• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing glue update, opinions?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I got my ASM 13 today, cracked it open to find the "small amount of glue on spine of book."
I didn't see any on the outside, on the inside I found a few patches of old glue that was very easy to remove.
Left behind was small residue (stains?) and I would like to make sure if I send the book back to be graded it won't come back as restored again.
In the photos theres 1 image of the back cover, it seemed slightly glossy but I don't think it's glue. (I'm just making sure it isn't.)
And a before and after photo of where I believe all the glue was.

Thanks.

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

The evidence of past restoration and it's removal are all visible and CGC are able to look for more subtle traces too. They have their methods. The tape residue back cover bottom of spine is obvious. Not sure what you're trying to achieve. Is it a blue label 3.0 you're wanting? Best bet is professional assistance if all traces of residue and glue are to be removed but I don't know what CGC will grade it as when you resub because as said earlier, they can tell what's been done including restoration removal. How that affects grade, and poss more important from your angle, label colour, I don't know. Good luck though and please update us as this is an interesting case.

I suspect that if your strong desire is for a blue label then quite possibly it's better to sell this one to partially fund another copy. It's an old expression now but, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear."

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 11/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, FrontStands said:

I didn't see any on the outside

Don't forget your other senses. Smell, touch, and taste. Can you taste any glue? Kidding. Just focus on touch. The stains you are stuck with as far as I know. Unless you want to throw away good money to give it a bath or spend lots of time trying to learn yourself. But look again. Touch and touch and touch some more. Look again. Different angles, different lighting. You don't want any tears closed with glue. The only thing holding the cover to the book should be the staples. Only thing keeping the book together should be the staples. Look for color touch as well. Unlikely they messed it but do you want to take that chance. 

Thanks for the replies, I do like the thought of selling it raw to fund an already graded copy, but I would be a bit worried of them sending it to CGC and possibly getting a purple label.
I'm fine with the stains, as long as the residue wouldn't be marked as restoration I think all the actual glue is gone, might have to just send it in and see. :bigsmile:

Not to introduce a wild card into it, but these almost look like tear seals to me, where some sort of piece fill (rice paper?) was glued into place. Can’t see another reason for glue in random places along the spine if it isn’t otherwise needed to hold the book together, or why that round whitish spot on the bottom of the page in the final photo would be there.

Edited by Grottu

On 11/8/2021 at 4:54 PM, Grottu said:

Not to introduce a wild card into it, but these almost look like tear seals to me, where some sort of piece fill (rice paper?) was glued into place. Can’t see another reason for glue in randomly along the spine if it isn’t otherwise needed to hold the book together, or why that round whitish spot on the bottom of the page in the final photo would be there.

Well, I know basically nothing about this sort of stuff, but I believe that would've been marked on the CGC label before if it was filling in something maybe? on top of the areas there was darker glue, I did pick off most of it before I decided to take pictures.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:57 PM, FrontStands said:

Well, I know basically nothing about this sort of stuff, but I believe that would've been marked on the CGC label before if it was filling in something maybe? on top of the areas there was darker glue, I did pick off most of it before I decided to take pictures.

You’re probably correct, and it’s hard to tell from just a photo. The advice above to feel the surface texture is smart.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, FrontStands said:

Theres currently nothing stuck together or holding anything together, think residue will give it purple label? 

The residue will still be viewed as resto, most likely because of where it’s located as opposed to it being seen as a random stain in an area where a tear seal wouldn’t be necessary imo

KInd of begs the question, but if you removed the glue, and it wasn't holding anything together, what was the glue even for?  I suspect there is something else going on with this book other than that someone just put some completely unnecessary glue on it which you could remove and then get a Blue label.  

On 11/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, Axelrod said:

KInd of begs the question, but if you removed the glue, and it wasn't holding anything together, what was the glue even for?  I suspect there is something else going on with this book other than that someone just put some completely unnecessary glue on it which you could remove and then get a Blue label.  

That's what I've been thinking, last night I purchased the graders notes and it says the small amount of glue is on the bottom spine, I'm just not able to see or feel anything.