• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE PART 2 from Legendary Pictures (11/17/23)
6 6

332 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2023 at 11:16 PM, Sauce Dog said:

"The fighters" and "The oppressors" 

Nice to get covers featuring both the villains and the villains of the series :D 

If you get far enough into the book series, you realize there are no "good guys" in the story.

Over the weekend I happened upon an unopened steel book of the 1984 Dune Extended Edition DVD. It contains the Theatrical Cut as well.

Screenshot_20231106-0601462.thumb.png.9818e0dcae686cee46b2420e1792b1e7.png

But in addition to watching the Extended Edition for the first time, I learned it is called the 'Alan Smithee Cut' and wanted to know who this was.

Alan Smithee pseudonym

Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) is an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project. Coined in 1968 and used until it was formally discontinued in 2000, it was the sole pseudonym used by members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) when directors, dissatisfied with the final product, proved to the satisfaction of a guild panel that they had not been able to exercise creative control over a film. The director was also required by guild rules not to discuss the circumstances leading to the movie or even to acknowledge being the project's director.

Just as interesting how much David Lynch wanted to distance himself from the film. He made the studio use the pseudonym in place of his actual name.

On 11/6/2023 at 6:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Over the weekend I happened upon an unopened steel book of the 1984 Dune Extended Edition DVD. It contains the Theatrical Cut as well.

Screenshot_20231106-0601462.thumb.png.9818e0dcae686cee46b2420e1792b1e7.png

But in addition to watching the Extended Edition for the first time, I learned it is called the 'Alan Smithee Cut' and wanted to know who this was.

Alan Smithee pseudonym

Just as interesting how much David Lynch wanted to distance himself from the film. He made the studio use the pseudonym in place of his actual name.

I am actually very surprised you were not familiar with Alan Smithee prior to this considering all the movie stuff you post :) 

I started a Smithee collection on my DVD shelf back in college, but I quickly stopped when I realized I would have to buy an a new copy of Bloodlines and Supernova to replace my VHS copies and the money was better spent on other things. The Smithee credit you'll see on lots of TV show episodes (more so than movies).

As for Dune, your next experience has to be the 4 hour cut! 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I am actually very surprised you were not familiar with Alan Smithee prior to this considering all the movie stuff you post :) 

I started a Smithee collection on my DVD shelf back in college, but I quickly stopped when I realized I would have to buy an a new copy of Bloodlines and Supernova to replace my VHS copies and the money was better spent on other things. The Smithee credit you'll see on lots of TV show episodes (more so than movies).

As for Dune, your next experience has to be the 4 hour cut! 

Honestly, I had never heard of this before now.

What, no recommendation for Eric Idle's An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn?

Dune: Part Two is arriving a little sooner than expected. Warner Bros. and Legendary will now debut the film on March 1, 2024. That’s two weeks earlier than its previous date of March 15, 2024.

The move comes after Universal moved Ryan Gosling’s The Fall Guy from March 1 to May 3, creating a gap that theater owners were eager for Dune to fill.

Warners and Legendary are hopeful that the project will be able to attract some of the spring break crowd with the new date. Like Universal’s Oppenheimer, which benefited from playing in premium formats that are pricier for audiences, Dune will be available in a variety of formats including Imax and Imax 70 mm. It will get a two- to three-week run in Imax, and possibly longer depending on the playing field in terms of other films opening after Dune.