• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Poly bagged comics
1 1

13 posts in this topic

cgc will grade pretty much any comic, whether it comes in a polybag or not, assuming the size dimensions fit within CGC slabs (you can check the CGC website for allowable dimensions). IF it comes in a polybag because of adult/illicit content, you may want to check with CGC customer service directly and ask.

A quick way to check (other than contacting CGC customer service yourself) would be to google whatever the title of your book is with "CGC" and see if any examples pop up on the internet, assuming your book isn't so esoteric that no one in history has ever graded your book before.

good luck

On 10/6/2021 at 10:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They will be removed from the polybag prior to being graded.

It's almost best to remove them yourself, for your own inspection. Some polybagged comics are best pressed prior to grading.

I agree with this.  Better to remove them from the poly yourself.  That way, you eliminate any potential issues with someone at CGC doing it.  Slim chance of that…better safe than sorry.

Oh, and use a razor blade to open the poly if it’s something you’d like to keep…if it has any artwork, etc.  Some collectors like to keep the poly.

Welcome to the boards!! 
:tink:

I was just about to ask this question. I just got a box back from GCG and there are 2 comics that I took out of the poly bag to press before sending. On the top right, it says that the “ comics was removed from poly bag” 

to me it almost seems like a strike against the comic….no?

I wish CGC would clarify stuff like this better.  It is clearly beneficial to carefully open the polybag, inspect the book yourself, and press if necessary before sending in for grading, but this eliminates the poly-bagged line in the label.  CGC really leaves you little choice than to send them the ploy-bagged comics sealed and specifying that you would like them to remove the books for you.  You will have no choice but have CGC press the books for you because if the book leaves CGC's hands, it will lose the poly-bagged heading.  It can really be an expensive gamble.  I sent in a Star Wars #1 for pressing and signing.  They seem to press first unfortunately.  It came back a 9.2 SS, but I could see that the edges of the book were beat up a little bit where the artist clearly was leaning on the book to draw.  They should have had the artwork completed prior to pressing.  The only way to fix this is to resubmit the book to CGC again for pressing.  This way they will open the case to press it and reseal it maintaining your signature status.  This gets very expensive.  And always a gamble to the book.  

On 11/2/2023 at 9:15 PM, Nightmares of Dreams said:

but this eliminates the poly-bagged line in the label.

It absolutely does not. "Poly-bag removed" is a generic issue note for comics that all came poly-bagged. The only reason any specific copy wouldn't have that note is that CGC changed their issue notes at some point.

There may be cases where CGC doesn't note it for the issue just because they're terribly inconsistent or an issue came with both loose and bagged copies and it's either impossible to tell the difference or, again, CGC just sucks at noting things properly.

On 11/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, Nightmares of Dreams said:

I wish CGC would clarify stuff like this better.  It is clearly beneficial to carefully open the polybag, inspect the book yourself, and press if necessary before sending in for grading, but this eliminates the poly-bagged line in the label.  CGC really leaves you little choice than to send them the ploy-bagged comics sealed and specifying that you would like them to remove the books for you.  You will have no choice but have CGC press the books for you because if the book leaves CGC's hands, it will lose the poly-bagged heading.  It can really be an expensive gamble.  

This doesn't seem accurate at all.

On 11/3/2023 at 10:47 PM, Alan Thomas said:

I would not remove them from the polybag it's the only way to prove that it has not been handled by anyone. Would you buy one that has been handled or for the same price one that has not been handled.

It depends on whether on if the polybag obscures any potential defects on the book.  It's worse than trying to grade a book that's bagged and boarded which can hide defects even though it's much clearer than polybags.  If priced the same, I'd prefer one without the polybag.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, Alan Thomas said:

I would not remove them from the polybag it's the only way to prove that it has not been handled by anyone. Would you buy one that has been handled or for the same price one that has not been handled.

I'd buy a a book I can see over one I can't.

Edited by Sigur Ros