• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Marvel Comics 1 CGC 9.0 161K???

172 posts in this topic

I don't think this latest trimming fiasco has done much to help prices for big ticket books such as this either.

Based upon the prices paid for HG GA and SA DC, I`d say that the trimming fiasco has had ZERO impact. Seriously, of all the people on these boards who`ve been saying that they`re now stepping back as a result of all the doubts and such, how many of them ever paid $10K or more for a book?

I don't think this latest trimming fiasco has done much to help prices for big ticket books such as this either.

Based upon the prices paid for HG GA and SA DC, I`d say that the trimming fiasco has had ZERO impact. Seriously, of all the people on these boards who`ve been saying that they`re now stepping back as a result of all the doubts and such, how many of them ever paid $10K or more for a book?

Filter said it himself that he was nervous as hell before bidding. I think a lot of the books you mentioned have been held untouched by Parino for a number of years so that would add some comfort. I guess I shold have said that the Ewart fiasco has caused some hesitation. This book was way below guide after all-for more reasons than one.

okay, I uses another browser and see the areas he questions. The upper right corner is a darker blue and looks like color touch. And the bottom staple are appears to have blue ON the staple. So whne you get the book you will be best able to see the staple area and see whats going on. To me, the blue on the staple isnt actually ON the staple. I dont think we can SEE the staple in in the scan... its recessed into the book. The blue they talk about is on the paper on the back cover side of the staple but is more art area of the cover image.

The color touch corner though either IS color touch, or, soiled a bit (see how down the spine the outer right edge is the same darker blue tone) or a function of the lousy print job this book underwent - - totally out of register and badly stripped (the guy's head is made out of greytone with NO color backed up. His clothes are a good black/cyan combo though. Also the botton left of the cover is IN register... and the rest is far out of whack. This doesnt happen on press. It was badly and cheaply color stripped in prep by drunken poorly paid help who dodnt notice when their overlay had slipped or some other simple sloppiness.

Hammer overreaches often. For every problem he locates, he posts another 2 or 3 near misses or inconclusives. In this case, I dont see how CGC would miss the corner...its too obvious. And I think the staple ink issue is what I said above.

I agree, I looked through his long thread and several of the trim jobs were definitely different books, but he was spot on with others. You need to look long and hard at what he shows. Definitely a worth while read and it illustrates the Ewert is not the only person pulling some "stuff" behind the scenes. And it illustrates that it is not just the bronze and silver 9.x stuff. All of this has definitely made me very nervous about buying anything right now.

I have paid over 10k before and I am also taking a step back. hi.gif

I don't blame you I can't see the book being worth even 100k if it has any color touch.

Hammer can argue that the book was color touched and perhaps he's correct. I have no clue so I can't take either side of the debate.

From my point of view (assuming it's not color touched) I am concerned about the proper grade for this book?

VF/NM, VF+, other? CGC clearly can affect the final price of a book simply by giving the book a grading nudge. This has always been my biggest concern with buying books with very,very high price tags and the major reason I've shied away. The hobby's prices are built on confidence.

Now we are starting to discuss whether buyers of high price comics have to be concerned about the grade as well as restoration? In a bull market it doesn't matter.

All mistakes will be bailed out. How many books have we seen that are consistantly being regraded higher and higher? Obviously we are only talking about a relatively few books that pass through CGC. However, we are talking about the method some submitters are using to turn big profits with a limited amount of effort.

My original idea was that a book discovered to be regraded should have every grade given marked on the label. Without that, We are witnessing a bit of deception again. Once again it's buyer beware.

Hammer can argue that the book was color touched and perhaps he's correct. I have no clue so I can't take either side of the debate.

Hammer's argument is all about agendas and taking advantage of the current level of paranoia that's pervading our boards. Until there's proof, ignore him.

From my point of view (assuming it's not color touched) I am concerned about the proper grade for this book

My original idea was that a book discovered to be regraded should have every grade given marked on the label. Without that, We are witnessing a bit of deception again. Once again it's buyer beware.