• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics 1
3 3

103 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, Chicago Boy said:

With the recent  amateur restored copy  sale of the 2.0 where does that put MC 1 in comparison to Bats 1 and the Big 2 ?? *(heck, SUpes 1 as well) 

The book in question sold at the Sept 9, 2021 HA auction for $156,000 which includes the buyer's premium.  

On 9/11/2021 at 6:14 PM, eschnit said:

Many of those books are worth more than 100x guide 40 years ago, that's pretty amazing.  Those are prices for NM- right?  Showcase 4 jumped from $450 to $800 in a year, what a move! lol

AF 15 $450 

Tec 27 $4500

In continuation with this price development curve a NM+ AF15 should be worth approx. 360 million $ in 2061.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:52 PM, Straw-Man said:

i'm told mine will now qualify for a conserved holder; i think i'll bear that expense and do it, as should i decide to divest, it would likely help out my bottom-line.

mm1.jpg

beautifully preserved  book 🙌🙌🙌

Would look great a Conserved label

On 9/11/2021 at 4:28 PM, Timely said:

Crazy to see some of this, including All American #16 at a rank of 40.

There are a whole lot of Disney books on that list. I had no idea they were that popular in the late 70's. The last Overstreet I have (47) only has a small handful of Disney books in the top 100. 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:02 PM, Mutie Fan said:

There are a whole lot of Disney books on that list. I had no idea they were that popular in the late 70's. The last Overstreet I have (47) only has a small handful of Disney books in the top 100. 

Duck books have plummeted.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, Timely said:

Crazy to see some of this, including All American #16 at a rank of 40.

Which was as accurate a place in the top 100 as it is now.

This is my sticking point with OS now, people will pull out a copy from whatever year and use it to say you could buy whatever top book at that year's guide price or that book X was worth more than book Y. He should at least endeavor to get those items right, even if he never fixes things that have sold for multiples of guide upward of 50 years straight.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:38 PM, Mr bla bla said:
On 9/13/2021 at 8:02 PM, Mutie Fan said:

Duck books have plummeted.

You have to wonder how much of that was real, and how much was because some of Bob's cronies were big Duck collectors.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, Crowzilla said:

even if he never fixes things that have sold for multiples of guide upward of 50 years straight.

He's worked so hard to create his record, there's no way he's going to slack off now.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:36 PM, zen514 said:

This thread has derailed a bit. Could we get back on Marvel Comics 1?

I remember in the 90s Geppi paid a huge sum for one? Was it the Mile High?

No, and no.

I need to wrap my head around this question- If the Church Marvel Comics #1 (call it a 9.8) or Allentown Captain America #1 (9.8, upgraded from 9.6) came up for sale today where would they rank against the Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 that just sold?

Against one of the other three 9.6s, if one were to come up for sale?

My brain hurts. 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:30 PM, rob_react said:

I need to wrap my head around this question- If the Church Marvel Comics #1 (call it a 9.8) or Allentown Captain America #1 (9.8, upgraded from 9.6) came up for sale today where would they rank against the Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 that just sold?

Against one of the other three 9.6s, if one were to come up for sale?

My brain hurts. 

Both would be ahead of any of the four AF 15's IMO

On 9/13/2021 at 9:40 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Both would be ahead of any of the four AF 15's IMO

That's my gut, but I'm trying to rank these books and I have to actually square the result we just saw with what I think about the relative values of these books. 

So, would both sell for more than 3.6 million? If so, then that would be fine and my brain wouldn't have to hurt. But when I thought about the values of those two books I didn't really think that they'd sell for more than 3.6 million. Therefore, hurt brain. I may have to recalibrate my brain and just start the conversation for even those books at like $4,000,000.

Another answer would be to value the Amazing Fantasy 15s at like 2.25-2.5 million (with some variation based on page quality/whatever might split them) since I don't think the next one is going to sell for as much as this one did and then I can safely do what my gut tells me to do. But... the book really did sell for that much, so I'd hate to do that. 

Hurt brain!