• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

News about new book being burned in more than 20 schools in canada
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Yes its happening again!in Canada because of american native (autochtones)being badly portrayed it seems and some i might agree but the book of pochahontas from disney?tintin in america?aterix and obelix?among others!!well its from chatolic schools and some of those books are being burned because those american native women are portrayed too sexie like its the case in pochahontas!!and the same thing with the woman falling in love with obelix just because she is portrayed too sexie it seems,where will it stop?

Edited by Namtak

It is a case of french community school so the info i found was in french but see for yourself there might be english websites that talk about it,while i understand some i found it to be too extreme like in the case of pochahontas and asterix and obelix but i might be wrong,but destroying them and burning them ,that i just cant stand it.well thats me .....what is your opinion?

This may very well be an interesting topic, as was perhaps the dr suess, in that this thing happens from time to time. It isnt so much comics in general that are being shunned so I'm not sure that it may be too serious like 50s and 60s burning etc.

Still that said it is worth it to take note, and possibly come to your own conclusions..... etc

Still this won't affect the over all hobby, nor will it affect Disney? The owner of "properites?" In the end, something will come along to mend or replace, and as for comics, the hobby should stay cohesive enough despite changes if any :wishluck:

For tintin i might agree a little but not to the degree of burning it!and it is representative of the era yes peau rouge was one of the name they were called,its regrettable but it was that way back then.putting a notice on the book and an explaination of why it was that way back then and not apropriate at our era might have been better than burning them,just put a warning on the book explaining why its not appropriate today but was accapted before.not burning them!!

On 9/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This may very well be an interesting topic, as was perhaps the dr suess, in that this thing happens from time to time. It isnt so much comics in general that are being shunned so I'm not sure that it may be too serious like 50s and 60s burning etc.

Still that said it is worth it to take note, and possibly come to your own conclusions..... etc

Still this won't affect the over all hobby, nor will it affect Disney? The owner of "properites?" In the end, something will come along to mend or replace, and as for comics, the hobby should stay cohesive enough despite changes if any :wishluck:

Some of the artists (still alive have already complained as it is written in the link i send and other author not aimed at but is just ashamed of the censorship saying that books from the 19th and 20th century might be a little outdated but if we rejet them all there will only have books from the last 30 years in bibliothèque, not exactly my words im parraphrasing what was written in french lol

Edited by Namtak

On 9/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No wont affect the hobby for now i agree but it stings a little some of those Lucky luke or asterix i read a lot at school when young and was found of those books overall and not focussing on only one panel of it,yeah some i discovered in school so...it just Sting a bit ill feel better tomorrow lol

On 9/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, Namtak said:

Some of the artists (still alive have already complained as it is written in the link i send and other author not aimed at but is just ashamed of the censorship saying that books from the 19th and 20th century might be a little outdated but if we rejet them all there will only have books from the last 30 years in bibliothèque, not exactly my words im parraphrasing what was written in french lol

Lol I'm sure the history of it will be told of and etc.

Whether they burn them or change the way its marketed probably isnt the only ways of change, but it's what people see as an option and they may not be willing to seek others at this point.

Hindsight can be 20/20, but in the end, preservation probably isnt high priority. Sometimes we can only see one thing at a time, doesnt mean it's wrong, it's just where we find ourselves on that day (thumbsu

I remember thinking pocahontas was sexy lol

But such is childhood Haha, tomorrow itll be another, just got to roll with what you got and try to make the best choices you can, then 5 years later you may see if you were right or point of view changes ...

On 9/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, D84 said:

Burning books has always proven to be great for society. 

tenor-1.gif.3459dd86ca1f4d746b36e734f27917b1.gif

But it's what happens nearly every single time lol

I mean, maybe going on the news wasnt enough? 

I mean how did that conversation start anyway?

Guy: I've got a 5 o'clock appointment to tell the media about some serious infractions....

Other guy: let's start a fire! :insane:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Book burning is proof of ignorance and weak will

It's also agenda. In capital letters and exclamation points

Just find it sad,nothing more,and a little concerned that to this day and age people wanting to prove a point should burn books,i mean thats part of our hobby if i dont like a book i give it or sell it to someone who is interested in it not burn it,at least recycle thatd be sad but at least it would help a little

I mean are there First Nations people in Canada who want these books kept? If not, then I’m fine if they disappear and can be replaced with new appropriate stories that honour them rather degrade them in some way.

The argument to keep them because “history and the way things were” is a poor one I feel.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I just think that if you aren’t part of the oppressed or racial group in question, your opinion on what should be done isn’t one we should hear is all.

I did not start that topic for racial or pollitical reason just want opinion of anybody and everybody not just a group of people in particular,opinion of everybody who love the hobby of collecting comic books ,just to be clear.its big news in Canada is all.and wanted the reaction of passionate collectors and toughts on the matter.removing books from an institution or destroying them is two different things and should be a knowledge as such.

Edited by Namtak

@Dr. Dank i too am a little horrified by the news,but if comments continue to slide off like that i will ask to close that thread before it escalade too much and someone innavertantly hurt one of our board members.that is valid for everyone.