• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Marvel Comics 1 CGC 9.0 161K???

172 posts in this topic

High end GA is overpriced across the board in the Guide and has priced out any chance of new blood coming in. It's that simple. Many of the collectors with the best GA collections will themselves not pay six figure cash amounts for books, so if they're not buying at the high end, then prices will stagnate or decline until the pool of potential buyers is enlarged and new collectors can be enticed into the market.

Plus, wasn't this the copy that was originally purchased as a 8.5 for $126,500 so confused-smiley-013.gif

If you can, provide the old and new SNs to comicwiz for the database of books that have been resubbed and upgraded.

Resub or not, I'd take this book at 63% of guide all day long. $161k is even almost $40k below 8.5 guide value! I'm probably not impartial since I'm the book's new owner. But I was thrilled when I found out what I'd won it for! Besides this book was in Parrino's collection. No worries about trimming etc.. and I compared the scans of the 8.5 and 9.0 for hours before placing my bid. Just a book that CGC felt deserved a 9.0. Nothing was done to the book to raise the grade that I can see.

Resub or not, I'd take this book at 63% of guide all day long. $161k is even almost $40k below 8.5 guide value! I'm probably not impartial since I'm the book's new owner. But I was thrilled when I found out what I'd won it for! Besides this book was in Parrino's collection. No worries about trimming etc.. and I compared the scans of the 8.5 and 9.0 for hours before placing my bid. Just a book that CGC felt deserved a 9.0. Nothing was done to the book to raise the grade that I can see.

A big congrats. thumbsup2.gif

Just another example that illustrates that November copies (2nd printing) of Marvel #1 aren't worth the price in listed Overstreet.

The price in guide may be accurate for October copies and SHOULD have a seperate listing for November copies that are at least 50% lower.

And that is coming from someone who has had lots of November copies.

Steve

Thanks! The funny thing is, I called Parrino when I found out he was selling his collection before this book was consigned to Heritage. I was prepared to offer him higher than the book ended for (plus by making a direct sale there would've been no buyer's premium) but when I asked if he had any comics left for sale he said no and blew me off. I guess he didn't take me serious.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Worked out well for me though, and he had such an impressive comic collection and has such an impressive coin collection he probably won't even notice this book is missing smile.gif

Just another example that illustrates that November copies (2nd printing) of Marvel #1 aren't worth the price in listed Overstreet.

The price in guide may be accurate for October copies and SHOULD have a seperate listing for November copies that are at least 50% lower.

Steve

I disagree. I think the price here simply shows that there are just too many high dollar books coming to market right now for everyone to absorb. (Did anyone catch what that More fun 53 Mile High sold for? $23k or so less than the More fun 53 Rockford in the same grade sold for a few months ago)

Steve, Metro has a great inventory and I browse the site alot but I've never seen you guys offer a November copy of Marvel 1 at half guide 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have personally sold 4 November copies of Marvel Comics 1 in the last 2 1/2 years and never been forced to sell one for anywhere close to only half guide confused-smiley-013.gif

Resub or not, I'd take this book at 63% of guide all day long. $161k is even almost $40k below 8.5 guide value! I'm probably not impartial since I'm the book's new owner. But I was thrilled when I found out what I'd won it for!

Congrats! It's great to see when people walk the talk. You felt it was a good deal and went for it, which is great. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Steve

First off Filter, fantastic pick up. 893applaud-thumb.gif Steve I agree with you on what your are saying about the October copies. I know the Cage copy is the highest slabbed copy but are you aware of other big collectors (Geppi, etc) that have better raw copies and if so what is the estimated best grade of the Ocotber version out there?

Also, I think its hard to say that this book is selling where it should because I'm pretty sure if Parino tried to sell the book for $200,000 before sending it to Heritage it probably would have sold. The market is just too flooded right now with high grade GA books and I don't think this latest trimming fiasco has done much to help prices for big ticket books such as this either.

Congradulations filter!....

I think the market has a resistence level when a book approaches the 200k range

Even for the big guys.I was only going to 150k on this book.And I am a d.c guy but this is the one and only Marvel i ever loved.Beautiful cover!

gOOD LUCK!

Thanks! The funny thing is, I called Parrino when I found out he was selling his collection before this book was consigned to Heritage. I was prepared to offer him higher than the book ended for (plus by making a direct sale there would've been no buyer's premium) but when I asked if he had any comics left for sale he said no and blew me off. I guess he didn't take me serious.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Worked out well for me though, and he had such an impressive comic collection and has such an impressive coin collection he probably won't even notice this book is missing smile.gif

Is the 81 in your name for your birthday? Are you 24? 893whatthe.gif

Insane pickup by the way. hail.gifhail.gif