• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS suspends shipping to Australia

23 posts in this topic

If using eBay this is why I strongly recommend the global shipping program.  If a package is held up in customs or denied entry for any reason the issue falls upon eBay and not the seller.  eBay will then make the buyer and seller whole.  Strangely enough, if the package is returned to the US eBay takes it and auctions it under their own account. 

This happened last year with a package to Australia where something was purchased from me that was illegal in Australia where it was denied entry at customs.  This also happened last year when packages were in a crawl for a multitude of reasons.  

On 9/9/2021 at 2:42 AM, Buzzetta said:

If using eBay this is why I strongly recommend the global shipping program.  If a package is held up in customs or denied entry for any reason the issue falls upon eBay and not the seller.  eBay will then make the buyer and seller whole.  Strangely enough, if the package is returned to the US eBay takes it and auctions it under their own account. 

This happened last year with a package to Australia where something was purchased from me that was illegal in Australia where it was denied entry at customs.  This also happened last year when packages were in a crawl for a multitude of reasons.  

what the heck were you sending that was deemed illegal?

I'm sure many of us are curious

On 9/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, 01TheDude said:

what the heck were you sending that was deemed illegal?

I'm sure many of us are curious

Maybe prohibited is a better word.  It was a piece of jewelry that contained mother of pearl.  Australia apparently has it on a list of prohibited items to import or the US has it on a list of prohibited items to export specifically to Australia.  It is one or the other.   Either way, since eBay does the forms for you they declare the item as per the title.  Since Mother of Pearl was in the title of the listing it was tied up in customs.  When I inquired as to what would happen, I remember that eBay told me that to no fault of my own, Australian buyers should not have been able to purchase the item.  (No, I don't know how that works).  Without my prompting eBay told me that no money would be withdrawn and the buyer was refunded.   

I later found out that eBay or Pitney Bowes sometimes receives these items and auctions them off on eBay.   It took me a bit but I found the listing and saw that they sold it for about the same that I originally did.   I wish I could find the link to the Pitney Bowes private account on eBay again to show you all the stuff that gets lost in the mail or denied through customs that they sell off.  There were a lot of pieces of jewelry, knives and other things that are normally permissible to sell within the US but not internationally. 

If you were looking for a more 'interesting' transaction, you could have been with me yesterday at 6:15 as a drug deal took place and one guy dropped some of his little heroin packets on the floor.  I partially turned away and went back to listening to my podcast.   Ahhh the MTA... it's like live theater. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I rang @mycomicshop this week after I saw that announcement. I had to pay for some books I'd purchased and asked them what the 'no shipping to Australia' would mean for this order. I was OK with them holding the books, but the operator put me on hold and asked about it, then came back and told me it should be OK. Maybe they use some other shipper? We'll see. :wishluck:

Just had someone ask me to ship something that would weigh 1lb 7oz to Australia ... 

Seriously? 

There was no cheaper option that would fit the items. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.59.01 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/13/2021 at 2:47 PM, profholt82 said:

I preordered a book from an Australian publisher, and it has been pushed back numerous times. Apparently, their covid restrictions have been very strict in Australia during the last few months.

Can confirm. 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:47 AM, AJD said:

I rang @mycomicshop this week after I saw that announcement. I had to pay for some books I'd purchased and asked them what the 'no shipping to Australia' would mean for this order. I was OK with them holding the books, but the operator put me on hold and asked about it, then came back and told me it should be OK. Maybe they use some other shipper? We'll see. :wishluck:

Our shipments to Australia will temporarily be using an alternate carrier (not USPS) so should continue to reach Australia customers without problem.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, mycomicshop said:

Our shipments to Australia will temporarily be using an alternate carrier (not USPS) so should continue to reach Australia customers without problem.

:banana:

Thank you! Love your work guys.

Just to note - StarTrack are Australia Post's couriers.

So no parcel deliveries by the Post Office until the strike ends.

Fedex have a big depot in Melbourne, so probably wise to check in USA if posting to Southern Australia

That explains why the package that arrived here Monday from MCS came via UPS. The weird thing is that as soon as it hits the deck in Oz, Australia Post becomes the carrier - I picked it up from the local P.O.

Just to close the loop, this worked just fine. I got the parcel about 10 days after your post. Thank you!