• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, Slappy Laszlo said:

Nope. Must be some rights issues, I rarely see it on regular TV. They've been playing Robin Hood and Spaceballs on IFC.

I’m still waiting for the sequel they gave a teaser for at the end :insane:

On 11/19/2021 at 6:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

‘The Search For More Money!’

Ooops…spoiler alert. :shy:

Edited by Galen130

On 11/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Your wait is coming to an end.

History of the World, Part II Ordered at Hulu, With Mel Brooks to Write/EP

By Dave Nemetz / October 18 2021, 12:48 PM PDT

Everett Collection

Mel Brooks’ History of the World, Part I is getting another chapter: Hulu has ordered a follow-up series to the 1981 comedy, with Brooks returning as writer and executive producer.

The sequel, titled (of course) History of the World, Part II, will be a variety series consisting of comedy sketches and musical numbers. The original film was set during different periods of world history like the Old Testament, the Roman Empire and the French Revolution. There’s no word yet on which historical periods the new series will tackle, though.

“I can’t wait to once more tell the real truth about all the phony baloney stories the world has been conned into believing are History!” Brooks said in a statement.

Along with Brooks, Part II has lined up an enviable roster of comedy talent to serve as EPs, including Nick Kroll (Big Mouth), Wanda Sykes (The Upshaws), Ike Barinholtz and David Stassen (The Mindy Project) and Kevin Salter, who is working with Brooks on the upcoming special Young Frankenstein Live! for ABC. Part II has secured an eight-episode order at Hulu, with production expected to begin next spring.

The original History of the World, Part 1 hit theaters in 1981, with Brooks starring in a variety of roles including Moses and King Louis XIV. Madeline Kahn, Dom DeLuise, Gregory Hines, Sid Caesar and Cloris Leachman led the ensemble cast, with Orson Welles serving as narrator.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:01 PM, oakman29 said:

It's a company that takes care of your car when it breaks down.

who takes care of the company when it breaks down?

On 11/19/2021 at 9:18 PM, kav said:

who takes care of the company when it breaks down?

Depends on the market value / size of the company and the total value of their political donations...
(currently half watching The Big Short again, so this is a timely reply)

Edited by Troy Division

On 11/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, Troy Division said:

Depends on the market value / size of the company and the total value of their political donations...
(currently half watching The Big Short again, so this is a timely reply)

great film-try 99 Houses too.

• Administrator
On 11/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, COI said:

Just a general, screaming-into-the-void type comment, directed at no one in particular.

I hope I live long enough to see social media administrators of all types across every platform on the internet realize that creating "safe spaces"  that are "all inclusive" is impossible. Once you get more than a few people together in a group, there will be clashes of culture, personality, and just basic temperament. And when you're talking about online communication via the written word, just plain old misunderstandings are inevitable. The type of soft hazing we used to do around here which, in the culture broadly, has fallen way out of fashion, served a purpose. It forced "newbies" to learn to take responsibility for their own feelings, and not expect an already established group to immediately accommodate those feelings. 

My 2 cents about moderation is that the heavy-handed approach does not work. You can draw your limits around outright attacks/insults/threats, but you can't create or control the "climate" from the top down. A more positive climate happens with social cohesion, and social cohesion also cannot be arranged with a bunch of rules. It happens when individuals make an effort to adapt to the group, as opposed to trying to make the group adapt to them.

Just to use the TWSS nonsense as an example, trying to get people to stop saying it by making a rule doesn't work, because the people who are beating everyone to death with it are ignoring social cues. And they can do this because our ability to dish out social cues is dampened by this misguided idea that all conflict is bad and that bullying is a necessary condition to hurt feelings. Stuff like hazing or piling-on when someone is doing something that the majority find annoying are the normal ways in which a group communicates to the "offender" that they need to moderate their own behavior, at which point they either adapt or leave.

Again, just throwing my 2 cents into the void. I'm glad to see CGC throwing some resources into moderation. 

Thank you for your post.  You make some very good points.  I agree that heavy handed moderation is not the way to go. Just before I became "official", I started posting missing rules in most of the FS threads, and allowed people 24 hours to make changes.  I also marked most of the reports complete vs taking action.  I have also communicated will multiple board members privately, to help them understand ways to avoid moderator action.  The ones that listened saw a huge change for the better regarding posting restrictions.  Also, some people that were in conflict have resolved their differences.  Another thing I do is make a post in the thread where an argument is occurring, vs issuing warnings.   In the past, many things were marked under review, and left for an admin, who would show up once a week for an hour.  That led to a lot of warnings, and set a precedent for future moderation action.  Since, I have took over and am here full time, I have taken a different approach.  I first reached out to the admin towards the end of September, saying I would be taking over soon, and explained my new direction.  So, that person basically stopped then. Yesterday, I was looking at 2 graphs.  The 1st graph shows the warnings, and the second shows reported content.  Note the downhill trend.

DSCF0891.JPG

DSCF0894.JPG

On 11/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thank you for your post.  You make some very good points.  I agree that heavy handed moderation is not the way to go. Just before I became "official", I started posting missing rules in most of the FS threads, and allowed people 24 hours to make changes.  I also marked most of the reports complete vs taking action.  I have also communicated will multiple board members privately, to help them understand ways to avoid moderator action.  The ones that listened saw a huge change for the better regarding posting restrictions.  Also, some people that were in conflict have resolved their differences.  Another thing I do is make a post in the thread where an argument is occurring, vs issuing warnings.   In the past, many things were marked under review, and left for an admin, who would show up once a week for an hour.  That led to a lot of warnings, and set a precedent for future moderation action.  Since, I have took over and am here full time, I have taken a different approach.  I first reached out to the admin towards the end of September, saying I would be taking over soon, and explained my new direction.  So, that person basically stopped then. Yesterday, I was looking at 2 graphs.  The 1st graph shows the warnings, and the second shows reported content.  Note the downhill trend.

DSCF0891.JPG

DSCF0894.JPG

Gah!!!  Graphs!!! :fear:

Just kidding.  Good stuff here…👍

On 11/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, CGC Mike said:

DSCF0891.JPG

DSCF0894.JPG

I can explain. 😲

On 11/19/2021 at 7:01 PM, DR.X said:

:roflmao:

Wow. Need more detail.

1. Was anyone else in the bathroom when you let loose?

2. What was the noise level like on a scale from one to ten?

3. Did you break out in a cold sweat?

4. Was there a Star Trek like vapor trail?

Asking for a friend.

1.  I have no clue.  God help them sleep if they were.  

2.  9.2

3.  Yes.  I 100% had a temperature and off and on cold sweats/chills.  After my enormous dump, I had my friend drive my car home so I could lay down.  One of the most uncomfortable naps I have ever had in my life.  

4.  You could definitely get a hint of it on your lips. 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, Galen130 said:

That is NOT what I wanted you to ask!!!  I just wanted you to ask if it was worth eating that burger!!!  Geez!!!

ED75FF35-0F39-4872-A08A-0A0769872666.gif

Yes.  For the record, she called it the Triple-Jumbo.  She claims she had a part in its creation.  If I remember correctly, it was 6 of their regular hamburger patties combined into 3 large patties.  Along with onion, pickles, cheese and whatever else they put on their cheeseburgers.  

It was the absolute most meat I have ever eaten in my entire life.  Yes, I realize that last sentence might bring me some interesting responses.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling