• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Marvel Comics 1 CGC 9.0 161K???

172 posts in this topic

>However, given the types, or level, of books I purchase I do not typically have that luxury.

>

>I think buying a CGC book is far less riskier than purchasing a raw book sight unseen for a variety of reasons that I presume are so obvious that I need not state them. Buying books off of e-bay or even from some dealers based on a description alone (which we did all the time pre-Internet) or even an image is comparable to a roll of the dice most of the time. I presume this is so self-evident I need not elaborate for this crowd.

---

I could not agree more. As a footnote, my main reason for supporting CGC so strongly is that I used to live in Europe and order books from US dealers through the mail. I, along with all of the European collectors I know, would get ripped off time after time since the dealers knew that we could do very little to get our money back after receiving overgraded and/or blatantly restored books. I've always been aware that CGC has weaknesses and taken my own precautions to address them, but their service is a heck of a lot better than what we were used to. I would not be at all surprised if some of those same sellers who used to cheat me/us now have shill accounts here on the boards. Thanks to Steve and the CGC team, it is now more than 4 years since I last felt cheated buying a comic (from Oregon, btw.). To me, this is a result that speaks for itself.

Yep, the only thing safer than buying slabbed books, is not buying books at all... frown.gif

HOLY MOSES MOTHER OF MERCY....

Is 'Everybody' finally coming around to my reasoning ??????

In les than one year my 'prophecies' have become realized.

Eeery huh ?

KK

In a way............yes. However, the alternative is not to buy OA, but to finally take that trip to the Bahamas. tongue.gif

Yep, the only thing safer than buying slabbed books, is not buying books at all... frown.gif

Eeery huh ?

KK

In a way............yes. However, the alternative is not to buy OA, but to finally take that trip to the Bahamas. tongue.gif

Inaction is always safer than action. It's safer to hide in your house than to drive to work everyday. It's safer to skip the potato salad in the buffet line. It's safer to never have sex again for the rest of your life.

To say that "the only thing safer than buying slabbed books is to buy no books" is to say nothing at all.

I wish CGC would give us a hint as to why a slightly color-touched GA book sometimes garners a universal vs. restored label? For instance, I recently got back a Zago #2 (9.2) copy with very minor color touch on front cover as a PLOD. I agree with this designation, but how and why aren't other GA books treated the same way? Plus, when CGC switches to the all new blue labels, how will they differentiate between the two books. Will my book come back with a "1" restored designation, while the other GA book with slightly less color touch still not be designated as restored (but in a blue label)? I'm just looking for a reasonable explanation on this issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Keep looking. We've asked multiple times for a better understanding of CGCs grading standards and, in particular, where the line is with respect to when a book gets a PLOD and when it will not. To date we've only received bits and pieces of CGC's policies, far short of any explanation.

Yet, many of you are still just as willing to throw massive amounts of cash at these books. That's what continues to baffle me.

Because it still far better and safer than purchasing the book raw, sight unseen. Worst case scenario, which I don't think it is, it is absolutely no different. I don't pay multiples for CGC books simply b/c they are CGC'd. And I view CGC's grading as subjective as everyone else's, though hopefully somewhat more consistent overall.

So, what exactly is the problem in still purchasing CGC books? What is the difference between doing so or instead purchasing from Metro, or Harley Yee, or Mile High, etc., and relying on their opinons of grading or restoration?

I, for one, am buying the book, not the CGC slab. It just so happens many of the books are in CGC slabs. Beyond that, I fail to see what should create a baffling situation, except of course I agree with you with respect to those who buy the CGC slab rather than the book.

Basically, you're saying that CGC is no worse than buying raw from a dealer, so there's no problem with buying CGC graded books? You fail to see what's baffling about this? I fail to see how you sleep at night. I guess I'm never going to be a BSD in the comic world then, because the only things I have spent 6 figures on are the pieces of real estate I own. Regardless of my financial situation, I just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on a comic, because I can't see any avenue that's safe enough for me to do so. If you feel that this market isn't flawed enough to stop you from spending the kind of money you do, then all the more power to you, and good luck! It isn't my money.

