• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed please: selling to Mycomicshop or Heritage?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions from members who have sold to both Mycomicshop and Heritage, pros, con's, etc. I have purchased quite a bit from each but never sold anything to them.

I am looking at selling some higher end Marvel keys (Hulk 1, FF 1, ASM 1, etc) now and in the next few years when I retire. It would be nice to get some solid advice from experienced people. Also, auction style or BIN?

Appreciate your thoughts!

On 10/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, Tanner Comics said:

Do you want to sell directly to them or do you want to auction them off through them?

Auction or buy it now through them, not sell directly to them. From reading that thread, so far it seems mycomicshop is the way to go.

I use Heritage all the time and have enjoyed the experience. Their seller interface is really good. I especially like working with Rick Akers @Ricksneatstuff because he's always available and will bend over backwards to ensure that I'm happy. Seriously, talk with Rick directly before you consider any other service.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:57 PM, Markentoth said:

I use Heritage all the time and have enjoyed the experience. Their seller interface is really good. I especially like working with Rick Akers @Ricksneatstuff because he's always available and will bend over backwards to ensure that I'm happy. Seriously, talk with Rick directly before you consider any other service.

I will definitely do that, thank you. 

On 10/3/2021 at 7:57 PM, Markentoth said:

Thanks Sean, that is very kind of you.:foryou:

As a buyer mainly, I would say you should consider the venue based on what books you are trying to sell. If you're selling big keys like you mentioned in your first post, MyComicShop might not be the best place to sell. They are excellent for back issues, but the auction houses can probably bring you a better result. As a buyer I generally look at MyComicShop for smaller purchases and Comiclink/Heritage (and here on the boards is always an option too) for the big books.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, Randall Dowling said:
On 10/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, blazingbob said:

www.highgradecomics.com does consignment also.  I seem to sell a lot of keys also.

Always enjoyed buying books from you, Bob!  (thumbsu

I do as well!

I never use heritage. They aren't taking 30 percent of my money. If you have some show stoppers that percentage can be lowered but the same goes for other outfits that start out at 10 percent. I like comic link auction. My comic shop buy it now. I have even gotten crazy and sold some 5 figure books on ebay. The $250 plus 3 percent was really tempting. Never had any issues, but don't just ship to anyone, do a few minutes of homework on your buyers. I have no loyalties. Whoever will make me the most money. So that being said. I would consider dealers as well. They will buy and sell it for above market at conventions or a buyer they have lined up. They won't pay as much but it will be cash now and no auction or bank fees. If your keys are elite grade then a collector is the way to go. Remember, not many, i don't know anyone who wants to pay tax, fees, or buyers premiums. 

On 10/4/2021 at 1:20 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I never use heritage. They aren't taking 30 percent of my money. If you have some show stoppers that percentage can be lowered but the same goes for other outfits that start out at 10 percent. I like comic link auction. My comic shop buy it now. I have even gotten crazy and sold some 5 figure books on ebay. The $250 plus 3 percent was really tempting. Never had any issues, but don't just ship to anyone, do a few minutes of homework on your buyers. I have no loyalties. Whoever will make me the most money. So that being said. I would consider dealers as well. They will buy and sell it for above market at conventions or a buyer they have lined up. They won't pay as much but it will be cash now and no auction or bank fees. If your keys are elite grade then a collector is the way to go. Remember, not many, i don't know anyone who wants to pay tax, fees, or buyers premiums. 

A couple of questions and or statements to this:

1. 30%? Their fee table shows 10% or less; what am I missing?

2. I have definitely considered the ebay route and I have excellent feedback, but for that kind of money I'm afraid of a buyer scam (never received it, gets refunded)

On 10/4/2021 at 6:21 AM, Badlands said:

A couple of questions and or statements to this:

1. 30%? Their fee table shows 10% or less; what am I missing?

2. I have definitely considered the ebay route and I have excellent feedback, but for that kind of money I'm afraid of a buyer scam (never received it, gets refunded)

1.  Their nearly 20% Buyer's Premium?  

2.  Agreed.  I don't think I would ever be willing to use Ebay to sell an expensive book.  They make it too easy for scammers.

I feel like Heritage will realize more on big books than MCS.  Comiclink and Comic connect are also viable options.  I would call them all to negotiate fees and talk through the process. 

If you don't want to go the auction route, @blazingboband highgradecomics.com does sell a tremendous amount of big books at market competitive prices. I have notifications set up for all the big books and I'm amazed at how many he sells and how quickly they sell. 

Going that route does simplify the process and you'll have a set price your comfortable with, instead of risking a bad night at auction.