• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things in comics it took you a while to notice
2 2

131 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Kay-Zar. Again, I think that came from a mention on a 90's cartoon (but not an appearance, sadly) so I couldn't say where or when, but I think I recall it being pronounced in that manner. 

C'mahn, trust me, I got Sub-Mariner right! :sorry:

Did you get thanos correct?

I could of sworn it was thay  nos

On 9/9/2021 at 6:47 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Did you get thanos correct?

I could of sworn it was thay  nos

I honestly was right on Thanos too. Small town kid has lots of time to practice imaginary names. News at 5!

Nah, I did a lot of speech and drama, so I was used to figuring this stuff out on the fly, and it often worked in my favour. Just for luck with Marvel. Now, DC on the other hand... 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:07 PM, D2 said:

It took me a few years to realize that if you want to have any comics worth selling, make sure they are CGC slabbed.

I know this is funny but it's true.

Read comics, enjoy comics, collect comics... get signed comics. But if you want to SELL comics, make sure they are CGC cased.

Which flavor kool-aid is your favorite?

On 9/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, shadroch said:
On 9/8/2021 at 2:07 PM, D2 said:

It took me a few years to realize that if you want to have any comics worth selling, make sure they are CGC slabbed.

I know this is funny but it's true.

Read comics, enjoy comics, collect comics... get signed comics. But if you want to SELL comics, make sure they are CGC cased.

He likes "If-you're-not-an-established-seller-on-eBay-you-will-never-get-a-good-price-for-your-comics-without-CGC" Grape.

Yes 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, valiantman said:

He likes "If-you're-not-an-established-seller-on-eBay-you-will-never-get-a-good-price-for-your-comics-without-CGC" Grape.

I've tried that too, does get better with age and experience 

200-1.gif

On 9/8/2021 at 4:54 PM, shadroch said:

green.

Like the money I've lost over the years not getting my books graded, and then hounded and harassed by every single buyer about the condition of my books even though I always post the maximum of 12 images per listing per book so everyone can see exactly what the condition is at every single angle and reflection of light but it doesn't matter because they are still sending me a thousand messages about a book that is listed for $100 as though it's going to break the bank and they are freaking out about it...

That color.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, D2 said:

I felt that 6 years selling on ebay was enough abuse for 1 lifetime.

Oh I definitely agree, its definitely not impossible to sell raw, but concessions are made in that area for me. For the sake of your POV, I'd say slabs are easier. I've had no complaints in either area, yet I dont sell that often and when I do, I like to get done and sell it faster and possibly easier.

But raw is not impossible, it's just easier to complain (an Ebay buyer) for the sake of it. They're not always wrong, but slabs I consider 3rd party and write that in my listing. Then you have scratches and rings and other qc things.

Just depends on what I have in stock, the amount I want or need to sell at, how fast I'm looking at turnover, and that's a lot when you sell once in a blue moon idk.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:09 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Can always sell to dealers and get 25% of what your stuff is actually worth 👌 

I did think of mentioning that too. I've had face to face disagreement in grade, and I can see what they have to deal with daily. Another reason I'm empathetic that cgc somewhat levels a playing field. Still that 25%- is more like 40-45% at most of the LCS near me, but raw 25%? You betcha!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh I definitely agree, its definitely not impossible to sell raw, but concessions are made in that area for me. For the sake of your POV, I'd say slabs are easier. I've had no complaints in either area, yet I dont sell that often and when I do, I like to get done and sell it faster and possibly easier.

But raw is not impossible, it's just easier to complain (an Ebay buyer) for the sake of it. They're not always wrong, but slabs I consider 3rd party and write that in my listing. Then you have scratches and rings and other qc things.

Just depends on what I have in stock, the amount I want or need to sell at, how fast I'm looking at turnover, and that's a lot when you sell once in a blue moon idk.

I know what you mean. I know some people have had good experiences with selling raws, and it definitely varies depending on the platform, much to shadroch's point... facebook marketplace for instance.