Buying from CGC is just the same as buying raw from a dealer, except that CGC is supposed to be 1) impartial and 2) better than the dealer at grading.

That being said, your argument has nothing to do with buying CGC slabs or not buying CGC slabs. frustrated.gifYour argument has to do with spending six figures on a book. If you don't want to spend money on books don't, but don't preach to people who can afford it. Do I want to drop that kind of money on a single book? No. But esquire, and filter, and some others on this board do and can. I can't speak for filter, but I'm pretty sure esquire can afford it.

I don't know if anyone who buys CGC books can honestly say they are buying the book and not the slab. In almost all cases a slabbed copy will be more expensive than a raw copy of the same grade. That's because you're paying for the extra faith, guarantee and consensus of a CGC grade that has, up to this point, resulted in a much more liquid commodity. All the "no returns on CGC books" signs on ebay or on dealer's sites speak to this enhanced liquidity, that we as collectors and part-time dealers have bought into.

Thus, if you buy the slabbed copy, then you're buying (in part) the slab and what that slab is supposed to mean. Therefore, unless you're buying only raw copies I don't think you can truly say you're buying the book for the book itself and not for the enhanced value that a slab adds. And, if you are really buying the book and not the slab, then you should have no problem with breaking all your books out of their respective slabs when you get them, to confirm or refute the given grade. Do you break out all your books? Also, when you buy a book slabbed, you're not able to inspect it yourself. You can't fold back the cover to look for the effects of color touch on the inside spine, you can't smell the pages, and you can't look at the 90% of the book that happens to be between the covers. So, if you're buying a CGC book for the book and not the slab, then I'd say you're buying only 10% of the book (and crossing your fingers that the other 90% is perfect).

I don't usually post on comic book related issues, being mainly a comic art collector these days, but the rise and fall of CGC is an interesting thing to see from the sidelines. CGC will not fall completely, but the honeymoon, as they say, is over. I think we will start to see the gap between raw and slabbed books start to narrow again.

Hari, I can and will only speak for myself on this issue. When I first started buying CGC books I candidly admit I purchased the label as much, if not more, than the book itself. I was just coming back to the hobby after an absence of several years and the CGC experience was completely new to me. I do not any longer buy the slab vs the book nor have I for some time in large part due to what I have learned from the boards and my own experiences over the last 2 years.

Generally I suppose I might agree that a slabbed book goes for more than an unslabbed copy of the same book, but I see that clearly changing, particularly as buyers become more educated. In fact, for many of the books I routinely purchase, such as More Fun Comics, I actually often see the opposite.

I do trust CGC for a variety of its services, though I find it quite strange that the company does not seem willing to trust its own experts and actually provide a guarantee for its work (more on this to follow later). As I've said elsewhere, and often, I have ALWAYS, accepted returns on any CGC books I sell particularly because I do not guarantee their work. I have never bought into, nor understood, the opposite mentality.

I certainly trust CGC to at least be able to tell me whether there is a defect inside the book. I have never once heard or read on these boards that CGC has missed problems from within the book itself, i.e., a tear, coupon missing, etc. And though this is certainly a possibility the odds of this occurring, I would submit, are very, very low and I am definitely willing to assume that risk.

I do not break out my books from their slabs for two specific reasons. First, notwithstanding SCS, the holder provides greater protection for the books than I could otherwise provide through other means short of never handling them. Second, I personally prefer, as a seller, to simply offer a book with CGC's grade and allow my customers to assess the accuracy or lack thereof. Because comics are just a fun side business for me I do not have the time to write up detailed descriptions of each and every book, which is the only way I would ever sell raw books (as is evident from the raw books on my website).

I do, most certainly, miss the smell of GA books which is eliminated, or at least blocked, by the slabbing.

Hi Mark,

I agree with you on almost everything you stated. It's good to hear that you've been seeing raw and cgc prices merging. I do believe that this will happen earlier in the GA market than in the later markets, as you have noted, for a variety of reasons.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about a CGC guarantee.

