• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I am going to ask that people stop using this phrase:

"That's what she said"

This is being posted in multiple threads.  We would like to attract female collectors to this site.  This type of comment doesn't help us accomplish that.  

Thanks

On 11/14/2021 at 7:57 AM, CGC Mike said:

"That's what she said"

This is being posted in multiple threads.  We would like to attract female collectors to this site.  This type of comment doesn't help us accomplish that.  

Thanks

That is ridiculous. Seriously. 100% ridiculous and if I feel it fits I will continue using it. 

• Administrator
On 11/14/2021 at 8:04 AM, Bird said:

That is ridiculous. Seriously. 100% ridiculous and if I feel it fits I will continue using it. 

That is fine but, if it is continued to be used to the magnitude that is is now, I will add it to the list of spoon words/phrases, and enforce it that way.  

On 11/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, CGC Mike said:

That is fine but, if it is continued to be used to the magnitude that is is now, I will add it to the list of spoon words/phrases, and enforce it that way.  

No Fun Boards. People can't have nice things I guess. Seriously a damper on the fun. I agree it is out of control at the minute (and I have not used it much lately) but it will go by the wayside soon enough and level off. banning phrases is so not the way to go in any way shape or form. These are normal words bring used as a reference to pop culture...you know what, whatever. It isn't worth debate. 

On 11/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Bird said:

No Fun Boards. People can't have nice things I guess. Seriously a damper on the fun. I agree it is out of control at the minute (and I have not used it much lately) but it will go by the wayside soon enough and level off. banning phrases is so not the way to go in any way shape or form. These are normal words bring used as a reference to pop culture...you know what, whatever. It isn't worth debate. 

I think it is worth debating, in the moderation discussion forum. You say yourself that it is 'out of control' and Mike is here to control. So saying his decision is '100% wrong', respectfully, isn't a great debating tactic Bird. There is a discussion to be had about the overuse of the same phrases and gifs. If I see the 'boy that escalated quickly' meme one more time I will punch the screen. That kind of thing. If we had some gentle guidance, and people used their heads, we wouldn't have to have the rule. But it can't be productive for a member to post the same phrase 100 times a week, if the use of that phrase misses the point of why it would be used in the first place. Use it wisely, selectively, it's funny. Use it just in response to everything and anything, it's boring and irritating. Not to everyone, but likely to some. Many, perhaps. A discussion would drive that out.

• Administrator

Exactly.  I don't want to have to ban any phrase that doesn't violate the terms of use.  However, I also do not want to see this phrase every time I click on a thread, and that is what's happening.  I looked at one person's post, and it was used 15 times in 2 days.  I am certainly willing to overlook the occasional use but, the over use has been going on for months, and is not slowing down.  

On 11/14/2021 at 8:20 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think it is worth debating, in the moderation discussion forum. You say yourself that it is 'out of control' and Mike is here to control. So saying his decision is '100% wrong', respectfully, isn't a great debating tactic Bird. There is a discussion to be had about the overuse of the same phrases and gifs. If I see the 'boy that escalated quickly' meme one more time I will punch the screen. That kind of thing. If we had some gentle guidance, and people used their heads, we wouldn't have to have the rule. But it can't be productive for a member to post the same phrase 100 times a week, if the use of that phrase misses the point of why it would be used in the first place. Use it wisely, selectively, it's funny. Use it just in response to everything and anything, it's boring and irritating. Not to everyone, but likely to some. Many, perhaps. A discussion would drive that out.

I myself don't want to debate his decision. And he stated what he was going to do, he didn't ask for debate or pros/cons. It is early Sunday morning and I am not going to be angered by this all day. Let's add tree fiddy while we're at it.

See, getting angry. Gotta go. You enjoy the debate so I will let you have at it. Let's take all personality away. 

And the stated reason about women boardies is ridiculous as well. Yeah, we've been here for decades and THAT is why women don't come around. Sure.

My head is literally pounding. If someone doesn't like it but terms of service aren't broken, let's ban it anyway.

Edited by Bird

@Get Marwood & II hope I do not come off at angry towards you. I have watched you fight the good fight, but I have no desire to us my energy tilting at windmills. That even sounds condescending but it is not meant to be. Mike can control, but punishing the class for the class clown's behavior is tired. Decisions seem well thought out so far but this is a not that. Out of control as it may be (and overused is a better descriptor), it is essentially benign.

I am a ram and there are other rams here, so I am ready willing and able to lower my head and have at it. But I am a human, so I try not to be that ram. So I gotta go as logic won't work.

Edited by Bird
my punctionation and spelling go wonky when I am angry

On 11/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, Bird said:

@Get Marwood & II hope I do not come off at angry towards you. I have watched you fight the good fight, but I have no desire to us my energy tilting at windmills. That even sounds condescending but it is not meant to be. Mike can control, but punishing the class for the class clown's behavior is tired. Decisions seem well thought out so far but this is a not that.

I am a ram and there are other rams here, so I am ready willing and able to lower my head and have at it. But I am a human, so I try not to be that ram. So I gotta go as logic won't work.

Don't worry about it. We're all here for the same reason, we all get annoyed or angry every once in a while. And if you have followed me 'fighting the good fight', you'll know that I hate it when we all suffer because the powers that be can't target the actions of a few in isolation (see likes removal).

A discussion would drive out the true intentions here. I don't think it's as straightforward as "don't say the following words" and you'll see Mike didn't threaten points or anything. I think he's trying to encourage people to just calm down a bit where they go overboard with the same thing all the time. When I first joined I went on a gif rampage and got on everyone's nerves. It came to a head and one of the elder statesmen gave me a right talking to. I was all indignant at the time, but I now see he was right. If I post the same phrase a hundred times everywhere to the amusement of a small group, that small group find it hilarious. But others don't and Mike is trying to find the balance I think. It isn't about stopping other peoples fun. It's just a gentle coax to say, "calm down a bit". If it works, I'm sure you will get to use the phrase judiciously, and we'll all laugh. 

On 11/14/2021 at 4:57 AM, CGC Mike said:

"That's what she said"

Except for the lovely Sharon are there really girls that come here? I better get all slickideed up for my mother figure.

image.png.2b2527a7eddc0ada4e045930e42a6e12.png

On 11/14/2021 at 5:32 AM, CGC Mike said:

Exactly.  I don't want to have to ban any phrase that doesn't violate the terms of use.  However, I also do not want to see this phrase every time I click on a thread, and that is what's happening.  I looked at one person's post, and it was used 15 times in 2 days.  I am certainly willing to overlook the occasional use but, the over use has been going on for months, and is not slowing down.  

I know kav can be a pest, but he's really a gentle soul.

🤔 (I better bite my tongue)🙊

On 11/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, oakman29 said:

Don't you...handle...pests?

Edited by Bird
I have him on ignore, but if that is the issue deal with him even if that is harder than dealing with us all

• Administrator

If everyone take into consideration with what I have said, and stop using it  ALL THE TIME, I won't put the phrase on the spoon list.  I don't think it's too much to ask.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, Bird said:

Don't you...handle...pests?

I guess that's why he gravitates to me,  but really kav is a very good person,  he has a quick wit about himself. He's really a great guy,  and like you described he adds a personality to this board.

And besides I like him. He's very intelligent,  and funny, and a smart guy given the opportunity. 

• Administrator
On 11/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, oakman29 said:
On 11/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, CGC Mike said:

My post wasn't just about Kav.  He wasn't the person that used it 15 times in 2 days.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

If everyone take into consideration with what I have said, and stop using it  ALL THE TIME, I won't put the phrase on the spoon list.  I don't think it's too much to ask.

No I dont think it's too much to ask. I have never posted that ever. I think it can be childish, but it is a slippery slope. In the large scheme of things it is your message board, and if I want to remain here I must abide.  (Probably a run on sentence, sorry)

Isn't the increased use exactly what you want to happen on a message board? It seems to be a mostly organic increase in use because people want to join in the fun. At least that is what I see.  It snowballed after rolling around for a while. Now its a thing here. Like Phil's parking lot it will come and go. But increased use among posters is a good thing, isn;t it? Isn't that what a community is? And communities are like parfait, they have layers.

Why stick a note in the hall if you are already visiting individual profiles?