• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They got the color wrong
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have those thoughts that the color on a book or a cover was just... wrong?

Like, they had to make a decision, and then, they got it wrong/

I like Uncanny X-Men 142's cover a LOT. I even liked the story how, apparently, John Byrne drew 142, mailed it to Terry Austin, and it never arrived.

So in a pinch, Terry Austin enlarged a panel from the 142 issue and recreated it for the cover. Brilliant.

But then for the final piece, they chose this awful green color. Why?

I think it would have been immensely more impactful if they switched it out... to a red?

Anything other than that green!

Does anyone else really feel this too on other books where they just got the color wrong?

x-men 142 adjusted.JPG

I'm losing that steel trap of a memory I once had, but I seem to recall a Daredevil cover with a skeleton on horseback. That was kinda cool, but the liberal use of the color pink on the cover sucked big time.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, D2 said:

Does anyone else have those thoughts that the color on a book or a cover was just... wrong?

Like, they had to make a decision, and then, they got it wrong/

I like Uncanny X-Men 142's cover a LOT. I even liked the story how, apparently, John Byrne drew 142, mailed it to Terry Austin, and it never arrived.

So in a pinch, Terry Austin enlarged a panel from the 142 issue and recreated it for the cover. Brilliant.

But then for the final piece, they chose this awful green color. Why?

I think it would have been immensely more impactful if they switched it out... to a red?

Anything other than that green!

Does anyone else really feel this too on other books where they just got the color wrong?

x-men 142 adjusted.JPG

yeah green was a poor choice.  Read a book on color theory and it said for broadway plays they found red posters sold the most tickets and green the least.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Amazeron said:

I do agree that the red looks better; it fits the intensity of an issue where “everybody dies”

Red? That looks like pooh brown.

The biggest mistake they make coloring covers is they use too many colors.  This looks childish.  Again the color theory book said to use as limited a palette as possible and avoid using both warm and cool colors.  Warm or cool-one or the other.  Some of the most striking covers are single color or mostly single color.  You give a kid crayons and a coloring book and they use all the colors.  Professional artists/colorists should do better than that.

17-1.jpg

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_50.jpg

In the ASM 50 it would have been even better if parker was wearing purple instead of blue.  Purple can be either warm or cool depending on the surrounding colors.

Yellowish Green and Magenta are complementary colors. They probably went with that as that was probably the design theory at the time. The Red in the title and Green also go together. (Color theory has greatly changed since then.)

X-Men142.jpg

I DO notice that when I'm rifling through a long box of Silver Surfers... I can pull these out instantly by seeing the merest sliver of their top cover. :smile:

(They have a distinctive green background. :gossip: )

SS34.jpg

SS44.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, sckao said:

Yellowish Green and Magenta are complementary colors. They probably went with that as that was probably the design theory at the time. The Red in the title and Green also go together. (Color theory has greatly changed since then.)

X-Men142.jpg

Looks good to me. The colors all compliment each other. The red cover above is just way to much red.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:03 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Looks good to me. The colors all compliment each other. The red cover above is just way to much red.

Hmmm...I think ruined buildings or a even a night sky would have been better. 

My point of contention is the childish caption.

"The End..."  would have encapsulated things perfectly.

Edited by World Devourer

On an episode of Cartoonist Kayfabe they talked about and showed a modern book that had been colored wrong because the guy who colored it used the wrong color scale.  I think he may have been used to coloring for another publisher or used an old scale that the publisher no longer used.  I can't remember.  All of the colors were shifted to crazy random values.  The craziest part is that it got published.  Maybe the editor just thought the colorist was going for something odd and different.

I am in the jungle and don't have my notes.  I wrote that one down because the colors are insane and it is a cheap book.  I want it.  I'll dig up my notes when I come back to the world.