• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things you had to sell (to pay the bills...)

70 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

That’s weird - responses I was making this morning and submitting never appeared 

It happened to me yesterday as well.

Took several tries. I'd hit submit but it would erase what I said, as though it submitted but didn't ever post 

Only happened for five minutes. @Get Marwood & I mentioned there was buffering around the same time but idk

On 10/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, Buzzetta said:

That’s weird - responses I was making this morning and submitting never appeared 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It happened to me yesterday as well.

Took several tries. I'd hit submit but it would erase what I said, as though it submitted but didn't ever post 

Only happened for five minutes. @Get Marwood & I mentioned there was buffering around the same time but idk

There have been a few quirks that I've seen personally and also seen reported by others. I feel like there's a lot of redirecting going on in the background - screens appear and then sort of reappear differently a second later.  Hopefully it will all settle down. I haven't seen any 500 errors yet though, which is encouraging. 

On 10/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. It's hard to find a job where that isn't the case isn't it, although I think I'd feel that way if I was self employed too. 

3177? Is that how many days to retirement? 

I am not self employed. lol Sometimes I think that would be nice.   My brother is self employed though and it seems to be a very unhealthy lifestyle... worse than the hours I keep or the stress we have. 

I lost all faith in one of my bosses when she was screaming (yes, screaming) at one of my coworkers who was eight months pregnant for suggesting something that everyone eventually adopted a year later.   I used to think it was partially me but when I was in the room for that, I realized that some people are just the way they are to be miserable and make others miserable. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am not self employed. lol Sometimes I think that would be nice.   My brother is self employed though and it seems to be a very unhealthy lifestyle... worse than the hours I keep or the stress we have. 

I lost all faith in one of my bosses when she was screaming (yes, screaming) at one of my coworkers who was eight months pregnant for suggesting something that everyone eventually adopted a year later.   I used to think it was partially me but when I was in the room for that, I realized that some people are just the way they are to be miserable and make others miserable. 

Yep. Just been talking to my sister about that very thing - managing the people that seem to exist purely to suck the life out of everything. 

I didn't mean you, by the way, when I said the bit about being self-employed. It was an attempt at self-deprecation.

I sold almost all my original collection to buy a car the summer before college.  I figured I was 17 and outgrowing comics.   I went almost a year without reading a comic , but while heading to Daytona for Spring Break we stopped in a gas station that had a comic rack and I saw an Avengers that had Wonder Man back from the dead, and fighting The Vision. 

Edited by shadroch

i have to sell comics to pay for other comics I already bought. All the time. I'm about to have to do it again. I doubt this is what OP meant when they started the thread :P

I also sold a ton of my collection recently to have money for something I've been wanting to try. it's going ok so far. if it goes bad, I'll just put the money back into comics. 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:06 PM, Darkowl said:

Sold most of my major X-Men keys to buy my house. A part of me will always regret it, but the amount of equity I’ve made in less than a year alone made it completely worth it.

I did the same thing. I sold off most of my GA keys to buy my first house. (Bat #1, Cap #1, More Fun #52, All Star #3,8 etc.) I have never regretted it. I also sold off most all my SA key Marvels to pay for my kid's education. Also don't regret it. 

One thing I still regret to this day. I pawned my coveted Rickenbacker electric guitar to bail a buddy out of jail when I was in college. He swore he would pay the pawn ticket but he skipped town after taking $300. out of my drawer. Up until about 2 years ago, I was a real bad judge of character.