• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Werewolf By Night #32 Books Often Being More Leniently Graded by CGC?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Some of us have heard anecdotal -- but not substantiated -- opinions of certain books being more stringently graded by CGC than others.

With that in mind, I'm starting to see several copies of Werewolf by Night #32 on auction sites (mostly eBay) that look to me to be noticeably OVER-graded

I own other key Bronze Age Books (MS #5,TOD #10) that don't seem to be graded as forgivingly as this book (which I also own in a 9.0). 

Perhaps this is only my view, but I'd be curious as to what other collectors who are more familiar with CGC grading have to say.

I definitely understand the occasional oversight by CGC, but below are 3 examples of current books on auction with suspect grading IMHO.  What say you?

9.6.jpg

WBN 32  uncertain.jpg

9.0.jpg

Edited by Cool Ghoul
Proper rewording

On 9/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, Pontoon said:

I think CGC can be inconsistent, and possibly go through tighter periods and looser periods, but I don't think any specific individual books are targeted. That said, all three of those look overgraded to me.

I also feel that books of different eras are treated differently.  I have silver age 8.0's that look worst than modern 8.0's.  Just seems to me that the older the book, the more leniency there is with some faults.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, Pontoon said:

I think CGC can be inconsistent, and possibly go through tighter periods and looser periods, but I don't think any specific individual books are targeted. That said, all three of those look overgraded to me.

I just learned that my book was recently graded.  It was graded 4.5 after my reputed and reliable dealer and I agreed it was 5.0.  I checked it throughout if there was any restoration. There was none but I was shocked my book was restored with slight color-touch and it's C-1.  My reaction is.....NO WAY.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Speaking of overgraded, check out this bad boy I've been looking at on Ebay:

20210909_203419.jpg

Fixed the grade.

replace.png

My god that 9.4 is an eyesore. That 9.6 although overgraded isn't as bad but still...and that 9.0! CGC went through a year or so period where they were overgrading a high percentage of books.  They've tightened things up a bit in recent months, but there are thousands of books that were overgraded. I think they were even more lenient with dealer accounts, basically handing out undeserved grades left and right.  I've seen my fair share of overgraded CBCS slabs as well, so I wouldn't say one grading company  grades more reliably than the other.  It's disappointing and any experienced buyer looks at detailed scans of books before purchasing instead of focusing on the grade. 

I believe they are. It's a tougher book to find in genuine high grade. For whatever reason. There are far too many examples of graded copies of this issue where the grade doesn't meet the expectations of the grade range. You see it in the high range. Not so much in the mid or low-grade range.

Just check out sold books on eBay or 8.5+ listed on Heritage. It's a thing.