• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things in comics it took you a while to notice
2 2

131 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, D2 said:

I think further to your point, there are so many variables, and I'm not even talking about the variables in the condition of the book.

The variables of the selling process, what books you have, the target audience, genre, resources and if you have literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory... the hype of the book and interest, can you afford to sit on the items indefinitely...

I know what you mean, a blanket statement is a bold comment to make, and I know the type of comic book enthusiast. I am a comic enthusiast. A reader and collector at heart and by nature. 

Unfortunately the average comic 'collector' does not seem to view the hobby the same way I do, and question the condition and authenticity of everything they see. Rightfully so...

For the long game, and to keep your wits about you, I see no other way.

lol!

Yes, precisely.

A warehouse of inventory.

Your platform and success far exceeds anything I would consider possible, because it's not my career.

I mean, kudos to you, truly, for having a successful avenue for your market. I mean that.

But you are not the rule, unless most people can float $100,000 in comic books freely without the stresses of feeling like they need to offload them to pay the gas bill.

Yes I thought we were speaking more to procedure rather than balance sheet. To that point, I feel I'm rolling when I sell for $600, knowing what I have in it. Building up inventory to ne even able to make concessions for a buyer to be happy takes time. More often there is less room for a buyer to wiggle with a 3rd party grade like cgc, it happens there too though.

Take it or leave it van be said in person, online you have pics the best you can, but the buyer van take legal precedence with an Ebay rep. This 6.5 isnt a cgc 6.5? I'm not cgc so seller pays. Dont list a grade and just name your price and itll sell with pics. I usually have wiggle room and just under grade grade etc, but it's all the same authority, ie me not cgc

On 9/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, D2 said:

I think further to your point, there are so many variables, and I'm not even talking about the variables in the condition of the book.

The variables of the selling process, what books you have, the target audience, genre, resources and if you have literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory... the hype of the book and interest, can you afford to sit on the items indefinitely...

I know what you mean, a blanket statement is a bold comment to make, and I know the type of comic book enthusiast. I am a comic enthusiast. A reader and collector at heart and by nature. 

Unfortunately the average comic 'collector' does not seem to view the hobby the same way I do, and question the condition and authenticity of everything they see. Rightfully so...

For the long game, and to keep your wits about you, I see no other way.

lol!

Yes, precisely.

A warehouse of inventory.

Your platform and success far exceeds anything I would consider possible, because it's not my career.

I mean, kudos to you, truly, for having a successful avenue for your market. I mean that.

But you are not the rule, unless most people can float $100,000 in comic books freely without the stresses of feeling like they need to offload them to pay the gas bill.

I'm selling my collection. It wasn't a warehouse of inventory.  The only " stock" I had was maybe a dozen boxes of moderns I picked up for nothing. So far, it is my under copies of SA books, a bunch of BA and some Schomburg covers. The majority was sold through MCS, some was consigned to two friends, some was sold here and some on Craig's list.

FF2, a few in the single digits, a bunch below 60, Hulk, 3.5,6,  Daredevil2, 7 and a bunch of others.

It's not about location as where I live in Cochise County Arizona is three hours south of nowhere.

Donut could buy a small country with the proceeds from his raw sales on ebay.

I don't want to fight with you. It appears you have not had good success selling raw books. I don't know what you are trying to sell but I'd suggest you find some successful sellers and compare and contrast your selling to theirs.  Figure out what they do to succeed and copy it.

I hate ebay. In fact I'm about to go on a rave against it over in Comics General.

Edited by shadroch

On 9/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes I thought we were speaking more to procedure rather than balance sheet. To that point, I feel I'm rolling when I sell for $600, knowing what I have in it. Building up inventory to ne even able to make concessions for a buyer to be happy takes time. More often there is less room for a buyer to wiggle with a 3rd party grade like cgc, it happens there too though.

Take it or leave it van be said in person, online you have pics the best you can, but the buyer van take legal precedence with an Ebay rep. This 6.5 isnt a cgc 6.5? I'm not cgc so seller pays. Dont list a grade and just name your price and itll sell with pics. I usually have wiggle room and just under grade grade etc, but it's all the same authority, ie me not cgc

Yes, exactly.

I am sorry to be so bold. I am, of course, generalizing.