I disagree, however, that CGC slabs provide greater protection. We don't know this, and have nothing but CGC's word that this is so. In fact, as you have noted, there is damage that we note due to the slabbing process and due to movement within the slab. So, one could argue that for ultra-high grade books you're probably safer in a snug myler with two backing boards. After all, that 40 to 70 year old book somehow stayed in NM condition for 35 to 65 years before CGC even existed, right? smile.gif You know what they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Sure, I believe in progress, but you've got to prove that the new way is better before jumping on it.

I too miss the smell of an old well-preserved comic. Not only is it powerfully nostalgic, but it's always been a vital component of the grading process. Or, atleast it used to be. It's one of the ways to tell paper quality, and really that has a lot more to do with how long a comic will last than how many stress lines the spine has.

Take care,

I wish CGC would give us a hint as to why a slightly color-touched GA book sometimes garners a universal vs. restored label? For instance, I recently got back a Zago #2 (9.2) copy with very minor color touch on front cover as a PLOD. I agree with this designation, but how and why aren't other GA books treated the same way? Plus, when CGC switches to the all new blue labels, how will they differentiate between the two books. Will my book come back with a "1" restored designation, while the other GA book with slightly less color touch still not be designated as restored (but in a blue label)? I'm just looking for a reasonable explanation on this issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Keep looking. We've asked multiple times for a better understanding of CGCs grading standards and, in particular, where the line is with respect to when a book gets a PLOD and when it will not. To date we've only received bits and pieces of CGC's policies, far short of any explanation.

Yet, many of you are still just as willing to throw massive amounts of cash at these books. That's what continues to baffle me.

Because it still far better and safer than purchasing the book raw, sight unseen. Worst case scenario, which I don't think it is, it is absolutely no different. I don't pay multiples for CGC books simply b/c they are CGC'd. And I view CGC's grading as subjective as everyone else's, though hopefully somewhat more consistent overall.

So, what exactly is the problem in still purchasing CGC books? What is the difference between doing so or instead purchasing from Metro, or Harley Yee, or Mile High, etc., and relying on their opinons of grading or restoration?

I, for one, am buying the book, not the CGC slab. It just so happens many of the books are in CGC slabs. Beyond that, I fail to see what should create a baffling situation, except of course I agree with you with respect to those who buy the CGC slab rather than the book.

Basically, you're saying that CGC is no worse than buying raw from a dealer, so there's no problem with buying CGC graded books? You fail to see what's baffling about this? I fail to see how you sleep at night. I guess I'm never going to be a BSD in the comic world then, because the only things I have spent 6 figures on are the pieces of real estate I own. Regardless of my financial situation, I just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on a comic, because I can't see any avenue that's safe enough for me to do so. If you feel that this market isn't flawed enough to stop you from spending the kind of money you do, then all the more power to you, and good luck! It isn't my money.

Buying from CGC is just the same as buying raw from a dealer, except that CGC is supposed to be 1) impartial and 2) better than the dealer at grading.

That being said, your argument has nothing to do with buying CGC slabs or not buying CGC slabs. frustrated.gifYour argument has to do with spending six figures on a book. If you don't want to spend money on books don't, but don't preach to people who can afford it. Do I want to drop that kind of money on a single book? No. But esquire, and filter, and some others on this board do and can. I can't speak for filter, but I'm pretty sure esquire can afford it.

Yeah, my argument got side tracked. I was just wondering how people can justify spending the money they do, when there's so much going on with CGC that we don't know about.

And yes, I think spending 6 figures on a book is excessive considering that there are no safe avenues for buying. Regardless of whether they can "afford" it or not, that's my opinion. Mark didn't seem to get offended, and actually told me to hold one of my general thoughts for later discussion. Sorry if that offended YOU, Mr. Ron Jeremy. I'm not preaching, just discussing.

Yeah, my argument got side tracked. I was just wondering how people can justify spending the money they do, when there's so much going on with CGC that we don't know about.

