• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLZ Comic App booted By GoCollect
4 4

48 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, Aman619 said:

Clean up one by one?  Say if some text came they misspelled in 100 records, you had to edit each separately?

No, what happened was that they imported those that they could transfer where the book name or numbers matched up exactly correct. Those that did not they sent me back in a spreadsheet as not-imported.

I'll be honest, this sounds like CLZ really needs to rethink how they plan their projects out if they put all their eggs in the basket of a cobbled together API that was made just for them, for free, with no guarantees of service or updates ever. I'm surprised GoCollect even gave that much, let alone kept it active for years. I've had clients who needed a custom API from another venue, and when they did provide a custom solution just to appease the client those features would never been the focus of the project - it's nice they are there, but don't you dare rely on them unless solid contracts and transparency are in place :D

GC not supporting a legacy api on their new platform makes sense, as migrating and maintenance for something that was never meant to be official is costly, and since they are developing a free API anyways I don't see why CLZ won't start using that in the future. 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 11/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I'll be honest, this sounds like CLZ really needs to rethink how they plan their projects out if they put all their eggs in the basket of a cobbled together API that was made just for them, for free, with no guarantees of service or updates ever. I'm surprised GoCollect even gave that much, let alone kept it active for years. I've had clients who needed a custom API from another venue, and when they did provide a custom solution just to appease the client those features would never been the focus of the project - it's nice they are there, but don't you dare rely on them unless solid contracts and transparency are in place :D

GC not supporting a legacy api on their new platform makes sense, as migrating and maintenance for something that was never meant to be official is costly, and since they are developing a free API anyways I don't see why CLZ won't start using that in the future. 

I don't think CLZ is aware of this.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I totally understand your perspective - it makes absolutely no sense for GoCollect to continue supporting a public API that does not offer them a viable ROI. But on the flip-side, I think it was short-sighted for them to even provide an API (let alone to a single client) without a real long-term strategy around it. In my experience, both as a consumer and producer of public APIs (eg. developer.companyname.com), some valid business cases for one are to build brand awareness, foster a developer community with the intent of creating new business opportunities that API-provisioning company lacks resources for, and as the API matures, monetize access to the API. Why would GoCollect not have thought through their API strategy and risk credibility?

Not really short sided, though it definitely was I guess, because both of them were trying to achieve liftoff in new business ventures.  Go collect wanted more web traffic and awareness so it let CLZ ride along.  And CLZ got an extra feature to lure more paid users with functionality for free, or in a to be monetized later deal.  Fellow travelers helping each other out for their own interests.  Until things changed. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Disappointing. I love the CLZ app, but without it syncing with GoCollect, I won't use it as often. 

Go Collect now allows you to load your collection and will send you updates. CLZ is in trouble if they don't come up with something good.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, Kerdese said:

Go Collect now allows you to load your collection and will send you updates. CLZ is in trouble if they don't come up with something good.

does it have an App for portability?

On 11/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, Ares said:

Not that I see, but any smart phone can easily pull up their page. I use my phone for most of my posts on CGC. I bet it won't be long before Go Collect creates one. Apps are pretty easy to set up if you have an establish web site.

On 11/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, Ares said:

Posted by CLZ last week:

Hi all,
Today I can finally give you an update on the upcoming solution for comic values!
As you know, we have found a 3rd party that is willing to work with us to provide comic values for the CLZ comic cataloging tools. We are still having regular meetings with this "so far undisclosed 3rd party" and all is going well. Both parties are very much looking forward to making this happen.
But... we're not there yet!
I have two important updates for you today: the first indication of costs and an updated ETA.

1. COSTS

Instead of a data licensing deal (where CLZ would license the value data from the 3rd party), we have decided to go for a clear and simple “collaboration deal”, where the services of the 2 parties just work together if you have a subscription to *both*.
In other words, to get values in your CLZ app, you will need a *subscription for the 3rd party's service*, at their site, then link that subscription to your CLZ app (probably by copy/pasting a token).
That subscription will cost between $5 and $10 per month, or when paid yearly, between $50 and $100 per year.
Which is similar to the fees of most comic value providers, like GoCollect, CovrPrice, GP Analysis, ComicsPriceGuide, etc...
Of course, that subscription will *also* give you full access to all functionality of that 3rd party's comic value functionality on their site.
For clarity, there will be no extra costs on the CLZ side, but you will need a subscription for the CLZ app or software. Also, once you have that 3rd party subscription to get the values, you can use it in all our comic products: CLZ Comics, Comic Connect and Comic Collector.

2. ETA:

The 3rd party we are working with is currently updating their backend system and developing the API we are going to use. On the CLZ side, we expect to begin implementation in April. Then, if all goes well, we hope to go live "late Q2".
That is about as precise as I can be at the moment, sorry. Also, keep in mind this is our best estimate at this time, not a promise, not a guarantee.
Thank you for your patience!

I did a year subscription with CLZ on Black Friday and have been playing around with importing my collection via CSV file from Comicspriceguide. Definitely a manual process but have figured out how to import a series at a time with only a bit of data manipulation. Hopefully this agreement with the third party will go well and provide some more "real time" values to my collection.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, universal soldier said:

Posted by CLZ last week:

I did a year subscription with CLZ on Black Friday and have been playing around with importing my collection via CSV file from Comicspriceguide. Definitely a manual process but have figured out how to import a series at a time with only a bit of data manipulation. Hopefully this agreement with the third party will go well and provide some more "real time" values to my collection.

It's a great tool. Very well developed and shows a real understanding of what hobbyists want imho. Just needs those values again. 

CLZ announced Friday they will be teaming up with Covrprice to power their values. As a longtime https://comicspriceguide.com/ user, I'm interested to see how the raw values improve. I've been using them for slab values but their raw data is largely incomplete and I'm not convinced of the accuracy.

