• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, Galen130 said:

Well said!!! (worship)

Also....

Smoking.jpeg

My wife was obsessed with that show. If I even wandered through the room while she was watching it, I'd get the need to step out for a smoke!

On 11/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, Boz ska G G s © ® ™ said:

A wingnut is neither a wing or a nut,

A Flytipper has no wings and doesn't give tips.

A Bluebottle is green and is not a bottle.

A monkey wrench is neither a monkey and has not suffered any lingering discomfort.

etc etc

Language...tis a funny old game.

A hamburger is not really ham...

On 11/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, F For Fake said:

My wife was obsessed with that show. If I even wandered through the room while she was watching it, I'd get the need to step out for a smoke!

I didn't take up smoking while watching "Mad Men," but I dramatically increased my already-prodigious whiskey drinking.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

I may have missed an emoji suggestion deadline as there is so much entertainment in this thread. @CGC Mike how about a good luck emoji? Image result for good luck four leaf clover emoji

:gossip:

imageedit_3_5851161529.gif.43bdad1b8d01a70f960db2009b3dd1fb.gif

• Administrator

Someone has brought up adding a few more reaction emojis.  What do you guys think?  Here is what was posted.

We currently have the five basic 'default' reaction options provided by Invision, the forum software supplier:

• Thanks
  • Confused
  • Sad
  • Haha

reactions.gif.e3e1974c1fe8430b16ad11831af0d962.gif.423edcc6cb2f89959382b80b9b6ea486.gif

There are some interesting discussions about their use on the Invision site, and many users of the software on other forums have requested additional ones. One that caught my eye was the 'plus one' option - here is what it looks like in use:

2109644511_plus1.thumb.PNG.bc678c26d1b185255a9b733c7d4488a4.PNG

Historically, I haven't been a fan of the reactions system but they are firmly embedded now and I don't see that changing. So the next best thing would be to update them, and perhaps tailor them better to our users needs.

I would like to see a basic smiley face myself. When someone makes a post that makes me smile, I sometimes feel that the laugh is too much, but the standard 'like' fails to adequately covey my feelings. I know, I really did just post that.  

Anyway, maybe you could canvass opinion on this, as you have done the emojis? That seemed to get members engaged and freshened things up a bit.

Here are some of the options I saw on the Invision site:

smile.thumb.PNG.49a0ad52aebf5bccf79e937be6e37b1e.PNG

On 11/24/2021 at 8:00 AM, CGC Mike said:

Does the 4th one from the left, 2nd row, have it's hair on fire?

Do you have  a lexicon, lol? I'd be afraid of liking a few of those and not knowing what they meant. Plus+ would be a historical "like" for this forum. However you get less typing with these, wouldn't it cause less people to actually engage and post? Plus wouldn't it allow more people who use the system to just post negative reactions and run away, to use it that way? I know that was an issue when people were on time outs, was it fixed?

:fourleafclover:

Edited by skypinkblu

• Administrator

I wouldn't be in favor of adding any that could widely be used to troll but, would consider a +1 or smile emoji.  Leaning heavy towards a +1  

I think that emojis only replace posts that include a quote with a laugh, thumbs up or similar emoji reply.  If someone truly has something to add, they will post.  

On 11/24/2021 at 6:00 AM, CGC Mike said:

Someone has brought up adding a few more reaction emojis.  What do you guys think?  Here is what was posted.

We currently have the five basic 'default' reaction options provided by Invision, the forum software supplier:

• Thanks
  • Confused
  • Sad
  • Haha

reactions.gif.e3e1974c1fe8430b16ad11831af0d962.gif.423edcc6cb2f89959382b80b9b6ea486.gif

There are some interesting discussions about their use on the Invision site, and many users of the software on other forums have requested additional ones. One that caught my eye was the 'plus one' option - here is what it looks like in use:

Historically, I haven't been a fan of the reactions system but they are firmly embedded now and I don't see that changing. So the next best thing would be to update them, and perhaps tailor them better to our users needs.

I would like to see a basic smiley face myself. When someone makes a post that makes me smile, I sometimes feel that the laugh is too much, but the standard 'like' fails to adequately covey my feelings. I know, I really did just post that.  

Anyway, maybe you could canvass opinion on this, as you have done the emojis? That seemed to get members engaged and freshened things up a bit.

1st row, last column. 

3rd row, 2nd column. 

Those are benign enough to not cause problems, but also likely to be used regularly. 

On 11/25/2021 at 12:00 AM, CGC Mike said:

• Thanks
  • Confused
  • Sad
  • Haha

Just no.

Theres enough wah-wah-wah when someone 'likes' a post, let alone adding more options to 'bully people'.

Can't see this helping much.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:22 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I didn't take up smoking while watching "Mad Men," but I dramatically increased my already-prodigious whiskey drinking.

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well!

But, given your preference in funny books, I already knew that....Matt! :Rocket::D

On 11/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, CGC Mike said:

• Thanks
  • Confused
  • Sad
  • Haha

adding:
first row 4,5,6

second row 1,2
third row 5
should be harmless and add range of reaction expressions.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:13 PM, MrBedrock said:

Insincere judgement and false indignation are two amusing things that definitely keep me visiting the boards.

I thought it was the booze and sex that brought you here….