shadroch

On 4/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, Bird said:

it is very helpful, I agree

glad you're happy with the sales...what did you buy? :sumo:

Nothin' yet :)  Waiting 'til I get my C&P books sold then I should have a decent pile of cash to go after a GA Captain America Comic.  Although a recent thread I started made me think about starting a collection of New Gods and that might be a better use of the money.  We'll see . . . 

Edited by Laszlo the Mudjar

On 4/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Update #3 - Two of my auctioned books ended yesterday and the third one ends tonight.  I was hoping to get at least $100 each for those two, and I got $89 and $105, so close enough.  (thumbsu  My third book has been steadily going up the last couple of days and is now finally at $10 over the minimum price I was hoping for.  Hopefully the bidding war will continue for the next two and a half hours.  :wishluck:

Final update - The bidding war was more of a minor skirmish, but I got another $20 out of it.  Overall, I'm very happy with the results. (thumbsu

On 4/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, Mike Bray said:

I was able to price out my 1`st 8 items yesterday morning ( with 22 more coming in the next couple days ) - one sold in 22 minutes and then sold 2 more overnight -- so 3 out of 8 sold  within 12 hours --  very pleased  :banana::banana::banana:

I'm glad you are pleased but selling them that quickly indicates you might be pricing them too low. Check in a week or so and see if the books were relisted at a higher price. I do this, and I suspect I'm not alone.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

I agree with the statement to the extent that a higher price might have been possible, but I would put a finer point on the words "too low."  

When a seller sets a price and achieves said price both buyer and seller are hopefully happy.  I intentionally priced my first batch of comics below market in a desire to move them quickly.  Given the fact that about half my books sold in the first 2 days, it appears to have worked, and I am ecstatic with the results.  Could I have perhaps priced them higher and gotten more money?  Yes, without question.  That doesn't alter the fact that I am happy with the results and do not consider my sales prices to have been "too low."  I think they met my goal of a quick sale, and secondarily I greatly enjoy the thought that my prices give the buyer a sense that they got a deal.  In fact, given the MCS habit of grading comics lower than most might expect is exactly that type of marketing ploy.  Give buyers a reason to think they are getting a deal, and you will increase your success as a seller.  I know I for one hate paying "market" prices or more for a book and love when I get "a deal".

Anyways, just a tiny point in a fun hobby.

.... plus, there's nothing worse than paying top dollar for a book only to find that it's also overgraded. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

I agree with the statement to the extent that a higher price might have been possible, but I would put a finer point on the words "too low."  

When a seller sets a price and achieves said price both buyer and seller are hopefully happy.  I intentionally priced my first batch of comics below market in a desire to move them quickly.  Given the fact that about half my books sold in the first 2 days, it appears to have worked, and I am ecstatic with the results.  Could I have perhaps priced them higher and gotten more money?  Yes, without question.  That doesn't alter the fact that I am happy with the results and do not consider my sales prices to have been "too low."  I think they met my goal of a quick sale, and secondarily I greatly enjoy the thought that my prices give the buyer a sense that they got a deal.  In fact, given the MCS habit of grading comics lower than most might expect is exactly that type of marketing ploy.  Give buyers a reason to think they are getting a deal, and you will increase your success as a seller.  I know I for one hate paying "market" prices or more for a book and love when I get "a deal".

Anyways, just a tiny point in a fun hobby.

I also tend to price my books below what other copies are listed at in order to keep the cash flow moving. Having books sitting available for months on end doesn't do much for me. 

On the other hand I also scour the new listings and buy underpriced books to then reconsign back. It's all part of the game.