• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER & THE ATOM BOMB directed by Christopher Nolan (TBD)
3 3

261 posts in this topic

The meme is funny, but it's my understanding that Iran is fully capable of the expertise to build an atomic bomb.  It's the supply of uranium that needs to be enriched to at least 90% for bomb building that keeps them from doing so.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/1/2023 at 6:17 AM, namisgr said:

The meme is funny, but it's my understanding that Iran is fully capable of the expertise to build an atomic bomb.  It's the supply of uranium that needs to be enriched to at least 90% for bomb building that keeps them from doing so.

Along with centrifuges or other equipment/parts of labs mysteriously exploding all on their own............

On 8/1/2023 at 8:47 AM, media_junkie said:

101rvs.jpg

Be that as it may, Iran is getting closer - intelligence suggests they've been found with uranium particles that are 84% enriched.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:47 PM, paperheart said:

Other than Nolan, can't imagine many being able to successfully pitch a $100M, 3 hour movie about 'the atomic bomb guy'; amazed this has found a mammoth audience.  Great film. 

Probably not many, but I could see some others pulling it off such as Oliver Stone, Steven Spielberg, or Ron Howard.  Makes sense that Nolan did it instead of them though because specializes in science and science-fiction more than those three.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:02 AM, kimik said:

We went with our kids last weekend. My wife an I thought it was great, the kids (18 and 19) thought it was boring and moved too slow. We had a discussion about how their generation has the attention spans and focus of gnats on the way home.

I barely cared about history as well until I was around 21 or 22.  "Those that do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them" is a nice introduction to why history is important, but it's nowhere near enough.  MANY, many examples for why looking at history is important are what's needed.

One hook into valuing history is any kid who is bummed about the future for whatever reason--war, famine, climate change, divisive politics, social media, or whatever. People have worried about everything we worry about today MANY times before, and every time it turned out not to matter nearly as much as people were worried about.  Give me something you're worried about and I can dig up a dozen or more examples of people worrying about the same or a similar thing in the past and being wrong about how bad that thing was.

It's also nice to look at history and be reminded about how much better everything gets over time.  If you take any century in the history of human civilization and subtract 100 years from that time things were MUCH worse in every single example.  So 1923 was way worse than 2023, 1823 was way worse than 1923, 1723 than 1823, etc etc.