And yes, I think spending 6 figures on a book is excessive considering that there are no safe avenues for buying. Regardless of whether they can "afford" it or not, that's my opinion. Mark didn't seem to get offended, and actually told me to hold one of my general thoughts for later discussion. Sorry if that offended YOU, Mr. Ron Jeremy. I'm not preaching, just discussing.

No, that's fine, as long as we keep the arguments separate. I wouldn't drop six figures on a single book, but could see it on a big bunch of books.

No, that's fine, as long as we keep the arguments separate. I wouldn't drop six figures on a single book, but could see it on a big bunch of books.

Yeah, same here. I would do it if I found the right collection.....

I disagree, however, that CGC slabs provide greater protection. We don't know this, and have nothing but CGC's word that this is so. In fact, as you have noted, there is damage that we note due to the slabbing process and due to movement within the slab. So, one could argue that for ultra-high grade books you're probably safer in a snug myler with two backing boards. After all, that 40 to 70 year old book somehow stayed in NM condition for 35 to 65 years before CGC even existed, right? smile.gif You know what they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Sure, I believe in progress, but you've got to prove that the new way is better before jumping on it.

I should clarify what I meant by "greater protection" b/c you and I are probably in total agreement.

For one thing, I meant greater protection from ME. In my 30 years of collecting I try hard to forget the many books I have downgraded through my own negligence of allowing, for example, tape from the bag to adhere to the book or nicked a corner when I was replacing the book back into the bag or mylar. I also actually like the fact that for some of my more expensive books I can't take them out of the holder and cause damage. It forces me to buy a cheap reprint to read, and it allows me to still show the books to others without significant risk.

While I have no idea of the long term protection CGC slabs does or does not offer our comics, I don't have to worry about my own negligence short of totally dropping the slab myself which I try not to do often!

Eeery huh ?

KK

Inaction is always safer than action. It's safer to hide in your house than to drive to work everyday. It's safer to skip the potato salad in the buffet line. It's safer to never have sex again for the rest of your life.

To say that "the only thing safer than buying slabbed books is to buy no books" is to say nothing at all.

Relax, it was meant as a joke (hence the tongue.gif).

What I'm basically saying is that even if I become completely discusted with purchasing expensive comic books due to all these scandals, I will divert my funds to the next enjoyable thing (which wouldn't necessarily be original art).

I think KK should realize this scenario before constantly putting down collecting comic books vs. moving on to original art. For most people, that's not the logical progression.

I should clarify what I meant by "greater protection" b/c you and I are probably in total agreement.

For one thing, I meant greater protection from ME. In my 30 years of collecting I try hard to forget the many books I have downgraded through my own negligence of allowing, for example, tape from the bag to adhere to the book or nicked a corner when I was replacing the book back into the bag or mylar. I also actually like the fact that for some of my more expensive books I can't take them out of the holder and cause damage. It forces me to buy a cheap reprint to read, and it allows me to still show the books to others without significant risk.

While I have no idea of the long term protection CGC slabs does or does not offer our comics, I don't have to worry about my own negligence short of totally dropping the slab myself which I try not to do often!

I completely agree with your sentiment. I've personally dropped raw books, had tape pulls, and even had several books in mylar lean on each other (within a long box) and create bends and stress marks on the front issues. On the other hand, I haven't had any personal problems with CGC books once in hand.

Skybolt, I wasn't so much responding to you as to KK. He shouldn't take Banner's comment as any indication that he's swayed us in any way.

Any good comic shops in the Bahamas? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No problem. thumbsup2.gif

I don't know, but I'm willing to find out. smile.gif

Yep, the only thing safer than buying slabbed books, is not buying books at all...

As funny as it sounds, that's where I'm at. I've spent the last twenty years, gambling, speculating, options trading, dealing in arbitrage, day trading, new issue flipping, or whatever game I could play to make a living. I guess I'm going to keep finding new games until I can master my trade. The key to my business is not to take a position unless I believe I have some edge. I rarely play games I'm not proficient at.

