• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's J. ROBERT OPPENHEIMER & THE ATOM BOMB directed by Christopher Nolan (TBD)
3 3

261 posts in this topic

Review embargo is now lifted and reviews are pouring in.  Rotten Tomatoes is 95% so far on 83 reviews with an average score of 8.90 out of 10.

The average score so far is particularly impressive.  For comparison some of Nolan's other scores are 8.60 for Dark Knight, 8.70 for Dunkirk, and 8.10 for Inception.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:47 PM, Straw-Man said:

ridiculous that the prestige is higher than interstellar.

I'm a huge astrophysics fan, but Interstellar was disappointing.  Relying on wormholes to travel between stars is quite a stretch given that there's no real indication we'd ever be able to use them like a magic portal if they even exist at all.  They're theoretically possible, but there's no evidence they actually exist or that anything could go through them and still be intact on the other side.  But hey, it's sci-fi, and I can easily suspend my disbelief with a wormhole as easily as I suspend it for the Enterprise going warp speed.  But the trailer misled me--it referred to how people are disillusioned with space travel, and it will take something like the possibility of interstellar travel to get them excited about it again.  That sounds AWESOME...except that wormholes are essentially fiction for now, so I don't see how they would get anyone excited about space travel again.  :blush:

The main Rotten Tomatoes score for Nolan films I'd contest is Batman Begins.  That movie is one of the top five superhero films ever made, so I can only assume it was baggage from past Batman films that caused 16% of critics to pan it.  I know I was a bit skeptical going into it and was surprised at how good it was, and it became even better the more I re-watched it so I kind of get why some critics didn't like it at release.

Edited by fantastic_four

You gotta remember that there are "purists" who think Batman shouldn't kill whatsoever, which could be a reason for those "critic" scores (letting Ra's die at the end). I wouldn't put Begins in my Top 5, but it's up there with Man of Steel and Iron Man as far as origin stories, IMO.

As for Interstellar; It's only the end that really bothers me, but I get that they're going with "love transcends our current level of understanding", much like theoretical wormholes. Still, the 5-dimensional tesseract and ability to communicate with the past is just... Too much fantasy even for that movie.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Anyone have one of those super-sized 4K players? Trying to review a movie.

Oppenheimer_Imax.thumb.jpg.ed8597bf0f5257c9840752677c7e8055.jpg

(:

That picture brings back so many memories. A bit of anxiety, but memories.

Hopefully, they spliced it all together in the right order lol 

Edited by awakeintheashes

No way in heck they’d be able to fit any trailers onto that thing. That is barely fitting on that platter. 

I saw a video that I think this was taken from, and I guess they had to build platter extenders just to fit the film. Crazy. 

Edited by awakeintheashes