1. COVRPRICE GIVES YOU VALUES FOR BOTH GRADED AND RAW COMICS!

CovrPrice not only provides values for your graded comics, but they also provide reliable fair market value (FMV) averages for your raw comics!
And... even better news: they are currently upgrading their value system for raw comics, so that they can soon offer more exact raw values based on 7 different estimated grade "buckets". This improved raw value system should be live within a month!

See below for the full Facebook post.

Hi all,
Finally, a news update about the upcoming solution for comic values. And.. this is the BIG one, as we can now reveal WHICH 3rd party we are going to work with.
We are proud and excited to announce that our new partner for comic values is....:

COVRPRICE !!!

Yes, CLZ and COVRPRICE are going to work together, to provide you with the internet's most reliable and up-to-date comic values, right there in your favorite comic cataloging tool!
This also means we can finally answer your most common questions:
  1. Will it only provide values for graded comics or for raw comics too?
  2. What will it cost?
  3. ETA ???

1. COVRPRICE GIVES YOU VALUES FOR BOTH GRADED AND RAW COMICS!

CovrPrice not only provides values for your graded comics, but they also provide reliable fair market value (FMV) averages for your raw comics!
And... even better news: they are currently upgrading their value system for raw comics, so that they can soon offer more exact raw values based on 7 different estimated grade "buckets". This improved raw value system should be live within a month!

2. THE COSTS WILL BE US $6.95 PER MONTH OR US $60 PER YEAR

(see below for a $4 discount code if you want to give it a try)
To get the values in your CLZ software or app, you will need a subscription to the CovrPrice "UNLIMITED" plan, which is US $6.95 per month or, when paid yearly, US $60 per year ($5/month).
Of course, you will only need one COVRPRICE subscription to get values in all your CLZ comic tools (e.g. in CLZ Comics AND Comic Connect). You also need active subscriptions for your CLZ tools, that is, a grandfathered account will not suffice.

3. ETA ????

Well, the good news is: we actually started implementation! Up till now, it has been mostly talking and negotiating. But with the agreement now final and signed, both parties have started implementation!
On the COVRPRICE side, a new senior back-end developer has been hired and their dev team is now working on their new back-end, the new system for raw values and on the API that CLZ will be using.
On the CLZ side, Sven has spent the past few weeks to develop a new CMS tool for linking our Core comic entries to the corresponding COVRPRICE entries. The tool has been able to link up a large part of the database by barcode.
The rest will have to be done manually, as a joint effort by CLZ and COVRPRICE content managers. This will be a huge job, so we hired TWO new CLZ content managers to help us! (CLZ Justin has started today and CLZ Bastiaan will start on July 1)
As for the ETA: we are currently aiming for release in Sept 2022.

** WANNA GIVE COVRPRICE A TRY?
$4 DISCOUNT ON YOUR FIRST MONTH! **

Just use this coupon code: CLZ2022 (expires on July 10th)
Follow the instructions below for the Promo!
1) Go to https://covrprice.com/ and sign up for the Free 10 Day trial, this will make you a BASIC (free) CovrPrice member, then...
2) After you've created a COVRPRICE account, click here for 30 days of Unlimited Membership for only $2.99 (coupon code: CLZ2022)
After 30 days your account will automatically revert to the $6.95/month account.
IMPORTANT: please note that this is a trial of the CovrPrice.com website, so that you can research comics and check out their value system. You will not get values in your CLZ software yet, neither will the CovrPrice.com site automagically list your database.

I have CLZ but don't think I will use the full functionality they are promoting with their promised integration

$2.95 a month is more than enough for whats needed

Do I really need to pay extra for

Hot/Key/Rare/Variant Lists & Weekly ‘Movers & Shakers’ Lists when its available for free Elsewhere.

Collection Management (That's what CLZ does)

Track Collection Values & Trends Once you enter the Data CLZ does it

What are people’s impressions of CovrPrice? 

I love the CLZ app. It’s phenomenal. I was always disappointed in the GoCollect integration… wished I could hide it - the pricing data was always so bad. (FWIW, I think that this was a short-sighted move by GC - CLZ was the only reason many people would’ve seen their data points). 

When CLZ’s Alwin announced that a new partnership was coming, I had everything crossed for it to be @gpanalysis - who, like many of you, I trust and have invested in for years… 

I can’t see myself buying a different membership to integrate with CLZ… I wouldn’t ditch GPA and I don’t see the point in paying for two. But I’m still interested in CovrPrice user’s thoughts/experience. 

"Go Live" date for the CLZ and CovrPrice integration.  Though I debated on whether it was worth a joint subscription (need active subscriptions to both services), I went ahead and gave it a shot.  Update only took a few steps and looks like I'm getting comic values now.  Only thing that's giving me an error is syncing with CLZ Cloud.  Timing out on me thus far and not updating the Core database.  From a values perspective, I assume graded comics are pretty standard based on historical sales and some basic algorithm.  It's the raw books that I'm interested in seeing if values are in the ballpark at all.  As often said, comics are only worth what someone else will pay for them.  But it is rather rewarding to see book values ebb and flow even if only on paper (or in App) :)

On 10/4/2022 at 7:50 AM, CrocHntr said:

From a values perspective, I assume graded comics are pretty standard based on historical sales and some basic algorithm.  

Coincidentally, I subscribed to both already.  CLZ is a nice app, though I hate the effort it takes to add to the qty of an issue (something I do often), and I want the raw pricing Covrprice offers. Most apps don't.  But I can say after one random check, the graded pricing is way off.  One of my MS5's, a 5.0, sells consistently around a grand and a half but the app says $700.   Not sure how consistent this is but definitely don't trust it yet.   Hopefully things get more accurate because I absolutely love seeing the raw values now.