I guess my trading mentality has so far kept me from getting too involved in the hobby. I have stepped in slowly with a position that is not particularly meaningful to me. At times I thought about picking up a few very costly books trying to understand the risks. I was willing to deal with many. Recently my awareness of some risks have become unacceptable and my desire to spend real dollars has diminished rapidly. What is my edge? When I complete a trade losses don't bother me for very long. Being stupid does. I review my trades

often to see if I learned anything. I have found that I need to take a small position to better analyze the position. That is where I stand with my comic position. I understand that more frauds occur during bull markets

than bear markets. In bull markets illusions are easier sells. I am not advising anyone what to do but simply relating my current thoughts.

About 15 years ago, a number of traders were sitting in a bar when someone raised his glass in a toast. His words were, "The only thing better than trading and winning was trading and losing". I was perplexed by the toast but hey, everyone is different. I hate losing money from stupidity. I would rather not make a potential winning trade than to berate myself due to my own stupidity.

I would rather play it safe by not buying books at all if I can't evaluate the risks.

It's scary, considering that there are many people whose entire net worth after a lifetime of 9 to 5 will not even come close to how much people pay for these books, which are being bought based on a "guarantee" issued by an extremely flawed grading system. Glad it's not my money.

Trade in your hours for a handful of dimes.

I was sitting in a coffee shop with Marnin Rosenberg a few years back cerca 1998. I asked him , why on god's earth people were paying crazy money of $10,000+++ on comic books when there was so much uncertainty regarding grading consistency and undetected restoration. Why were people throwing "caution to the wind" and handing over bags of money for investment vehicles which were dubious. I always loved his answer. I still remember it like it was yesterday. He says "I guess people really like the genre" Ha !!!

He really said it. I don't know why I think its so funny??? I guess I love the idea of adults jumping off cliffs, making bad investment decisions with the hopes of re-capturing their youths. Its so tragic that its actualy comical. The poetry of life. gotta love it.

KK

Eeery huh ?

KK

I personally love OA and I do indeed collect it.

Given that all these pretty Comic Books originate from OA in the 1st place, I can't think why it would'nt excite all hobbyists.

I would rather spend thousands on OA than slabs, although I also collect Comic Books, but only certain pedigrees.

However I don't see why you cannot derive pleasure from collecting both.

I think there's no reason why the two can't co-exist, but banging on about the merits of OA and only OA seems a bit, well weird to me...with respect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, and if some people prefer the actual Comic Books to the actual OA, fair enough I say.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, and if some people prefer the actual Comic Books to the actual OA, fair enough I say.

Exactly right. I just can't for the life of me get excited about OA. I've tried, but I just have no passion for it.

One of the reasons I love Golden Age is knowing that some kid went to a store or newsstand and paid a dime to be taken away on whatever wild adventures were contained within the comic's pages. Somehow that copy survived all these years, and now I get to own it for a while before I pass it off to someone else.

I know others have a great passion for OA, but KK's insistence that one is better than the other and we should all sell our comics and join his hobby is ridiculous, and increasingly annoying.

Now I'm going to go eat a really big burger. yay.gif

Yep, the only thing safer than buying slabbed books, is not buying books at all...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Really, my point was that if you're gonna do it (spend $$$$+ on comic books), these days, slabbed is the only way to go. If you have no faith in buying a slabbed book due to grading discrepancy or due to possible undisclosed/undiscovered restoration, then you should have even less faith in buying a raw book as you don't have the advantage of "another pair of eyes" looking at the book that you get with a 3rd-party certification company.

I bought several books north of $1k in the pre-CGC days, and felt comfortable enough with my ability to detect restoration to do it. I did end up getting those books slabbed, and they all came back as unrestored, blue labels. I've also plopped down $1k+ on a slabbed book or two since CGC's inception, and at this point I would not buy such an expensive book without it being slabbed (not that there are many $1k+ sales of raw books these days anyway, Dupcak's "cyber-masterpieces" notwithstanding).

Personally, I would never spend $1k on any comic book as an investment, and I have absolutely no interest in actively collecting original art in lieu of collecting comic books (although I wouldn't mind a couple more nice Hulk pages)... screwy.gif