Show Us Your Examples of Sun Fade
5 5

120 posts in this topic

Loved reading/viewing this thread!  Reminds me of an ice cream parlor I used to go to as a kid where there were windows all around and all the product image posters and ads on the walls and behind the counter had the same effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, marvelmaniac said:

X-Men 106   GD2.0.JPG

 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, grendelbo said:

Anyone want to speculate on the grade impact for color/sun fade?

Of course severity and area of impact plays a role, but has anyone back-engineered CGC's grading and theorized on deductions?

I graded this book and cataloged it as...

"Would be VF 8.0 except for the faded cover, actual grade GD 2.0"

What would CGC say???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 9:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

 

I graded this book and cataloged it as...

"Would be VF 8.0 except for the faded cover, actual grade GD 2.0"

What would CGC say???

I'm not sure I'd go that low.

4.0-ish with moderate+ color fade.

Examples of graded books with color/sun fade are hard to come by. Here's a couple.

Screenshot_20211011-095335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.09d34b550eee73c07f532b7e8dc61cfa.jpg8b53fa96e64d08ef1ce3142bd24bc728.jpg.02456007f65274cc9cf0c237c00d19ce.jpg

I'm thinking a deduction of 3+ grades for the severity of your X-Men copy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, gadzukes said:

OK.... this isn't sun fade, but..... I simply had to post it.

This is on ebay right now.

I'm actually not sure why this is in a green label since it's a manufacturing error (And it seems like the grade is too low).

Pretty cool, I actually wouldn't mind having this, but not for $1000

1.jpeg

Love it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 2:44 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a good one :)

UYqJCjxh.jpg.51ebaa1e6d40c73bdd0c7a9ce61d0bad.jpg 948603040_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5b963efa0590615206a6dcc55a68f03f.jpg

 

On 10/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, gadzukes said:

WOW, what a difference.  The yellow is 100% gone, The red is 95% gone.

 

I'm thinking it was in direct sunlight. That edge chip wasn't there just before I scanned it, so the edges are slightly brittle. I have two other copies, but I keep this because it does look kinda cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'd say that was a printing error, as the yellows are vibrant still. What say others?

Capture.PNG.f0f41c5e2de7d82c9c37f3d312648b59.PNG  Captureb.PNG.4013d29edc77e94093dff6a78cecce26.PNG

 

Well written to describe the color fading - https://www.quora.com/First-magenta-then-yellow-then-cyan-last-Why-do-dyes-that-are-exposed-to-sunlight-always-fade-in-that-order

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 2:42 AM, MR SigS said:

 

I'm thinking it was in direct sunlight. That edge chip wasn't there just before I scanned it, so the edges are slightly brittle. I have two other copies, but I keep this because it does look kinda cool.

I love it. The comic is effectively damaged, but I love the resulting affect on some sun faded copies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 2:56 AM, JollyComics said:

Thanks Jolly!

I now also know why most strongmen have big bellies, rather than "six packs" :bigsmile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 12:17 PM, Garystar said:

I’m responsible for this one, bought as NM many years ago. I’m a Laurel & Hardy fan and have had this on display for years, you can see the dividing red line where it has been partially tucked behind something else. 
05A839CC-36AC-4E34-9602-6E14CA5A6497.thumb.jpeg.77e50aeb730f883524170369f63b1d16.jpeg

 1901896884_LAHIdiot.gif.3969b8c244267d78bc86dd4183deb519.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, gadzukes said:

OK.... this isn't sun fade, but..... I simply had to post it.

This is on ebay right now.

I'm actually not sure why this is in a green label since it's a manufacturing error (And it seems like the grade is too low).

Pretty cool, I actually wouldn't mind having this, but not for $1000

1.jpeg

That's cool, but not $1000 cool. $100 and I would probably consider it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'd say that was a printing error, as the yellows are vibrant still. What say others?

Capture.PNG.f0f41c5e2de7d82c9c37f3d312648b59.PNG  Captureb.PNG.4013d29edc77e94093dff6a78cecce26.PNG

 

Agreed.  Sun fade hits the heavy metal colors, yellow and red, the hardest.  This looks more like a problem with the blue plate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5