I just laugh and smile when I get the reactions that I do, waving the CGC flag with stacks of arguments against me, because if people knew me, which they don't, they would know that I HATED slabbed books. lol

Hated slabs. I fought against getting slabbed books for years and years and years. 

Only bought raws, would even get my books signed by artists... I did the whole comic collecting game, trading, selling, for years. 

And you know what, after 10 years of collecting, and 6 years of selling most of the comics I collected for 10 years, I won't ever bother selling a raw book again.

I still buy raw books (for me), but I highly doubt they'll ever end up on ebay, or any other selling platform.

If you want to sell books, get them slabbed.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, D2 said:

I know what you mean. I know some people have had good experiences with selling raws, and it definitely varies depending on the platform, much to shadroch's point... facebook marketplace for instance.

I just laugh and smile when I get the reactions that I do, waving the CGC flag with stacks of arguments against me, because if people knew me, which they don't, they would know that I HATED slabbed books. lol

Hated slabs. I fought against getting slabbed books for years and years and years. 

Only bought raws, would even get my books signed by artists... I did the whole comic collecting game, trading, selling, for years. 

And you know what, after 10 years of collecting, and 6 years of selling most of the comics I collected for 10 years, I won't ever bother selling a raw book again.

I still buy raw books (for me), but I highly doubt they'll ever end up on ebay, or any other selling platform.

It immediately goes to the grading of raws, for some, and that's not all there is too it. CGC I'll agree isnt the end all be all. That said even when you grade the book, there is buy the book not the grade. Having those conversations that cgc would imply this grade but it still wouldnt get a cva sticker too? Those kinds of conversations over Ebay messaging I'd dread due to time and return when I sell. Sure I dont mind making it right, everyone wants the buyer to be happy and or satisfied! I havent had those conversations yet and no one is perfect, and reputations can grow a business.  It's a touchy thing to even be contemplating any kind of error.

It's how we learn, it's what works for us, I wouldnt blanket the statement but perhaps I have in the past. It all takes time, and knowing what is the situation lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, D2 said:

I've sold over $100,000 so far this year. A wild guess would be about $6,000 were graded. 

On 9/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It immediately goes to the grading of raws, for some, and that's not all there is too it. CGC I'll agree isnt the end all be all, that said even when you grade the book, there is buy the book not the grade, and having those conversations that cgc would imply this grade but it still wouldnt get a cva sticker too? Those kinds of conversations over Ebay messaging I'd dread due to time and return when I sell. Sure I dont mind making it right, everyone wants the buyer to be happy and or satisfied! I havent had those conversations yet no one is perfect and reputations can grow a business.  So it's a touchy thing to even be contemplating any kind of error.

It's how we learn, it's what works for us, I wouldnt blanket the statement but perhaps I have in the past. It all takes time, and knowing what is the situation lol

I think further to your point, there are so many variables, and I'm not even talking about the variables in the condition of the book.

The variables of the selling process, what books you have, the target audience, genre, resources and if you have literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory... the hype of the book and interest, can you afford to sit on the items indefinitely...

I know what you mean, a blanket statement is a bold comment to make, and I know the type of comic book enthusiast. I am a comic enthusiast. A reader and collector at heart and by nature. 

Unfortunately the average comic 'collector' does not seem to view the hobby the same way I do, and question the condition and authenticity of everything they see. Rightfully so...

For the long game, and to keep your wits about you, I see no other way.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:33 PM, shadroch said:

I've sold over $100,000 so far this year. A wild guess would be about $6,000 were graded. 

lol!

Yes, precisely.

A warehouse of inventory.

Your platform and success far exceeds anything I would consider possible, because it's not my career.

I mean, kudos to you, truly, for having a successful avenue for your market. I mean that.

But you are not the rule, unless most people can float $100,000 in comic books freely without the stresses of feeling like they need to offload them to pay the gas bill.