• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

You can still read post from 20 years ago. My guess 99 percent of people are wrong. From digital comics killing off printed ones to the bubble is going to burst. Tons of comics have gotten too expensive posts. Read your heart out. Maybe find something interesting to share.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:36 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

All three of those questions can be answered by doing a little research. 

The post is the research :baiting:

On 11/4/2021 at 9:53 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I care.  It’s the reason I won’t buy a slabbed book for my personal collection.   Nothing special about a 9.0 that’s been restored into a 9.4

I have no opinion one way or the other so please don't take this wrong, but I am very curious as to why you feel that way. I do realize this was debated at length, but I am new.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, oakman29 said:

Well for people who like the thrill of the hunt to find a pristine condition copy in the wild , this conversation means an awful lot to some.

I see.  Mint books become less rare with pressing, but I don't see how that is a bad thing.  Again, not judging just understanding.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:46 PM, oakman29 said:

Regardless of what people here say, pressing IS restoration.  Manipulating a book to look better or grade higher is the very definition of restoration.  I reject it. I would be more pleased to find a near mint condition copy instead of a manipulated book. Pretty simple really.

This is a very interesting take. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:46 PM, oakman29 said:

Regardless of what people here say, pressing IS restoration.  Manipulating a book to look better or grade higher is the very definition of restoration.  I reject it. I would be more pleased to find a near mint condition copy instead of a manipulated book. Pretty simple really.

Yep,totally understand and agree it's "restoration", but if I was buying a book to bring home, I would want it to be in the best condition it could be.  I have art hanging on my living room wall, and it has been "restored", but it gives me no less pleasure when I examine the art.  Again, we each choose our own preferences, and I respect yours immensely, but I am willing to purchase "restored" works without prejudice, and I think that increases the market, and I believe THAT is a good thing.Thank you for sharing your opinion!

I think many people believe there's something underhanded and deceptive about pressing. The fact that CGC doesn't even have a pressed label, when they themselves have full knowledge of the action shows they are intentionally omitting  disclosure, likely because, much like a purple label it would devalue the item. Secondly, no one really knows the long term effect of applying heat and moisture and pressing to comics ephemera as yet, and no concrete studies have been applied that I know of.

Hope I didn't open up any wounds here, and sorry to derail thread. But it was a big topic then, not so much anymore.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/4/2021 at 8:02 PM, bronze_rules said:

I think people believe there's something underhanded about pressing. The fact that CGC doesn't even have a pressed label, when they themselves have full knowledge of the action shows they are intentionally lacking disclosure, likely because, much like a purple label it would devalue the item.

Maybe if they did, then people wouldn't buy a 9.6 and ask for a refund when they realize it can't be pressed into a 9.8