• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Marvel Comics 1 CGC 9.0 161K???

172 posts in this topic

Isn't that how it usually is. You should ask how much was paid for the MH copy way back when

The answer to this question is well over 200k in the mid 1990s.

It sits on the cgc census today as an 8.0

I know. Beschara paid an unseemly sum, in monthly installments yrt, and actually paid it off. And it was still restored then too!

Hammer can argue that the book was color touched and perhaps he's correct. I have no clue so I can't take either side of the debate.

Hammer's argument is all about agendas and taking advantage of the current level of paranoia that's pervading our boards. Until there's proof, ignore him.

The problem with this particular scenario is, of course, how does one prove whether this Marvel #1 has color touch on it or not? If Filter even decided there was merit to the case, where does he send it? Back to CGC? If they (more than likely) say, "Nope, no color touch there," we're right back to square one; the conspiracy people say CGC is covering this up, the apologists say, "Phew, that was close," and the proof remains elusive.

The other option is to crack the slab and send it off to a restoration expert. But, oops, now the "guarantee" is void and if color touch is found CGC and Heritage will wash their hands of the situation. And then Filter's out $125K.

So what's the answer?

That is all true.It was restored at the time.

It is not one of the pristine mile high books unfortunatly.I think one of the second hand books like the tec 27 was in that collection.

I heard a recent story about him using the book as collateral for something or other.You hear that gossip?

That is all true.It was restored at the time.

It is not one of the pristine mile high books unfortunatly.I think one of the second hand books like the tec 27 was in that collection.

I heard a recent story about him using the book as collateral for something or other.You hear that gossip?

yeah a loan from an official at a bank or something that was in hot water for loaning their cash against collectibles... it was posted here awhile back.

I would be shocked if CGC missed a color touch on a book like this (or even on any book for that matter).

There is a huge difference between detecting most restoration and trimming. Remember, trimming happens to every book. So the key is determining if it was done at the time of printing or much later. Even the best professionals say it is possibly the hardest type of restoration to detect (and I'm excluding pressing as it is impossible to detect at times, and not considered restoration by some).

I wouldn't be that shocked, but then again, I'm a rather cynical person. insane.gif

We know for a fact CGC misses restoration.

You would think CGC would catch restoration on a book of this caliber. You would think there's no way in hell CGC would bump up in grade a $150,000 comic, but guess what? It happens.

Forgive me, but after all that's come out lately, if something looks like color touch (is going to disagree that it doesn't look like color touch?), I'm inclined to go with what I see and not play CGC apologist.

He's got a huge scan of the book to back it up. Nothings really wrong with getting other opinions of the upper corner.

My only point is that in order to get a truly, honest-to-goodness, no-foolin' is it or is it not restored call on the book, one is going to have to break it out of its slab. And once that happens, unless one partakes in an insanely complicated, CSI-worthy chain of custody plan, CGC and Heritage are going to cry foul and balk at refunding any money.

Then Mark Zaid makes some more money, I guess. confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

Hammer crazy in more of a "Silence of the Lambs...You're SHEEP ready for the slaughter." way

KK's in more of a loveable "LOOK how F-ING crazy I can get about OA" way

Yep.

Hammer = Hannibal from "Silence of the Lambs".

KK = The cable guy from "The Cable Guy".

crazy.gif