• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any Keys that are just 'Blah' to you?
4 4

136 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, followtheleader said:

Always been a big X-men fan. 

But never cared for 94, 120, or 121. 

Why 94?  Just enjoy GSXM 1 so much more and thought 94 was always overpriced. 

Why 120/121?  Alpha Flight? Come on.  

Patrick

Agree on most. I find giant size story awful but good cover and the 1st appearances. 1st Canadian X-Men? Only slightly more important as justice league Europe or west coast avengers because of the 1st appearances of characters I don't care about.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:04 AM, Thisisrequired said:

Carnage is just another venom for me but solid cover. 

568234448_AmazingSpider-Man361.thumb.jpg.032498153a1d6a896d3b18042564dc97.jpg

It's taken 30 years but the cover has grown on me. Never a fan of clones. Except Maddox.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:21 AM, grendelbo said:

568234448_AmazingSpider-Man361.thumb.jpg.032498153a1d6a896d3b18042564dc97.jpg

It's taken 30 years but the cover has grown on me. Never a fan of clones. Except Maddox.

Everything is personal preference. I like the cover. The 2nd print even more. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, lizards2 said:

Are there any key comicbooks out there that just don't do anything for you?

Almost all of them.

Agreed.  All are "ok" to "whatever".  It's only a comic book, not some Renaissance master's painting.

And there is no such word as "comicbooks".  It's still 2 words, "comic books", hopefully always will be.

Edited by Lightning55

On 11/6/2021 at 12:47 AM, Lightning55 said:

And there is no such word as "comicbooks".  It's still 2 words, "comic books", hopefully always will be

Dunno.

Screenshot_20211106-011057_Chrome.thumb.jpg.899972a1fb8a620b67d877103dcc262e.jpg

I think I read it in a Stan's Soapbox decades ago. It stuck as something unique. Anyone know the editorial I'm referring to?

On 11/6/2021 at 1:12 AM, grendelbo said:

I think I read it in a Stan's Soapbox decades ago.

Nope. More recently.

“Speaking of customs, there is very important thing I’d like to mention to your viewers worldwide. Most people who write the word comicbook write it as 2 words. Don’t ever let them do that again. Because when you write comicbook as 2 words it means a comic…book. A funny book. That’s not what comicbooks necessarily are. It should always be written as one word. That makes it a thing, a comicbook! Sets it apart from everything else. But calling it a comic book, as 2 words, that’s like saying it’s a science-fiction book or it’s a love story. No, it’s a comicbook, one word!”

The whole thing is a misnomer.  It is not necessarily comic (funny), nor a book.  Books aren't usually stapled together, so it is more correctly called a magazine.  Probably the more accepted term now is graphic novel, which would be interpreted as a story in words and pictures, whatever the format.

It's probably not fair to say its not a key, but GSX1 is one book I just never cared about. 

I've owned a few copies and can't even remember what I did with them (traded for something else I'm sure) It just didn't excite me. 

Also alot of books like FF94 that no one cared about until the character popped in a movie or TV show. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:44 PM, OtherEric said:

Suspense 3.  Not only is the book garbage other than the cover, it's not even the best cover of the run.  (If I could have any issue of the run I would take Cole's #8 over Schomburg's #3 any day.)

:whatthe:

I love that book!!! Even if I'll never own it. 

Suspense 8 is awesome as well. Really, every cover in that run was fantastic, but I think Schomburg's was brilliant. 

Out of curiosity did you ever read the stories inside? I haven't, but I would be curious if they are bad? Or just underwhelm compared to the cover. 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, grendelbo said:

1719077510_IncredibleHulk340.thumb.jpg.96bad7f24d7a7223b84ece92b72f1339.jpg

Great cover. I had the poster (with a green Hulk) on my wall as a teen. Everything inside is blah. Classic cover. Debatable if it's even a minor key.

Hard disagree about the inside being blah.  Half my collection is Wolverine / X-Men, and he's been my favorite since 1985, and 340 has one of the best fights in 40 years.  Along with one of the best and most iconic covers in modern comics.  I generally only consider firsts keys, but if we are including classic covers, then this is for sure up there.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 11/6/2021 at 6:15 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I like his costume. Not enough to keep a copy though. 

I concur.