• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things in comics it took you a while to notice
2 2

131 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, grendelbo said:

The correct pronunciation of Mjolnir.

tumblr_a527548225107c164d376170012b4a48_0d398edc_500.gif.d01719096fd9bd243eecb3e28ac05fd3.gif

Does that count?

Nidavellir is about 10 times more difficult.  
He doesn’t even get close.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/7/2021 at 4:47 PM, bronze_rules said:

In my head it's M (uh) (reen) er

Without the 'r' at the end the word is pronounced muh-reen. With the 'r' it becomes mare-in-er.

Another way to look at it; Navy personnel are assigned to submarines, not sub-marines. The hyphen is the difference.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:25 AM, Upgrayd said:

Samuel Taylor Coleridge settled that 200 years ago.

Or the Iron Maiden song.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:41 AM, Jayman said:

I’m pretty sure I remember reading that Bill Everett said it was to be pronounced like Sub-M(are)(in)er.

Whenever I’ve watched a World War 2 documentary about the war at sea and German U-Boats and their  submariner sailors were mentioned, the name was always pronounced this way.

Exactly the same time period during which Everett created Namor.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, grendelbo said:

In the 90s it took me a couple of years to recognize Liefeld was a hack.

giphy.gif.3f9a63e053d487d07128da9ff1642221.gif

☮️

In the 1970s it took me the time spent looking at a couple of pages of Frank Robbins art during his Marvel phase to realise he was hacking it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I love this cover...first appearance of Medusa, the color scheme, however I've always wondered how the Trapster (aka Paste Pot Pete) could be encircling Ben's wrists with his marvelous adhesive. From my perspective, Ben is standing inside the room, yet his arms are outside of the window of the FF's skyscraper headquarters. The window pane is shown (like the other window) by the slanted lines indicating the glass. 

FF 36.jpeg

On 9/8/2021 at 1:45 PM, davidtere said:

I love this cover...first appearance of Medusa, the color scheme, however I've always wondered how the Trapster (aka Paste Pot Pete) could be encircling Ben's wrists with his marvelous adhesive. From my perspective, Ben is standing inside the room, yet his arms are outside of the window of the FF's skyscraper headquarters. The window pane is shown (like the other window) by the slanted lines indicating the glass. 

FF 36.jpeg

I took issue with it too, but just above Benn's shoulders is "wood" like the window is raised. Why we don't see the same wood paneling in the adjacent window for contrast I do not know. Was it normal back then for "all" windows to be able to be raised? One would assume.

T.V. and such would have us believe that from the time period, so now I "take issue" with the window the sandman is opening or removing without the window working that way 

sigh

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

It took me a few years to realize that if you want to have any comics worth selling, make sure they are CGC slabbed.

I know this is funny but it's true.

Read comics, enjoy comics, collect comics... get signed comics. But if you want to SELL comics, make sure they are CGC cased.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:03 PM, valiantman said:

Spider-Man reveals his secret identity in public the very first time he's shown.

af15magnet.jpg.637cf0172c83e7212fe10b508ac4b9c2.jpg

At the time he also went by Peter Palmer.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:45 PM, davidtere said:

FF 36.jpeg

I’ve only just noticed Medusa’s hair.

Is it attached to something out of shot, a helicopter, perhaps?

On 9/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve only just noticed Medusa’s hair.

Is it attached to something out of shot, a helicopter, perhaps?

I imagine a flag pole, the 3 stooges were always hanging from them 

On 9/9/2021 at 6:28 AM, universal soldier said:

Kha-zar or Kay-zar?

Kay-Zar. Again, I think that came from a mention on a 90's cartoon (but not an appearance, sadly) so I couldn't say where or when, but I think I recall it being pronounced in that manner. 

C'mahn, trust me, I got Sub-Mariner right! :sorry: