• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2021 at 6:39 AM, Bird said:

Isn't the increased use exactly what you want to happen on a message board? It seems to be a mostly organic increase in use because people want to join in the fun. At least that is what I see.  It snowballed after rolling around for a while. Now its a thing here. Like Phil's parking lot it will come and go. But increased use among posters is a good thing, isn;t it? Isn't that what a community is? And communities are like parfait, they have layers.

Why stick a note in the hall if you are already visiting individual profiles? 

Common sense is not so common these days. Or maybe our CGC Mike is just new around here, and he doesnt get it yet.🤔

We seem to be having a moderation discussion outside of the moderation discussion thread, again, so any value / outcome will be lost as, in time, people will forget where it took place.

That said, my contribution to the discussion on this is that I think the community can police itself, with the occasional prod from moderation when things get out of hand. The 'that's what she said' brigade started up in one of the threads I created a while back, I asked them nicely to take it elsewhere and to be fair they did. As far as its wider use goes, if it were me, as moderator, and I felt that phrase was becoming a problem, I would tell the individuals who I felt were making it a problem, privately, what I expected of them. That would be my right, as moderator. They could discuss it with me, and maybe change my mind, but my decision would be final. If they then complained to me the first time someone else used the phrase, claiming inconsistency, I would remind them that the repetition from them was the issue, not the occasional one off use. 

All we need, I think, are general cues from moderation and targeted advices to those who are pushing the boundaries. The people who get to decide what the boundaries are, and who has overstepped them, are the moderation staff. If we don't like that, we can discuss it with them. If their decision still stands, that's it.

@CGC Mike Mike - the phrase in question is a reference to popular culture. Are you saying that the perceived offence to women associated with that phrase is the issue, and therefore it should not be used at all here, or was your intention to try to just regulate it's overuse? If the latter, that is the general cue to all members - don't post the same thing a 100 times a week, whether it is this phrase, a gif or some other comment. Be reasonable. If it is the former however, I would make it a rule in the Moderation framework and then moderate those who break it. 

On 11/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

@CGC Mike Mike - the phrase in question is a reference to popular culture. Are you saying that the perceived offence to women associated with that phrase is the issue, and therefore it should not be used at all here, or was your intention to try to just regulate it's overuse? If the latter, that is the general cue to all members - don't post the same thing a 100 times a week, whether it is this phrase, a gif or some other comment. Be reasonable. If it is the former however, make it a rule in the Moderation framework and then moderate those who break it. 

Mike, sorry, I didn't see your earlier post here which answers the question I posed above:

On 11/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, snitzer said:

Politics aren’t allowed. Censoring language is 100% political these days.

"Oh dear!" said the cat. "You do not like our game...Oh, dear. What a shame! What a shame! What a shame!"

On 11/14/2021 at 4:13 PM, oakman29 said:

I get it Bob. I'm not the guy doing the pushing of the envelope here. There is a certain comradery in some of these jokes too. I mean the ole Phil's parking lot always brings a thought of the time when that one board member had his FDQ moment , and we all kinda had our fun with that.  Or the other things like  tree fiddy, and how about that bozo who sold his Tales of Suspense 39 for car rims. In a weird way it kinda brings us all together.  It's our history,  our soul, our community. 

And that can continue Oak, that shared comradery. We can still have the things that bind us together, our FDQs, our "That's what she saids", our "Tree fiddys" our Phil's car lot recollections and our "Whoops, my bottom's farteds".

All Mike is asking is that we don't post those same things a hundred times a week. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And that can continue Oak, that shared comradery. We can still have the things that bind us together, our FDQs, our "That's what she saids", our "Tree fiddys" our Phil's car lot recollections and our "Whoops, my bottom's farteds".

All Mike is asking is that we don't post those same things a hundred times a week. 

I'm fine with all that my friend.  I was never a fan of the "that's what she said " thing anyway. I just dont think cleaning house of everything is good. So thank you for easing my mind that we are still able to not be moderated to the point of extinction. 

On 11/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, blazingbob said:

Lets not turn this into "I love you Man" thread

Bob I love you man.🤟

Edited by oakman29
You are actually one of only a handful of dealers I trust in this world

On 11/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, oakman29 said:

I'm fine with all that my friend.  I was never a fan of the "that's what she said " thing anyway. I just dont think cleaning house of everything is good. So thank you for easing my mind that we are still able to not be moderated to the point of extinction. 

You're welcome Oak. If I've overstepped the mark by suggesting we won't be moderated to the point of extinction, and that all that was being asked for today was for some people to show some reasonable restraint, I'm sure Mike will put me straight.