• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did u change from Collector to Flipper?
5 5

175 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 9:47 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It seems to me that the basic premise of the thread is wrong.  One is not mutually exclusive of the other.  As collectors, we're always looking to upgrade or explore other areas of the comic world.  As we do, many of us sell books to raise funds for new additions (not @Hamlet or @oakman29, but the rest of us who are normal).  Similarly, sometimes you just see a good deal and know you can sell it and make money, thus creating more funds for collecting.  What's wrong with that?

Maybe I'm just not a "True Comic Book Collector" (copyright @Mmehdy) but that's the only way I've been able to grow my collection to where it is.  

I'm not personally a fan of people that have no interest in the comics only the ability to make money from them.  I guess those would be pure flippers and not collectors at all.  I doubt there's many of those on these boards though.  You know, the type that will grind somebody down on a book and then turn around and list it for twice what they paid for it.  One of the reasons I like these boards so much is you don't get much or any of that kind of lame behavior.  2c

Totally agree... I'm 41... got burned the first time I collected as a kid in1992. Came  back 11 years ago and had the foresight to buy all keys in the highest grade at lowest prices I could. That philosophy has paid a ton of bills and given me my current collection free of charge. Had I held onto most of what I sold over the last few years, i could have garnered an extra 100k+, but as they say... I'd rather be 1 year early, than 1 hour late. Good luck to the naive... reality is soon at hand...

On 11/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Randall Dowling said:

You know, the type that will grind somebody down on a book and then turn around and list it for twice what they paid for it.  One of the reasons I like these boards so much is you don't get much

lol

On 11/11/2021 at 7:41 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I’ve always felt SOME people that use the term “flipper” use it in a disparaging way towards those who can afford books they can’t.  Whether they’re a “flipper” or not.

I hate LCS owners who feel that flippers are the devil but they are in fact flippers themselves.  Buy low and sell high is basic business and doing it quickly is the name of the game.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, 1Cool said:

I hate LCS owners who feel that flippers are the devil but they are in fact flippers themselves.  Buy low and sell high is basic business and doing it quickly is the name of the game.

One shop near me only hates “flippers” when they are waiting at the front door on Wednesday mornings trying to buy out all of the new stock of a particular issue that supposedly was hot that week.  They don’t allow a select few individuals to buy multiple copies.  I support it.  They want to have enough for their regular customers that can’t make it in first thing in the morning.  

On 11/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

One shop near me only hates “flippers” when they are waiting at the front door on Wednesday mornings trying to buy out all of the new stock of a particular issue that supposedly was hot that week.  They don’t allow a select few individuals to buy multiple copies.  I support it.  They want to have enough for their regular customers that can’t make it in first thing in the morning.  

I've got no problem with LCS owners limited the number of copies a person can buy (especially hot new books) to make sure their regular customers get a chance at a copy.  Totally different then the few guys in my area who lament "flippers" coming in and buying up their back stock when a book catches fire.  They use their knowledge of the market to buy hot books from sellers (ie little old ladies :) ) and jack up the prices to make some profit.  They flip books to keep the lights on so they should understand if somebody is doing the same with their back stock.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:19 PM, KCOComics said:

I tend to agree with this. 

In my mind, flipping is buying books with the intention to sell fairly quickly for a profit.  

Collecting books, holding them for years and then deciding to sell them in order to purchase something else isn't flipping in my mind. That's just collecting. 

How long would you say you have to hold onto the books to change from Flipper to collector

On 11/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ares said:

How long would you say you have to hold onto the books to change from Flipper to collector

I'd say it comes down to intent.  If you intend to put the book into your collection (even for a short time) then I think you can avoid the flipper title.  If you buy the book to pretty much instantly flip it on e-bay then I think the flipper title is a good one.  Some flippers go the grading route or stock pile books (basically investing or speculating at that point) so it may take awhile for the books to get back to market but if you are buying with the sole intent of doing a resale then you a flipper.  You can be a part time flipper and full time collector which I think a bunch of people fall into this designation.

I don't think being called a flipper is all that bad since it is filling a niche and requires quite a bit of knowledge and work so there is a skill to being a flipper.  Are day traders of stocks seen as evil?  It's all part of the market.

Sometimes a great deal falls into your lap, so you resell to roll the profits into a book you want to keep. Is cool

Liquidating some collection to fund a purchase you intend on keeping. Is cool

Being a flipper claiming you’re a collector. Is lame

Being a flipper and claiming you’re an entrepreneur but don’t pay any taxes on the profits. Is lame. 

Being a flipper and running a legit business is called a dealer. Is cool. 

Edited by Spiderphill

I'd say it's more that I incorporated speculation as part of my comics-related activities. While I had/have zero interest in the Young Avengers, it wouldn't have been any trouble to pick up a copy of the first issue back in 2005. I was literally at a comic store the day it was released, but was only buying stuff that I wanted to read (with the occasional cover buy) back then. Nowadays? I couldn't care less about Deadpool and recently picked up Black, White & Blood 4 because it's minimal risk with significant plausible upside. Given how much time I allocate to comics, the least I can do is try to utilize information I've learned where appropriate.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ares said:

Sorry, I tried to reply to this message but my message wouldn't post, so I got frustrated and gave up. 

I do think it's about intent more than time.  I think most of us are collectors. Buying and selling comics with the ultimate goal of building our own collection. 

And honestly, I don't see a problem with flippers either... Taking advantage of people to make a profit is one thing, but I don't believe that's the norm. 

There are some well known sellers on the boards here who unearth great collections and make them available to us. I don't know if we call them flippers, collectors, part time dealers, but I'm really happy we have the opportunity to buy some cool books and I'm totally comfortable with those people making a profit for their work. 

I've always been a wheeler dealer, since I was a kid going to the flea market with my Dad. I sell so I can buy, I buy so I can sell. The circle of collecting life. My issue is with the scorched earth scalpers who try to gobble every copy of ever hot new book up, when they don't care about the medium at all. That's sad, because it's not truly growing or sustaining the hobby. It's short term growth only. We have to plant seeds that lead to new collectors. Grabbing everything for short term top dollar will get some fast money in your pocket, but if new buyers can never find (or afford) the things they're looking for, they're going to get turned off and leave the hobby. 

Comics no. Sportscards, to borrow a term from an earlier post, I could "cannibalize" my cards and go after virtually any comic. But....I'm old. Or older. 52 in Feb. And I'm nostalgic, and my heart is in collecting. Everything I've brought in over the last decade means something to me, more than $ or flipping.  :cloud9: