• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board Error Messages and Outages
5 5

101 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here you go:

What's really freaking me out is that the second you posted this, it was a link to a thread here on the boards.  I refreshed and it changed into a link to their facebook page.  Now it's back to linking here.  :eek:

On 10/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, Randall Dowling said:

What's really freaking me out is that the second you posted this, it was a link to a thread here on the boards.  I refreshed and it changed into a link to their facebook page.  Now it's back to linking here.  :eek:

It's a worry. I keep getting subliminal messages flashing up. I can't be sure, but I think they're saying "Stop worrying about this forum you fool, and go and get a life"

Wow.  This is pretty bad.  You can no longer search for older threads on the boards anymore with google.  If it produces any results, doing so links to an error page.  But many searches are just coming back without results.

A great deal of the value of these boards was the immense knowledge base contained in all of the threads.  Including warnings of bad actors in the comic world.  If this is the way it is from now on, it's a substantial loss in value.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:35 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Wow.  This is pretty bad.  You can no longer search for older threads on the boards anymore with google.  If it produces any results, doing so links to an error page.  But many searches are just coming back without results.

A great deal of the value of these boards was the immense knowledge base contained in all of the threads.  Including warnings of bad actors in the comic world.  If this is the way it is from now on, it's a substantial loss in value.

They put a stop to google searches a while ago. 

It’s an exercise in futility trying to find something now :censored:

On 10/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 10/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, Randall Dowling said:

They put a stop to google searches a while ago. 

It’s an exercise in futility trying to find something now :censored:

Try using bing.com and itll work (thumbsu

On 10/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Just tried.  Nothing there either.

Ah man do you think its because the boards got a new url? That, ah now I'm realizing the magnitude of your post :(

Bing used to work when Google didnt, but with a "a new url" idk if you include boards.cgccomics.com in the search or the old cgccomics.com 

Technically since they both have cgccomics.com in it, the search should still work

I'll give it a shot

Well, thank God I have more than one browser on my laptop.  I was finally able to use Firefox to access the Chat Boards and find out about the new URL.  In addition, I was "logged in" when the system crashed (or whatever we're calling this) and had to sign out and back in to actually see my account, messages, etc.  I've only been around here for a short while, and this is the third major outage - i.e. lasting for days.  Yikes - I sure hope it's the last.  Good to be back.

@Randall Dowling

I'm glad I bookmarked my con threads, when I could use bing for search, but now due to the new url, I probably can't even use the bookmarks 

As this search doesnt bring them up either :(

Screenshot_20211021-192150_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, thank God I have more than one browser on my laptop.  I was finally able to use Firefox to access the Chat Boards and find out about the new URL.  In addition, I was "logged in" when the system crashed (or whatever we're calling this) and had to sign out and back in to actually see my account, messages, etc.  I've only been around here for a short while, and this is the third major outage - i.e. lasting for days.  Yikes - I sure hope it's the last.  Good to be back.

I'm sure bookmarks and everything will come back around, just with the long situation it doesnt feel as though itll be close to soon Haha

Welcome back :)

On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah man do you think its because the boards got a new url? That, ah now I'm realizing the magnitude of your post :(

Bing used to work when Google didnt, but with a "a new url" idk if you include boards.cgccomics.com in the search or the old cgccomics.com 

Technically since they both have cgccomics.com in it, the search should still work

I'll give it a shot

Yes.  And I'm beginning to think it's a feature, not a bug.  Try searching for any number of threads that called attention to some of the grading issues over the last 15 years.  

Best of luck.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I said the same in one of the threads covering this. A banner message is possible - they did one for the Journals migration. 

Bottom line, CGC staff may care passionately about this forum. They may open a vein when it doesn't work and gnash their teeth behind the scenes. But if they never tell us, never show it, and generally go out of their way to promote the exact polar opposite position - namely that they don't give one toss - what do they expect us all to think?

We're not mind readers. 

I can't even read my own mind

On 10/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure bookmarks and everything will come back around, just with the long situation it doesnt feel as though itll be close to soon Haha

Welcome back :)

It was worrying because I owe people money and they are probably starting to wonder why their invoices haven't been responded to. :)

On 10/21/2021 at 8:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It was worrying because I owe people money and they are probably starting to wonder why their invoices haven't been responded to. :)

Ah ya that would be pressure for sure! :tonofbricks: