• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Comic Dealers accept trades ?

18 posts in this topic

Do any comic dealers accept trades and/or in store credit for books? I have one high-grade book that is relatively hard to find in grade, I bought a lower grade copy and want to trade the higher grade copy in for other books.  Do any of the well-known comic dealers on-line accept trades or would they give you in-store credit for your trade??

We get offered trades all the time.  We've encountered several problems with 99% of trade offers in which the book they want is way over valued, a run book no one cares for and they want to get into the hottest book of the week, expect FMV for FMV, want to trade 10 baby books for 1 big book, want to give raw books for graded books.  I'm sure I'll think of more examples but like always cash is king.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, Iceman399 said:

We get offered trades all the time.  We've encountered several problems with 99% of trade offers in which the book they want is way over valued, a run book no one cares for and they want to get into the hottest book of the week, expect FMV for FMV, want to trade 10 baby books for 1 big book, want to give raw books for graded books.  I'm sure I'll think of more examples but like always cash is king.

Agreed.  In general, if we would rather have the book/books offered more than the book/books we're giving up we consider it.  Last show we had a bunch of low value, so so demand books offered for a major key.  It was an instant no.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, thehumantorch said:

Agreed.  In general, if we would rather have the book/books offered more than the book/books we're giving up we consider it.  Last show we had a bunch of low value, so so demand books offered for a major key.  It was an instant no.

Come on Dave you don't want this weeks hot 1:250 variant for your ASM 14 :baiting:.  Hope all is well on the western front

On 9/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Do any comic dealers accept trades and/or in store credit for books? I have one high-grade book that is relatively hard to find in grade, I bought a lower grade copy and want to trade the higher grade copy in for other books.  Do any of the well-known comic dealers on-line accept trades or would they give you in-store credit for your trade??

Almost any dealer will trade for books they need. If it is a high grade copy of a book that is in demand, you should have no trouble trading it.  If it is a common book and the dealer has twenty copies, don't expect much for it.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'd encourage you to post an offer to trade on the Boards.  I think this would go in the "Want to Buy" section and you could suggest what kinds of things you want in trade.  I think you'll get a lot more for your book that way.

MTD's advice is good - remember, dealers stalk those listings too and this doesn't preclude you from approaching dealers directly.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, Iceman399 said:

I don't mind trading one book for several or a slabbed book for raw if the values are attractive, but i find the biggest problem is that all too many folks asking if you accept trade seem to think they are doing you a favor in offering trade instead of cash, and then send you pictures of a bunch of books without prices, hoping you'll do the work of figuring out a trade deal advantageous to them. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Don't waste your time with a trade, you will never win out. Better sell your relatively rare high grade book (myriad of eaay ways to do so) and just use the money to buy the comic you want.