• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

He Read All 27,000 Marvel Comic Books and Lived to Tell the Tale

63 posts in this topic

It’s impressive, as there’s a lot of rubbish to work through as well as the classics. He must have paced himself well with a sensible number to read in one sitting, as he survived the experience without going Flaming Carrot insane. That would require all 27,000 in six sittings, according to Bob Burden’s estimate.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He lied.

Possibly. His boasting suggests that.  I could imagine my EEG flatlining if I kept overdosing on substandard drek.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/12/2021 at 7:46 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Possibly. I could imagine my EEG flatlining if I overdosed on substandard drek.

I can't read the article, but it has the same exact headline as one written last year. If this is the guy that lost his job (or equivalent) and allegedly read every Marvel comic, someone confronted him with the math and logistics and he admitted to lying.

Not every Marvel comic is available digitally, and it would be too time-consuming and cost-prohibitive to acquire the others while reading 18 hours/day with no breaks of any sort, at least in the timeline the person provided.

If this happens to be a different person (I'm not paying to read the article), then the identical title has fooled me.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:51 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't read the article, but it has the same exact headline as one written last year. If this is the guy that lost his job (or equivalent) and allegedly read every Marvel comic, someone confronted him with the math and logistics and he admitted to lying.

Not every Marvel comic is available digitally, and it would be too time-consuming and cost-prohibitive to acquire the others while reading 18 hours/day with no breaks of any sort, at least in the timeline the person provided.

If this happens to be a different person (I'm not paying to read the article), then the identical title has fooled me.

I am being a bit flippant in my posts, but underpinning that are doubts about its feasibility.

Which brings me to this clip, and the need to substitute Shatner's last words with a reference to comic books instead of the classic Trek show.  But I am slightly intrigued that he sees FF51 as an important benchmark in what Stan and Jack were trying to accomplish. 

FF51.JPG

On 10/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Which brings me to this clip, and the need to substitute Shatner's last words with a reference to comic books instead of the classic Trek show.  But I am slightly intrigued that he sees FF51 as an important benchmark in what Stan and Jack were trying to accomplish. 

FF51.JPG

Thank you for posting the Shatner SNL skit.

I didn't know this existed. 

Now I've rewatched it on youtube half a dozen times. This will be hard to beat as the best part of my day today lol

On 10/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, shadroch said:

I used to routinely read twenty-thirty comics in a day. Half a day,really.  I'm pretty sure I've read almost every Marvel Superhero comic from FF 1 to sometime in the late 1980s.  There might be a Strange Tales or two I missed but other than that I'm fairly confident I read the entire hero line.

Not every Marvel comic, but every Marvel super-hero comic.

Yup. It will take a lot to impress a True Believer like you.

Using a phrase such as ‘lived to tell’ would be more credible with anecdotes about drek such as …

’I binged the first 50 issues of X-Force Volume 1 in a day.  The art was passable, here and there, but the stories crushed me.’

In the early 70s, there weren't more than twenty or so Marvel hero books a month so many people read every issue. Even in the mid-80s, there weren't more than fifty a month so I think many people still read them all. I had several people who had standing orders for every Marvel comic as they came out.  It wasn't until I sold my second store and had to pay for my books that I started cutting down. 

I remember having a $1,000 budget for new comics my first month and trying to stretch it to cover the whole month. By the late 80s, that was my weekly bill.

Edited by shadroch

On 10/12/2021 at 4:46 AM, Ken Aldred said:
On 10/12/2021 at 4:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He lied.

Possibly. His boasting suggests that.  I could imagine my EEG flatlining if I kept overdosing on substandard drek.

If his includes Sgt Fury, I call BS as well. Ain't nobody can survive that. :sumo: