• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

He Read All 27,000 Marvel Comic Books and Lived to Tell the Tale

63 posts in this topic

You should read it.  It’s quite amusing in places, such as when Master of Kung Fu is described as a lesser-known ‘deep cut’.  Not close, even before the film. Highly-regarded Bronze Age. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/13/2021 at 1:00 PM, Ken Aldred said:

You should read it.  It’s quite amusing in places, such as when Master of Kung Fu is described as a lesser-known ‘deep cut’.  Not close, even before the film. Highly-regarded Bronze Age. 

If you mean the actual book and not this article, ya it does look like it'd be worth taking a look despite it all.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:40 PM, speedcake said:

If you mean the actual book and not this article, ya it does look like it'd be worth taking a look despite it all.

Yup. Hiding underneath the terribly written article, especially the laughably hyperbolic introduction, the actual book itself does look promising.

On 10/12/2021 at 7:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not every Marvel comic is available digitally, and it would be too time-consuming and cost-prohibitive to acquire the others while reading 18 hours/day with no breaks of any sort, at least in the timeline the person provided.

Yes, every Marvel comic IS avaialable digitally.  Just not necessarily by conventional commercial avenues.  But there are "digital preservation" projects out there that have sucessfully digitized just about everything Timely/Atlas/Marvel has published, and certainly everything since 1961.

And even at a clip of say, 20 books a day, every day, it would take 3.7 years to get through 27,000 comics.  That's not an insane hurdle.

Edited by RonS2112

On 10/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, RonS2112 said:

Yes, every Marvel comic IS avaialable digitally.  Just not necessarily by conventional commercial avenues.  But there are "digital preservation" projects out there that have sucessfully digitized just about everything Timely/Atlas/Marvel has published, and certainly everything since 1961.

And even at a clip of say, 20 books a day, every day, it would take 3.7 years to get through 27,000 comics.  That's not an insane hurdle.

It's mildly insane

‘I read all 27,000 Marvel comics and Lived to Tell the Tale’ doesn’t sound like a statement made by a true Marvel Zombie.

More likely would be…

’I read all 27,000 Marvel comics, and now my life is complete.’

No other mountains to climb that could possibly measure up. Game over.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Wolverinex said:

I would be more impressed if the bots wrote that he read the entire Image line.  A lot of that stuff is unreadable

I did a complete read of Youngblood a few years ago. Every Youngblood title, and there's been a LOT. Most were garbage, with the only worthwhile series being the latest (which happened to be very good). If I had to write a book on my experiences it'd be repeated all over my walls. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, Wolverinex said:

I would be more impressed if the bots wrote that he read the entire Image line.  A lot of that stuff is unreadable

90s Image.  Most of it.

Modern Image - a great imprint with many excellent titles.

Reviving this old thread to say I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, and can offer a few comments:

- The author's claim of reading "every" Marvel comes with the caveat he is only talking about the shared super-hero universe from FF#1 up until 2017.  So he gets to exclude all the Conan and other REH series, as well as anything Star Wars and most of the war, western and romance output.  Epic, New Universe, Star series are out of scope. But due to crossovers with the Marvel "616" characters, he does include things like Micronauts and the Ultimate line.

- I'm finding it a fascinating read, and think many on here would enjoy it as I have.  Wolk's discussion of the Silver Age storylines will be fairly old news to most of us, but he then traces threads from those beginnings to subsequent Marvel events of the 21st century that I suspect many of us here have not been paying attention to. 

- One Silver Age insight he had that was new to me was his identification of the issues on the stands in March 1965 as something of a turning point. There were plenty of crossovers prior to that date, but as of March 1965 the reader becomes aware of actually reading a single story of various characters who could appear in any of the several then-published Marvel Comics.  Wolk's prime example is X-Men villains quitting Magneto's group in one week and then joining the Avengers as heroes in the next week.  And one of the vacancies created in the Avengers is because of a Thor storyline launched that same month in Journey Into Mystery.  And that month's JIM story is itself a bridge between the most recent Daredevil issue and that month's Fantastic Four #39.  :D

Edited by Zonker
sp

On 10/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, RonS2112 said:

I finished All of the Marvels today, and the author actually began reading Marvel Comics at age 10, and has more-or-less been reading comics ever since.  He might have re-read some of them for this project, but he certainly didn't need to keep up the pace of 20 books a day for 3.7 years, given his early start.  :foryou: