• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PM replies disappearing
4 4

45 posts in this topic

Hi guys.  Sent a reply to a boardie's PM last week and yesterday was surprised to notice it wasn't there.  I figured maybe the board had crashed and the pm wasn't sent and I hadn't noticed or forgot to resend it.

Tonight I sent a wrote a reply in a PM and clicked 'submit reply' and it disappeared while I was watching.  I retyped it and clicked 'submit reply' again and it again disappeared.  I phoned the boardie and he did not receive my PMs.  Just tried it again - 3 hours later - and it worked fine.

Has anyone else had PM replies disappearing?

On 10/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hi guys.  Sent a reply to a boardie's PM last week and yesterday was surprised to notice it wasn't there.  I figured maybe the board had crashed and the pm wasn't sent and I hadn't noticed or forgot to resend it.

Tonight I sent a wrote a reply in a PM and clicked 'submit reply' and it disappeared while I was watching.  I retyped it and clicked 'submit reply' again and it again disappeared.  I phoned the boardie and he did not receive my PMs.  Just tried it again - 3 hours later - and it worked fine.

Yes I have and posts too.  I have also seen a post I hid return.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:56 PM, thehumantorch said:

hm  not good

omg wut if other ppl's posts start appearing under your name???  strike city.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:11 PM, thehumantorch said:

:download:

wth I just posted that and it dis-appeared!  Now you got it-

On 10/28/2021 at 4:19 AM, thehumantorch said:

I've seen others mention it Torch.

I have had, and noted from others, a lot of duplicated posts. I sent a pm last night, the screen buffered, and it then landed twice. So I'm guessing that all these glitches - duplication and posts disappearing - are connected to these intermittent periods of buffering / downtime. Most don't notice them as they only last a few minutes, but I noted three periods yesterday where it happened. The 500 errors seem to have gone, and things have improved considerably, but a problem remains. There is still no consistency of performance on this website. 

Agree.  The 500 errors were super annoying and I haven't had one (knock on wood) in a few days at least.  But a lot of vanishing posts/PM's.   For me, it's worse on the phone than it is from a PC.  

On 10/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, chrisco37 said:

Agree.  The 500 errors were super annoying and I haven't had one (knock on wood) in a few days at least.  But a lot of vanishing posts/PM's.   For me, it's worse on the phone than it is from a PC.  

We had a 35 minute outage yesterday, preceded by a few 500 errors, but that thankfully seems to have been a one off since the update a few weeks back. All things are relative of course, and performance is now noticeably better, but if posts are being duplicated and / or vanishing then that could cause problems for those running sales threads. And it's obviously a big annoyance to anyone it happens to, especially if their post took a while to write.

I visit a lot of sites regularly and all have performance issues once every so often. But this site is the only one I visit regularly where the owners can't seem to get a stable ongoing environment in place. The update announcement itself cast doubt on the result, saying it may eliminate or at least improve performance, so I guess there is just something about the activity here that is problematic. Whether it's a technical, money related or a competence issue, the fact remains that we haven't had a sustained period without problems here pretty much all year. 

On 10/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, Ryan. said:

I just tried to send a PM and it disappeared. 

My advice is to take a copy of everything you type, prior to posting, if it would be a big hassle to retype it. If it vanishes, you can at least try again or save it, say, to a word doc. That's a pain, but that's the site at the moment. You can't trust it.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am having issues on this website as well. My biggest concern is loss of community members because I love these forums.

I agree. I want the place to succeed, but there are few things in life more frustrating than battling with unyielding IT. You only do that if you have to, and my worry is that members will finally lose patience, give up and go elsewhere. Who wants to sit and look at a buffering screen all day, or fight a loop trying to log in? It's not once in a while either - it's all the time here.

I've placed this summary in the technical section just now to try to prompt some action:

CGC are employing more staff to manage these types of things, we're told. Let's hope they get here before we've all given up and left :wishluck:

On 10/28/2021 at 7:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

We had a 35 minute outage yesterday, preceded by a few 500 errors, but that thankfully seems to have been a one off since the update a few weeks back. All things are relative of course, and performance is now noticeably better, but if posts are being duplicated and / or vanishing then that could cause problems for those running sales threads. And it's obviously a big annoyance to anyone it happens to, especially if their post took a while to write.

I visit a lot of sites regularly and all have performance issues once every so often. But this site is the only one I visit regularly where the owners can't seem to get a stable ongoing environment in place. The update announcement itself cast doubt on the result, saying it may eliminate or at least improve performance, so I guess there is just something about the activity here that is problematic. Whether it's a technical, money related or a competence issue, the fact remains that we haven't had a sustained period without problems here pretty much all year. 

The lack of overall reliability can be frustrating, especially when I'm trying to do business...