I have met and dealt with some fantastic people, comic collectors, that have loved and praised my wares, and have repeated purchases. People have spent literally thousands of dollars from me over the course of a few years. It's such a gratifying feeling selling to a fellow collector that is in absolute love with what you've sold them.

Unfortunately those people are drowned out by the horde.

zombie-horde-of-zombies.gif

On 9/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, shadroch said:

I'm selling my collection. It wasn't a warehouse of inventory.  The only " stock" I had was maybe a dozen boxes of moderns I picked up for nothing. So far, it is my undercopies of SA books, a bunch of BA and some Schomburg covers. The majority was sold through MCS, some was consigned to two friens, some was sold here and some on craigs list.

FF2, a few in the single digits, a bunch below 60, Hulk, 3.5,6,  Daredevil2, 7 nd a bunch of others.

Donut could buy a small country with the proceeds from his raw sales on ebay.

I don't want to fight with you. It appears you have not had good success selling raw books. I don't know what you are trying to sell but I'd suggest you find some successful sellers and compare and contrast your selling to theirs.  Figure out what they do to succeed and copy it.

I hate ebay. In fact I'm about to go on a rave against it over in Comics General.

It's all good.

And I know that other peoples' experiences do not reflect my own. 

Like I said though, if you've had a different experience, all I can say is that I am jealous. Truly jealous, and a successful and healthy seller's market is good for everyone. I am glad that you've had a better time than me. I don't wish my experiences on any comic enthusiast.

ebay is awful, and they are the worst they've ever been.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:05 PM, D2 said:

It's all good.

And I know that other peoples' experiences do not reflect my own. 

Like I said though, if you've had a different experience, all I can say is that I am jealous. Truly jealous, and a successful and healthy seller's market is good for everyone. I am glad that you've had a better time than me. I don't wish my experiences on any comic enthusiast.

ebay is awful, and they are the worst they've ever been.

Don't be jealous. Learn from them. What do they do that you don't. What books are a waste of time, what books just got hot.  Almost every week, I read on these boards about a book that suddenly gets hot, and I go looking to see if I have it.  I had a Marvel Spotlight in my $1 box that for a few weeks was a $50 book. 

Anyways, best of luck. Keep trying and keep learning. The alternative sux.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, marvelcollector said:

For a long time I misinterpreted this cover as Spider-Man rescuing somebody.

Oooh ooh teacher! Me too!

Lol its amazing how much we think we see in comics, its probably why rewatching old movies from childhood is so much fun, you catch what happened while you blinked haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, valiantman said:

Spider-Man reveals his secret identity in public the very first time he's shown.

af15magnet.jpg.637cf0172c83e7212fe10b508ac4b9c2.jpg

He's probably a bad guy... it was more obvious it was bad guys the first time this cover was drawn on Action Comics #26. :foryou:

Action_Comics_026.jpg.8ee0b6c0d65e345d30e33c1aa88a6410.jpg

On 9/8/2021 at 8:30 PM, valiantman said:
On 9/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, valiantman said:

Spider-Man reveals his secret identity in public the very first time he's shown.

af15magnet.jpg.637cf0172c83e7212fe10b508ac4b9c2.jpg

Expand  

Expand  

He's probably a bad guy... it was more obvious it was bad guys the first time this cover was drawn on Action Comics #26. :foryou:

Action_Comics_026.jpg.8ee0b6c0d65e345d30e33c1aa88a6410.jpg

This is what it always reminds me of, web AMD asm 121 or not, even just heights or super speeds.

I heard that on a TV show the other day, someone arguing that SUPES flight was a feat of strength and when he catches people they'd be sliced and diced.

I just wanted to say ....

I know I sound nerdy like that sometimes :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, bronze_rules said:

It would be great if I could even hear them say it. :cry: And he's the jfpoaifjkd nlasnflajsdnfaljsdfn the prince of the sea!

No at 0:07 it clearly says the sub mariner.

Edited by kav

On 9/8/2021 at 10:22 PM, iggy said:

Since nobody mentioned it, the issue with this book is the hidden 4 letter word on the cover... it took me awhile to relocate it.

omg

On 9/9/2021 at 6:22 AM, iggy said:

Since nobody mentioned it, the issue with this book is the hidden 4 letter word on the cover... it took me awhile to relocate it.

I had it literally pointed out to me by someone at a comic mart, a couple of decades ago. I was shocked for days.