• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any Keys that are just 'Blah' to you?
4 4

136 posts in this topic

108590111_MarvelSuperHeroContestofChampions1.thumb.jpg.dc08bb1b6bbd967f20d4cd987b4e14aa.jpg

Minor key. First Marvel miniseries. First multi-title crossover. Lame. And why does almost ever character appear as though their eyes have been redrawn to look up?

Whatever you do, do not ever read Brave and the Bold #34. Such a great Kubert cover, but the silver age Hawkman relaunch is painful to read, however good the idea was.

I actually enjoyed Avengers annual 10; lots going on in there, and it’s an awesome display of Iron Man as he pretty much tips the battle single-handedly.

I’ll give you the flipside too — a key I figured was overhyped but actually delivers big time — Betty and Veronica #75, where they sell their souls to the devil. Pretty shocking for silver age Archie.

Love Batman, love this cover, wanted this book for a long time - I have a graded copy and this copy (both 2nd prints, but that doesn't bug me, it looks the same as the 1st). But the story inside just isn't great at all...

1999236632_Batman423.thumb.jpeg.0b1c079c787afdb47ef27083af7a211a.jpeg

Edited by Jesse-Lee

One of the problems with "keys" is that most of them are "1st appearance of Timmy McGuffin" stories. And I think we all know at this point that character intro stories are lame more often than they are good... even for characters who turn out to be unique and interesting down the line. Comics have a limited amount of space to tell the issue's story while also tossing a new character in, explaining who they are and what they can do, and at least hinting at where they came from. Plus, early installment weirdness plagues a lot of first appearances; whatever your opinion of IH181, the IH181 version of Wolverine is quite a bit different from the character as we understand him now.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, lizards2 said:

Almost all of them.

This. Where do I begin. How about 1st appearances with terrible covers dc presents 26, avengers annual 10, xmen 244, hawkman 4. Those books could contain the 1st supes or spidey and I wouldn't care. I like my character on the cover. Great covers ruined by garbage. A bunch of text or floating heads, johhny going to college, don't care about karen page. Anything marvel now or dc rebirth. Any modern book with glossy pages that has a reprint. Give me the ultimate fallout 4 reprint. A slightly different bar code and for $2,500 yes how do I say no. Knock off characters. I don't care about the first appearance of catwoman in a marvel comic asm 194 even though decent cover, Hawkeye aka marvels green arrow aka dcs robin hood etc. But I find X-Men to be superior to doom patrol and wolverine is the coolest clawed character and both great covers. Speaking of guys with bows I feel the same about guys with swords and guns and girls, yeah black widow. Punisher has that cool skull, taskmaster deathstroke deadpool all look cool but just guys with guns. I get it, only so many things you can do. Most  1st silver age appearance. Hal Jordan Barry Allen sure. But avengers ff 4 ? They appeared numerous times before that, can care less if its the first time in 8 or 12 years or whatever it is. FF1 a lil too pricey for marvels 1st super team and 1st thing. Besides that I seen a human torch, a stretchy guy, and invisible woman before. And I won't even talk about their first uniforms or car. Last but not least any race sex religion political change. I like spiderman. Don't care about any other spiderman or woman or girl or clone. I like grey green banner hulk. Any other color, sex or race I don't care about. Batman is great. But can care less about any bat woman girl or any of the teenage boys who do the same thing while wearing green panties. 

On 11/5/2021 at 10:22 PM, Thisisrequired said:
On 11/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, lizards2 said:

Almost all of them.

This. Where do I begin. How about 1st appearances with terrible covers dc presents 26, avengers annual 10, xmen 244, hawkman 4. Those books could contain the 1st supes or spidey and I wouldn't care. I like my character on the cover. Great covers ruined by garbage. A bunch of text or floating heads, johhny going to college, don't care about karen page. Anything marvel now or dc rebirth. Any modern book with glossy pages that has a reprint. Give me the ultimate fallout 4 reprint. A slightly different bar code and for $2,500 yes how do I say no. Knock off characters. I don't care about the first appearance of catwoman in a marvel comic asm 194 even though decent cover, Hawkeye aka marvels green arrow aka dcs robin hood etc. But I find X-Men to be superior to doom patrol and wolverine is the coolest clawed character and both great covers. Speaking of guys with bows I feel the same about guys with swords and guns and girls, yeah black widow. Punisher has that cool skull, taskmaster deathstroke deadpool all look cool but just guys with guns. I get it, only so many things you can do. Most  1st silver age appearance. Hal Jordan Barry Allen sure. But avengers ff 4 ? They appeared numerous times before that, can care less if its the first time in 8 or 12 years or whatever it is. FF1 a lil too pricey for marvels 1st super team and 1st thing. Besides that I seen a human torch, a stretchy guy, and invisible woman before. And I won't even talk about their first uniforms or car. Last but not least any race sex religion political change. I like spiderman. Don't care about any other spiderman or woman or girl or clone. I like grey green banner hulk. Any other color, sex or race I don't care about. Batman is great. But can care less about any bat woman girl or any of the teenage boys who do the same thing while wearing green panties. 

What about She-Hulk in purple panties? 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, grendelbo said:

Great cover. I had the poster (with a green Hulk) on my wall as a teen. Everything inside is blah. Classic cover. Debatable if it's even a minor key.

After a handful or so of books everything is a minor key. Iconic cover for majority of people. Just wait until a trailer drops with them fighting or showing that refection in his claws.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:58 PM, chrisco37 said:

Batman 227 has a cool cover and nothing else but people go crazy over it.
Many of the newer “keys” are weak, IMO.  ASM 344, for example.  Bad cover.  Horrendous Larsen artwork.   

I am all for a great cover. I personally don't call them keys but can see why people do. If it's worth more than surrounding issues then it's something. What makes something a key is a matter of opinion. 

On 11/5/2021 at 10:06 PM, kav said:

NM 98, iron man drunk cover, first venom, carnage, ugh the list goes on and on nd on.

You might be pickier than me. I don't have any of those but I get it. Deadpool is popular. Iron man drunk always been desirable. Venom 300, todd was the man, fairly original. Carnage is just another venom for me but solid cover. 

On 11/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, grendelbo said:

108590111_MarvelSuperHeroContestofChampions1.thumb.jpg.dc08bb1b6bbd967f20d4cd987b4e14aa.jpg

Minor key. First Marvel miniseries. First multi-title crossover. Lame. And why does almost ever character appear as though their eyes have been redrawn to look up?

hippie hulk